GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,977 Posts
Wonder if they'll do monthly subscriptions. Like if you know you're going on a bunch of road trips one month you can access SuperCruise for a month.
GM offered a vehicle subscription service called Book by Cadillac a few years ago that charged customers a flat monthly fee (month-to-month membership). But that service was cancelled after less than two years of operation.

(240) Cadillac Ends $1,800-a-Month Car Subscription Service | GM Inside News Forum

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
GM offered a vehicle subscription service called Book by Cadillac a few years ago that charged customers a flat monthly fee (month-to-month membership). But that service was cancelled after less than two years of operation.

(240) Cadillac Ends $1,800-a-Month Car Subscription Service | GM Inside News Forum
Your comments and reading this slide, reminds me of companies like GE - General Electric, the "diversified and grow" line; their revenue sure grew, getting into TV/Broadcasting, Healthcare, Banking/Finance, now look at them today................

Also a bit closer to home, looking at GM's past, Locomotion, Refrigeration, Hughes Electronics, EDS, GMAC - It's almost like we've been here before!?

Organism World Font Electric blue Technology

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Your comments and reading this slide, reminds me of companies like GE - General Electric, the "diversified and grow" line; their revenue sure grew, getting into TV/Broadcasting, Healthcare, Banking/Finance, now look at them today................

Also a bit closer to home, looking at GM's past, Locomotion, Refrigeration, Hughes Electronics, EDS, GMAC - It's almost like we've been here before!?

View attachment 64582
Well said Ed753! As Henry Kissinger once said, "History is a tale of efforts that failed, of aspirations that weren’t realized."

And as we know, history repeats itself - at GE, at GM, and at many other organizations.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,294 Posts
Your comments and reading this slide, reminds me of companies like GE - General Electric, the "diversified and grow" line; their revenue sure grew, getting into TV/Broadcasting, Healthcare, Banking/Finance, now look at them today...............
Better look at a very successful diversified Toyota Industries.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Toyota Industries is successful because it has consistently applied a "small‐wins strategy" based on decentralization, operational excellence, simplicity, acquisitions, and customer focus for over 90 years.

Is it reasonable to expect that GE or GM will pull that off in the current business environment? I'm not overly optimistic.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Interestingly, J.D. Power shared this information from its just released 2021 U.S. Tech Experience Index Study:

Newest Vehicle Technologies Going Unused—Many Owners Don’t Intend to Ever Use Them, J.D. Power Finds
Interesting... I really like all the tech, but it has to be easy and or automatic to use. One reason I didn't wait for supercruise to come to the CT4 is that it isn't worth it to me - I can't remember the last time I used cruise control. So if I'm not using 30 year old tech it doesn't bode well for newer advancements with me.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts

I can't speak to that, I don't know anything about it; I think some of GM's ideas will work, how much is the question........

Toyota Industries is successful because it has consistently applied a "small‐wins strategy" based on decentralization, operational excellence, simplicity, acquisitions, and customer focus for over 90 years.

Is it reasonable to expect that GE or GM will pull that off in the current business environment? I'm not overly optimistic.
At the end, during the question and answer period a question about the software side of thing came up, the guy in charge of that business unit said something to the effect, (not a direct quote).
"That is a really good question and we are not exactly sure how this is going to all play out"

Wait-WUT, didn't you just tell me how this is going to play out, but when I ask for details, you have no idea!?

There was a lot of what I call "Tesla Bashing" buried in entire presentation, looking at the valuation between the two companies it's obvious why.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Wonder if they'll do monthly subscriptions. Like if you know you're going on a bunch of road trips one month you can access SuperCruise for a month.
For those of us living in the present or the recent past, there is no mystery. Features such as OnStar and XM/SiriusXM have been monthly subscriptions for more than two decades. Before everyone owned a smart phone, mobile calls were billed on an annual basis for minutes that could be replenished on demand.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,360 Posts
If this "Investor Day" thing was all about raising the stock price--and executive bonuses--it seems to working. GM stock up again this morning.

So to that degree it's a success.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,360 Posts
One more thing, I think I saw in there they're projecting 40-50% EVs by 2030. That means 50-60% ICE by 2030, so, yes, there will be plenty of ICEs around for many years.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
If this "Investor Day" thing was all about raising the stock price--and executive bonuses--it seems to working. GM stock up again this morning.

So to that degree it's a success.
I was going to bring that up, but then I looked at $F over the last couple days, and it was up more; so $GM investors thought it was good and $F investors thought it was great?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I was going to bring that up, but then I looked at $F over the last couple days, and it was up more; so $GM investors thought it was good and $F investors thought it was great?

