GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

gm investing millions in plant upgrades for v8 engines

It’d seem not all development dollars at automakers are being shoveled toward electric vehicles. The General has just announced it is plowing $918 million into a quartet of American production facilities, some of which will shore up production of V8 engines.

Specifically, GM says these funds include $854 million in preparation to produce the company’s sixth-generation Small Block V8 engine, setting the company up to continue supporting its full-size truck and SUV programs. A little over two-thirds of the cash is earmarked for Flint Engine Operations where the 6th-gen family of Small Block V8s will be assembled along with the related block, crank, and head machining. During these multi-million dollar renos, the place will continue cranking out the 3.0-liter Duramax.

Elsewhere, Bay City GPS in Michigan will be set up to build cams and connecting rods that’ll support the Flint operations, while Defiance Operations in Ohio is going to see prep work for building a variety of block castings to support future V8 engine programs. Those same programs will be supported by an injection of cash into Rochester operations where intakes and fuel rails for future V8s will be crafted.

Score one for those of us who like an octopot rumble, especially after writing a series of posts about companies that have explicitly said they are halting new development on internal combustion altogether. GM still has their stated goal of transitioning to a zero-emissions lineup by 2035, of course, but at least now we know truck-loving gearheads won’t be stuck with today’s 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines for the next 10 or 15 years. And while we should not expect GM to suddenly start plopping V8s in the Silverado EV, it is encouraging to know the company still has one eye on gasoline power – even if those engines may eventually be reserved primarily for heavy-duty trucks and the like

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Wow, alright that's kind of an encouraging sign. I kind of figured the Gen V's would just soldier on a few more years as is and get migrated to TT6's like Ford and Mopar (I6) are doing.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
What about those of us who have nothing to compensate for and want a high-revving four pot?
Stick to your V-Dub. GM could end up all V8's and EV's at some point.

· Registered
1,877 Posts
I get it, just sad that no American company makes a really good 4 cylinder. I prefer corners to straight line, a 4 cylinder can make the car lighter and more responsive in the twisty bits. Just for the record, I only bought the GTI out of necessity for a car, then found out it was fun.....no GM option besides "sticking to my V-Dub".

· Registered
1,407 Posts

gm investing millions in plant upgrades for v8 engines

It’d seem not all development dollars at automakers are being shoveled toward electric vehicles. The General has just announced it is plowing $918 million into a quartet of American production facilities, some of which will shore up production of V8 engines.

Specifically, GM says these funds include $854 million in preparation to produce the company’s sixth-generation Small Block V8 engine, setting the company up to continue supporting its full-size truck and SUV programs. A little over two-thirds of the cash is earmarked for Flint Engine Operations where the 6th-gen family of Small Block V8s will be assembled along with the related block, crank, and head machining. During these multi-million dollar renos, the place will continue cranking out the 3.0-liter Duramax.

Elsewhere, Bay City GPS in Michigan will be set up to build cams and connecting rods that’ll support the Flint operations, while Defiance Operations in Ohio is going to see prep work for building a variety of block castings to support future V8 engine programs. Those same programs will be supported by an injection of cash into Rochester operations where intakes and fuel rails for future V8s will be crafted.

Score one for those of us who like an octopot rumble, especially after writing a series of posts about companies that have explicitly said they are halting new development on internal combustion altogether. GM still has their stated goal of transitioning to a zero-emissions lineup by 2035, of course, but at least now we know truck-loving gearheads won’t be stuck with today’s 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines for the next 10 or 15 years. And while we should not expect GM to suddenly start plopping V8s in the Silverado EV, it is encouraging to know the company still has one eye on gasoline power – even if those engines may eventually be reserved primarily for heavy-duty trucks and the like
Amen. Best news in a long time. They will get more sales from my family. This proves GM is more intelligent than I thought and wants to keep customers. Can’t wait for another generation of small blocks. That ensures more BOF GMCs for me.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I get it, just sad that no American company makes a really good 4 cylinder. I prefer corners to straight line, a 4 cylinder can make the car lighter and more responsive in the twisty bits. Just for the record, I only bought the GTI out of necessity for a car, then found out it was fun.....no GM option besides "sticking to my V-Dub".
Actually I saw this coming. No more V6s then only 2.7/3.0 as non V8’s and then V8’s.

Winner will be whomever is offering smaller four cylinder ICE vehicles longer than GM, they won’t know what to do with the sales.

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Ever try the CT4-V? More expensive than the GTI, but a lot of 4-cylinder fun in a somewhat different way than high revs.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
An all electric future?
Not so fast says GM….er, this week.
Says over half a billion a dollars too. Like I said it is happy day for people who like the best of what GM has to offer. All American small block power.

· Registered
19 Posts
Does this mean we’ll be able to get Express vans with V8s again, versus these being complete unobtanium?

Yes that platform might be the dinosaur of dinosaurs and so what. Workplace fleet would take a dozen, today, if we could get them.

· Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,457 Posts
Does this mean we’ll be able to get Express vans with V8s again, versus these being complete unobtanium?
According to the GMA, there will be next generation ICE Express:

The line of Chevy Express full-size vans has been around for quite some time now, with 2023 marking the nameplate’s 27th year in production. Originally replacing the Chevrolet Van in 1996, the Chevy Express has seen just a single generation over the years, but now, GM Au**ority has learned that GM plans to overhaul the Chevy Express for the 2027 model year.

In addition to cradling an ICE powerplant, the next-generation 2027 Chevy Express is also expected to ride on a revised platform dubbed GMT 620.

· Registered
40 Posts
You must not of been shopping too hard. My Camaro has the 2.0L and 6 sp manual. It's a blast.

· Registered
4,645 Posts
You must not of been shopping too hard. My Camaro has the 2.0L and 6 sp manual. It's a blast.
And Ford has the 2.3T which is great in the Mustang, and Stellantis has the really good 2.0T in the Alfas & soon to be rolling out to the Dodge Hornet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts