·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday, March 20, 2008
New York International Auto Show
GM hopes 3 new models will boost Pontiac
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

NEW YORK -- General Motors Corp.'s vice chairman said the automaker was committed to fixing its Pontiac brand, showing off three new models here at the New York International Auto Show.

"We used to say, 'We build excitement' and we'd show you a four-cylinder Grand AM," Lutz said, noting the brand just a few years ago had no rear-wheel drive vehicles, one V-8 and the infamous Pontiac Aztec. "Pontiac arguably simply did not have the goods. But things have changed. Pontiac now stands for seductive performance."

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/AUTO04/803200334/1148/AUTO01

Well, OK then. Better work more on reducing those G6 fleet sales.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Bob Lutz, March 20th, a.m.: "The coupe has had a sensational reaction ... but that is one of those projects that's got to be put on the back burner while we wrestle with this whole fuel economy issue."

Bob Lutz March 20th, p.m.: "Pontiac arguably simply did not have the goods. But things have changed. Pontiac now stands for seductive performance."

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
“Seductive performance”....

hmmm. I like that. It's classy sounding. Like a gentleman's touring sedan. Or an affordable version thereof.

But in a time when V6 family haulers do zero-to-sixy zips in under 8 seconds, I find it harder and harder and harder for Pontiac's image to subsist solely on a “performance” image. I've contended since, well since forever, that Pontiac's focus should be more along the lines of “excitement” than outright performance. A car doesn't have to out-accelerate a Saturn Rocket to be exciting. Distinctive styling, a “rebel” image, sharp handling, huge brakes, hugging seats... Pontiacs should offer an unforgettable driving experience for their price. And you don't need nasty hood nostrils or thirsty V8s (well not on all models!) to achieve that.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Now they say "Pontiac is car" and show us a four-cylinder G5.
Thought the G5 was a stop gap measure, even though having the car at all is an embarrasment. I would love to try out the Solstice coupe GXP and the the G8 GXP and the sport truck (whatever they decide to name it)

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Thought the G5 was a stop gap measure, even though having the car at all is an embarrasment. I would love to try out the Solstice coupe GXP and the the G8 GXP and the sport truck (whatever they decide to name it)
This stopgap thing is ridiculous. I mean, most companies have stopgap products, but GM's seem to be the worst and most laughable.

GM's stopgaps actually damage the long term prosperity and images of the brands.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
“Seductive performance”....

hmmm. I like that. It's classy sounding. Like a gentleman's touring sedan. Or an affordable version thereof.

But in a time when V6 family haulers do zero-to-sixy zips in under 8 seconds, I find it harder and harder and harder for Pontiac's image to subsist solely on a “performance” image. I've contended since, well since forever, that Pontiac's focus should be more along the lines of “excitement” than outright performance. A car doesn't have to out-accelerate a Saturn Rocket to be exciting. Distinctive styling, a “rebel” image, sharp handling, huge brakes, hugging seats... Pontiacs should offer an unforgettable driving experience for their price. And you don't need nasty hood nostrils or thirsty V8s (well not on all models!) to achieve that.
All of their cars should handle and stop well(at the top of the class). They should also have sporty seats and sporty interiors. This can't be that hard to do.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This stopgap thing is ridiculous. I mean, most companies have stopgap products, but GM's seem to be the worst and most laughable.

GM's stopgaps actually damage the long term prosperity and images of the brands.
I do not disagree with that, I do not know why anyone would but a G5, and I think the fwd G6 is also a bit pointless for Pontiac's image of sportiness

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
"This is the best lineup that Pontiac has had in probably the last 50 years," Lutz said.
...not sure I'd agree with THIS.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hmm...why is the G8 GXP a model? It's a trim. Pontiac introduced a new trim level. So that's two new models. But wait! One will be a coupe version of a convertible currently in production and the other is in a market all on its own (less competition=good; irrelevance=bad)