GM is currently $58.59 a share, up 3.77%, Ford is $15.13 up 1.54%, clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
GM is currently $58.59 a share, up 3.77%, Ford is $15.13 up 1.54%, clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

Investor day was Wednesday and Thursday, what you are showing is price action for Friday.
- So I'm guessing when I looked (sometime on Wednesday and/or Thursday) Friday's gains weren't there?

Ford: YTD +69%, 52-Week High $16.45, Friday's Close $15.12 (-7.6% below 52-Week High)
GM: YTD +41%, 52-Week High $64.30, Friday's Close $58.57 (-8.9% below 52-Week High)

I am not here to give financial advice, but I don't recommend anyone take it from someone that had foreclosure and/or bankruptcy in their past; but maybe that's just me?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts

Investor day was Wednesday and Thursday, what you are showing is price action for Friday.
- So I'm guessing when I looked (sometime on Wednesday and/or Thursday) Friday's gains weren't there?

Ford: YTD +69%, 52-Week High $16.45, Friday's Close $15.12 (-7.6% below 52-Week High)
GM: YTD +41%, 52-Week High $64.30, Friday's Close $58.57 (-8.9% below 52-Week High)

I am not here to give financial advice, but I don't recommend anyone take it from someone that had foreclosure and/or bankruptcy in their past; but maybe that's just me?
You're explanation is laughable at best and I caught you in a lie so you responded with a personal attack. You clearly don't understand the market and the way it's been hit lately. As if the 52 week high is a relevant measurement with what has been happening lately. Your constant need to try to make Ford look better reeks of desperation, grow up.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
You're explanation is laughable at best and I caught you in a lie so you responded with a personal attack. You clearly don't understand the market and the way it's been hit lately. As if the 52 week high is a relevant measurement with what has been happening lately. Your constant need to try to make Ford look better reeks of desperation, grow up.
"Personal Attack" Where?

I've actually commented quite positively on GM's presentation this week, me stating I'm skeptical on some of their revenue ideas, is reality.

And in general when a company goes from saying "Just wait until next year!" to "Just wait until 2030!" everyone should raise an eyebrow!

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
On Wednesday, October 6th the day I looked at GM (and Ford's) stock price.
GM: Open $54.49, High $55.50, Close $53.93 (Down $0.56) -1.02%
Ford: Open $14.14, High $14.34, Close $14.12 (Down $0.02) -0.14%

And back to your personal attack, I never said anything directly about you, I'm sorry if that's what you thought, but as a CFP it's something I've learned and believe. Regardless, when you said (and I quote) "clearly you don't know what you are talking about" that most certainly was a personal attack, but you do you, I understand.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Interesting... I really like all the tech, but it has to be easy and or automatic to use. One reason I didn't wait for supercruise to come to the CT4 is that it isn't worth it to me - I can't remember the last time I used cruise control. So if I'm not using 30 year old tech it doesn't bode well for newer advancements with me.
You don't use cruise control too often?!...Why not. I use it just about anywhere I can.

I wonder who else who posts here uses or doesn't use CC (cruise control)?.

Would anyone like to throw in there 2 cents on whether they do or don't use at least CC?

As for any other techy convenience; I have no interest in tech. As a matter of fact my 3 daily drivers (my 2 personal cars and the truck I drive for work) are sans tech and I like it that way.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
You don't use cruise control too often?!...Why not. I use it just about anywhere I can.

I wonder who else who posts here uses or doesn't use CC (cruise control)?.

Would anyone like to throw in there 2 cents on whether they do or don't use at least CC?

As for any other techy convenience; I have no interest in tech. As a matter of fact my 3 daily drivers (my 2 personal cars and the truck I drive for work) are sans tech and I like it that way.
I can't remember the last time I used cruise control, maybe a decade ago?

I never feel like it is doing anything for me, I still have to pay attention to the road and steer - I might as well run the accelerator. I want full self driving that I don't have to pay attention to, or bust!

When I first started driving I did use cruise control. But I'm going to blame that one on my dad (no, I don't have father issues :D) - the driving position he showed me how to use was to close to the wheel and very uncomfortable on my ankle (to this day his ankle gets tired). So I started using cruise control to let my ankle rest. After a few years I sez to myself that this driving position is nuts and figured out something a lot more comfortable, once I was comfortable I no longer felt the need to use cruise control.

Though I should give my new car's cruise control a shot since it has the speed modulation. That was my other issue as I live in the Northeast with all the congested roads, much of the time I'd get caught behind someone and have to turn off the cruise control, then when the roads were wide open, I'd want to enjoy them.

And yes - I'm interested to know how many people do/do not use cruise control.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts