GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
They spent billions to re-tool the plant to make these new EV's; barely completed production of 1,000 Hummer's and they are idling the plant (again) to re-tool?

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
More specifically, it's the GMC Hummer SUV EV.

Whew, that was a mouthful. (That's what she said)
Are you sure it isn't the GMC Hummer EV SUV?

Good points mbukukanyau; I agree there will be lots of "know how transfer" from Factory Zero to other GM facilities.

I think what Ed753 was getting at in post #6 is that GM re-tooled what was then Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly more efficiently in the past compared to the current effort at Factory Zero. For example, between 2011 and 2020, GM re-tooled that plant from assembling G-Body vehicles to the following:
  • two new Delta II - Voltec models (Volt/Ampera and ELR)
  • one new Epsilon II SWB model (Malibu)
  • one new Epsilon II LWB EL model (Impala)
  • one new P2XX model (LaCrosse)
  • one new Omega model (CT6)
Yes, and most-recently.... after making ~1,000 vehicles over the last two years.

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
That re-tool of a brand new plant sort of indicates a “we need a bigger boat” moment at GM, more than the “proof of concept“ idea floated by others. So I wonder if GM’s initial idea was more of limited volume high dollar EVs that maintained more exclusivity in both perception and volume sold?
Was GM also originally thinking of EV Silverado as a range topper that sold few with expansion later down the track?

Much as Ford was caught by surprise by Lightning orders, it looks like GM now has the confidence to expand production years in front of what the original idea was going to be and in doing so, back up Barra’s commitment to EV future.
Great, So August production will be up to plants 2019 capacity of 230,000? (19,000/month) 🤓

• Wow
Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
Reactions: gkr778 and jpd80
1 - 4 of 4 Posts