I'm SOOOO excited. Wake me up when Pontiac gets unique/new/compelling product. I know GM doesn't have the money to fix up the brand properly right now (and I'm okay with that), but over-hyping/drawing attention to such a mix-matched, awkward lineup only reminds me of how much more investment Pontiac needs.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Hmm...why is the G8 GXP a model? It's a trim. Pontiac introduced a new trim level. So that's two new models. But wait! One will be a coupe version of a convertible currently in production and the other is in a market all on its own (less competition=good; irrelevance=bad)

I'm SOOOO excited. Wake me up when Pontiac gets unique/new/compelling product. I know GM doesn't have the money to fix up the brand properly right now (and I'm okay with that), but over-hyping/drawing attention to such a mix-matched, awkward lineup only reminds me of how much more investment Pontiac needs.
I don't quite agree w/the 'irrelevance' part of your argument........but am in full agreement with the last part....

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Bob Lutz, March 20th, a.m.: "The coupe has had a sensational reaction ... but that is one of those projects that's got to be put on the back burner while we wrestle with this whole fuel economy issue."

Bob Lutz March 20th, p.m.: "Pontiac arguably simply did not have the goods. But things have changed. Pontiac now stands for seductive performance."
So I'm thinking that makes a great new slogan: "Pontiac, Seductive Performance"

And about the Solstice coupe, I'm definitely buying one, when I save the money for it. It will be 4 years or something, but I've committed myself.

The G8 Coupe/GTO/Monaro- I understand that 2 doors can't just be cut off the G8/Commodore, but how can a large sedan sell, a G8 sport truck sell, but a Coupe and/or a wagon aren't a good idea? I don't think that it cost that much more to create a G6 coupe, or a Grand Prix coupe, so why can't a 2 door G8 be justified?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So I'm thinking that makes a great new slogan: "Pontiac, Seductive Performance"

And about the Solstice coupe, I'm definitely buying one, when I save the money for it. It will be 4 years or something, but I've committed myself.

The G8 Coupe/GTO/Monaro- I understand that 2 doors can't just be cut off the G8/Commodore, but how can a large sedan sell, a G8 sport truck sell, but a Coupe and/or a wagon aren't a good idea? I don't think that it cost that much more to create a G6 coupe, or a Grand Prix coupe, so why can't a 2 door G8 be justified?
There is word out that we might get the wagon after all, so I think they could justify the 2 door as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because of the capital that's been invested in the plant to build these NA vehicles. It's total capacity is only 200,000 vehicles....that's all G8 models(I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) I can easily see a sedan model selling 100K annually, and GM is only planning on importing 40K annually...Large sedan sales have been falling as of late, but I think it's because there's a model like the G8 missing from the market. Everyman performance just hasn't been "there" for a while from NA manufacturers. Maybe the G8 is a turnaround?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When are they gonna put the 260-hp turbo 2.0 to G5?
If they do, now we are talking. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I agree with that, Pontiac is supposed to be a SPORTY divison, or as some name it, the poor man's BMW, and a G% does not fit with that image as is

·
Registered
263 Posts

With gas around $6 per gal in Europe, you still see alot of Bimmers and Mercs dashing around. I really don't think $4 per gal here should deter too many from buying something they can have fun in and if you really think about it, the V8s today aren't that much off in terms of fuel economy than the V6s are. I say build it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes this is all good news. What I would like to see next is a 2 door G8 called the GTO based on the Holden Monaro. Then give the G6 an interior refresh. That is all Pontiac needs since they share a showroom floor with Buick. At this show, we should have seen the Lacrosse concept and the MCE Lucerne, then Buick will be fixed too

In fact, the Lucerne, the DTS and the Impala should get similar refreshings which includes the 6 speed auto and the 3.6 DI engine in addition to some interior refinements. What do you all think ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think what Lutz is referring to here is the NY auto show and this new Solstice coupe is one hot looking little car. Even the snobs at Top Gear noticed it, and they have no respect for anything American.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts