GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: I ran across this site today, and I checked it out, and man, if We lived in Saudi Arabia, we could drive some cool cars!!! I thought it was interesting and thought you might want to check it out. A new SS Caprice and a 300hp Lumina? I wouldn't mind driving those to work.
Check it out at
Popular Mechanics

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
ahahahah

Hey, I have a question for you, do you like the New GTO?
(no one say anything)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Every car mamufactuer holds out on us. Unless it's the biggest/smallest, crappiest ugliest, trendiest, SUV, minivan econo box/mutant, station wagon or bland assed sedan. It's a damn shame, we can't get some of that strange performance tail on these shores. Hopefully that'll change someday in the future.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The truth is, the U.S. is a completely different type of market. Sure all the car guys would be happier with some of these vehicles, but they don't neccessarily appeal to the average buyer. Plus, GM has to be careful with CAFE rules in the U.S. Do buyers in the Middle East care about gas mileage?-- I very seriously doubt it since they live in a massive oil can. Also, a car owner in the Middle East is an affluent person-- the average person in those countries usually can't afford a car... esp. a new one.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Feb 3 2004, 10:01 PM
The truth is, the U.S. is a completely different type of market. Sure all the car guys would be happier with some of these vehicles, but they don't neccessarily appeal to the average buyer. Plus, GM has to be careful with CAFE rules in the U.S. Do buyers in the Middle East care about gas mileage?-- I very seriously doubt it since they live in a massive oil can. Also, a car owner in the Middle East is an affluent person-- the average person in those countries usually can't afford a car... esp. a new one.
CAFE rules do stink - to think that it is fine and dandy to buy an inefficient Blazer or Tracker (the little Suzuki gets 19/22 mpg!) but a big no-no to have a larger RWD sedan or station wagon classified as a "car" that gets a mile or two per gallon BETTER fuel economy...

But these are the rules we work with, and why Subaru is going to classify its own car-based "utes" as Trucks...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Feb 3 2004, 11:01 PM
Who wants 2 hear truth?!?!?!, all I want 2 C R some kick *** cars, instead of Toyota Camarys, Honda Accords and uglier Nissan Quest with 20 inch rims on them. America land of the free,home of the car wussies.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Why bother? Its just gunna get shot down, torn apart, and called a disgrace. Look at the GTO. Everywhere else, the Monaro is prased for its handling, power, and looks, but when it hits the US shores.... well, its ugly, a disgrace, not fast enough, cant handle, and is a mockery of the name GTO. Why should GM make cars if no one here wants to buy them. Amerians as a whole are stupid. Import companies make better cars, and thats what they have been spoon fed for near 25 years. Now, coupled with American cars really sucking durring the 70's and 80's and inot the 90's, this didnt help. Exactly what casket said, Americans arent thrilled about cars anymore. Your average american wanted a car because a car ment soemthing. It got you places. You were free in a car. When the baby boomers were around, car makers made them cars so that they could be free from the politics and events of the world. They were free from anything and all they wanted was power and style. What happend? Why do all the 35 and under group suck at car taste? Civics, Accords, and Camrys rule the road? It seems not matter how "exciting" the big 3 can make a car, they wont like it because they see that its domestic and it instantly brings them to a much lower level. I fear its too late and that all the big 3 keep missing something to really bring people in. I dont see Toyota's market share gobbling slowing down, and unless there is something major in the car market, The imports will take over the world.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"The imports will take over the world."

That will be a cold, dark day I hope to never see. If that happens the only comfort will be knowing I will still own my TA.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about imports taking over the world. It's a fad, a faze that will faze out soon enough, as long as domestic car makers don't make some serious mistakes. Anyone here remember the hot rod van craze? Didn't exactly have a lasting effect, unless you count all the 40yr olds driving mini-vans. :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Joshkartman@Feb 4 2004, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about imports taking over the world. It's a fad, a faze that will faze out soon enough, as long as domestic car makers don't make some serious mistakes. Anyone here remember the hot rod van craze? Didn't exactly have a lasting effect, unless you count all the 40yr olds driving mini-vans. :)
I don't think imports are going to take over the world... but I do think that we're dealing with something more than a "fad" here. People are building a way of thinking... it's important for GM and other domestics to have a big hand in the construction.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Import thing is a fad? A fad that's lasted since the 1950s (back when Volkswagen first started becoming popular)? Let's see...a fad that had Toyota becoming the second largest vehicle manufacturer in the world and the top selling car brand in the US? I don't remember vans ever becoming THAT popular.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 5 2004, 05:47 AM
Import thing is a fad? A fad that's lasted since the 1950s (back when Volkswagen first started becoming popular)? Let's see...a fad that had Toyota becoming the second largest vehicle manufacturer in the world and the top selling car brand in the US? I don't remember vans ever becoming THAT popular.
VW's were a huge fad back in the 60's. How many did you see on the road in the late 70's? 80's? 90's?
Toyota offered the same basic car as ford, gm and chrystler did, only toyota made a better quality car. I remember when my mom went to look for cars, she wanted a camry or a taurus. She picked the taurus because of the safty and belive it or not, the standard and auto trans. About mid 90's did toyota cars start really taking a foothold on the taurus and by late 90s's the taurus was slowly dropping back. GM along with everyone else needs to make better cars now and tell people that there cars arent the crappy cars that everyone has an image of when they think domestic cars. GM has yet to really kick toyota in the nuts with a sedan to compete with the likes of the Accord and Camry. Maybe the G6 is it, maybe the new Impy will be it. I hope that GM or someone cuts down on the imports gain in the sedan car market.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had written a tutorial to GM in the 3Q of 99 outlining Holden's portfolio of vehicles and in detail, why US designs don't reflect the styling and performance essence of those vehicles. I proposed a well-construed plan on how to make that happen. As you have already probably guessed, I never heard back from them. It is quite an irony though as I watched the F car put to rest the rest of us witness the arrival of the gto/grand prix/sunfire, its the same car right my mom thinks so but I know better, won't everyone?

On another note...

There was a TV show, my classic car, and the host of that show from my understanding was a chem E who was the primary contributor to the development of Pringle chips. This being said, his likeness now graces the cylindrical can. Mr_Pringle can you collaborate this story?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
if your mom thinks the GTO, Grand Prix, Grand Am and Sunfire look the same, I think its time to check her for caterax(sp??)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess they do look similar, but not as much as MB sedans.

I still haven't seen a GTO in person, but I'm expecting it to stand out. I notice all the new style GP's without thinking about it, so I'm sure I won't have to "keep my eyes open" for a GTO, and I'm CERTAIN that I won't have to "check" if a GTO just drove by.

Laters,
Scott

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The Camry started selling in Taurus-like volume in the early 1990s because that's just after they started making them in the US. Volkswagens were very popular in the 1960s and 1970s and even into the 1980s (remember when they were the first transplant?). Accord sales really took off when Honda started making them in the US in 1982.

All car companies understand that if you want to move from popular to high-volume, you need to build where you sell. That's why Honda operates five assembly plants in North America and Toyota has three, one on the way, and one joint-venture plant. Nissan has four plants in the US and Mexico. Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda (joint-venture), BMW, and Mercedes-Benz all make their most popular vehicles in the US...even Hyundai is building a large (about a quarter-million unit capacity) plant in the US.

Marketing import brands in the US is NOT a fad. That's why they make up over 30% of the US light-vehicle market.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts