GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't the Delphi produced GM supplied and installed integrated Navigation radio be installed after the vehicle has been produced ? I have been told by every GM dealer that I cannot purchase the unit seperately and even if I could it will NOT work in my 2003 Yukon Denali. None of these dealers can give me a reason other than the wiring is different and there are modules that I would need to install. This does not make sense. GM should offer this radio to the consumer who already has a GM vehicle that did not come with the Nav radio installed. My last vehicle (Jeep) offered the RB1 Nav radio for almost all the Jeep vehicles as an accessory item that looked stock, incorporated the steering wheel controls, and did not involve cutting of wires. GM could make a ton of money if this was an option on their vehicles. In my opinion the people who are responsible for this at GM should be fired and the Chrysler people should be hired on !!! All I know is GM would have gotten my 2,500.00 for the unit !!! :plasma:

This is the unit I am referring to ...

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Yeah you why GM doesn't use more of them too.... I wish they would get one like Lincoln's THX certified one <_<

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree and if you try to talk to them about it they act as though you are an idiot who knows nothing.. Thanks GM

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone had any success adding the Navigation Radio to a Denali or Tahoe that didin't have one to begin with?

I just called GM and got the same bull**** answer.
:angry: :angry: :angry:

I want to buy a 04 Tahoe Z71 but I also want a in dash DVD-NAV system that DOESN'T cause me to lose any of the current radio functions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can find a working non-defective unit you can do it without losing onstar, steering wheel controlsl, or XM radio. I installed one into my 2003 Yukon Denali and it works great. The only problem is these units are very hard to find and are very expensive. Expect to pay over $1500.00 for used one and make sure you know where it came from. You don't want a defective unit like I initally bought for $1300.00 !!! If you get one that was previously used it will have to be reset by a GM dealer with a tech 2. They will charge you up to an hour labor time and hopefully the technician will know how to set the radio for your vehicle acoustics and equalization. Also, I don't think GM will warranty one that you had installed after the vehicle was purchased UNLESS the dealer sells you the unit for $3000.00 plus dollars.

Here is one on E-Bay but the dispaly is not working >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2450585519

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the update copout221.

I've contacted Delphi and GMC, Chevrolet dealers looking for information on puting this radio in a 2004 Tahoe Z71. No one seems to be able to help me. :angry:

One service department guy says it won't work because the Amp and setup are different. Another one says it won't work because of various connections... :angry:

If I can talk a GM service person into ordering me one of these radios I'd like to see if it will work in a Tahoe. Unfortunetly no one is willing or able to order it since it is a "factory" install. Delphi won't even sell it to consumers.

WTF happens if a unit is broken or damaged? How do they repair or REPLACE the bad unit?

This seems like BS on GM's part. :frankie: They are unwilling to help people with modifying their vehicles... even with GM parts.

BTW, here is a link to the PDF from Delphi on the radio. http://www.delphi.com/pdf/d/int_nav_radio.pdf

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update...

I went and looked at a Delphi Navigation radio equipped Denali and answered my questions on why it can't be put in the current Tahoe.

In the Denali, the Delphi Nav Radio is located in the same spot as the current 6-Disc radio in the Tahoe. However there is also a seperate CD-Rom drive located lower in the center console on the Denali. This is there because while the Delphi radio can also play music CD-Roms, it obviously can't do this while the Navigational DVD is inserted. Apparently GMC wanted people to be able to listen to CD-Roms while there was a Navigation DVD in the Delphi Nav Radio... very thoughtful of them. <_<

Now the reason while you can't just put this radio into a Tahoe is clear. You would also have to install a seperate CD-Rom drive like in the Denali. That would require changing the wiring and connection harness; modifying the power outputs from the Amp; and installing brackets and other equipment in the lower console.

You would also have to make additional changes to the connections between the steering wheel mounted controls, PCM, etc.

If GM had provided this information to people who asked it would have been alot better than the "it just can't be done" standard response. :angry:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by Snap315@Dec 30 2003, 10:08 PM
Update...

I went and looked at a Delphi Navigation radio equipped Denali and answered my questions on why it can't be put in the current Tahoe.

In the Denali, the Delphi Nav Radio is located in the same spot as the current 6-Disc radio in the Tahoe.  However there is also a seperate CD-Rom drive located lower in the center console on the Denali.  This is there because while the Delphi radio can also play music CD-Roms, it obviously can't do this while the Navigational DVD is inserted.  Apparently GMC wanted people to be able to listen to CD-Roms while there was a Navigation DVD in the Delphi Nav Radio... very thoughtful of them. <_<

Now the reason while you can't just put this radio into a Tahoe is clear.  You would also have to install a seperate CD-Rom drive like in the Denali.  That would require changing the wiring and connection harness; modifying the power outputs from the Amp; and installing brackets and other equipment in the lower console.

You would also have to make additional changes to the connections between the steering wheel mounted controls, PCM, etc.

If GM had provided this information to people who asked it would have been alot better than the "it just can't be done" standard response. :angry:
Snap,

**EDITED****

Delphi is experiencing restructuring pains. Try to find an authorized dealer
& all you get is someone that wants to sell you aftermarket XM units.

***END EDIT*****

I think you will find an authorzed Delphi Repair center near you that could order the NAV DVD unit you are looking for. If not send me a message & I will be happy to provide the contact info for the vendor I found.

I bet the NAV DVD unit's Aux CD player has it's own harness that connects between the two.

Getting the brackets is no big deal.

Yes you may have to replace controls & harnessess on the steering wheel.

****EDITED****

I can't see GM creating two different power/audio harnesses for similar vehicle platforms in this day of parts bin commodities.

Be prepaired to spend 2 times or more than the factory installed MSRP list price of the unit.

Just my two cents

Ken

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, nice truck. I really like the Z71 series Tahoe and sometimes wish I would have bought one and saved a lot of money over my Denali. You made a great choice in a vehicle. My Denali did not come stock with the Navigation unit which beefed the price up $2000.00. I did not think it would be a feature I would need or use but I was wrong and decided to attempt an install. I found one on E-Bay and took a gamble by spending $1300.00 on a used unit that I did not know would work. I contacted every local dealer along with Delphi and GM engineers with no definitive answer. Some told me it would NOT work and other said MAYBE. After I received the Nav radio I installed it and it had to be unlocked by a GM dealer. After I paid the dealer labor to reset the radio it worked fine with my XM Radio, steering wheel controls, in dash six disc changer, and Onstar. The only problem I encountered was periodic distortion when using the disc changer. My dealer would NOT warranty the unit or it's install because it was not originally installed by the factory so I took another gamble and located a replacement unit that was brand new. After installing it and having it reset again the distortion was gone and it is working perfectly to this day. I love the look of the unit and the Navigation feature which has voice guidance and several other useful features. As for the Z71 I don't know if it will work !! I have been told that it should work fine if you don't have the in dash changer but you need to make sure the two plugs are the same that are in your dash, which they should be. The Hummer H2 does not have the in dash changer and this unit works fine in it so you should be ok if you attempt to install it. I highly doubt the wiring harness and connectors are any different between your truck, my truck, Hummers, etc. Also, keep in mind if it doesn't work you can always relist it on eBay like I did and possibly make $$ off of it. I made almost $300.00 on the unit I bought and relisted. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts