Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I don't know where but I once read that in the late '90s GM offered screen based navigation in a sedan! :D. Actually in the Oldsmobile Eighty Eight, LSS< and Bravada...I googled and found this...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_9612_onboard_navigation_systems/oldsmobile_guidestar.html

an old '96 Motor Trend article...pretty interesting Olds had it like 10 years before it became popular, and GM STILL doesn't want to offer screen based nav systems :rolleyes:
GM wants us all to quitely forget about Oldsmobile and all of the "ahead of its time" automotive first this division had.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
From what I can recall the Guidestar was an ETAK unit with a different cover mounted like an old Blaupunkt Gooseneck EQ, true that it was possibly available from the "factory"(i.e open ETAK box, put Guidestar logo, install in car, done) though I have never seen one, it was something that you could have installed in any car pretty much.

And from the Delco Telepath article.

Delco's Telepath 100, a fully integrated in-dash navigation system, is different from its peers. In an effort to simplify the navigation process and to minimize cost, Delco purposely has avoided adding complex mapping technology to its navigation system. Instead of plotting a course on an LCD monitor with supplemental voice prompts at every turn, the Telepath supplies only the basic information needed to get you there with little else to distract you from driving. It simply points the way to your destination, and you're off.

Not that OnStar is the solution to every nav related issue, but tell me how what is described above is any better than the OnStar system that comes with every GM car from the Cobalt to the XLR?

an old '96 Motor Trend article...pretty interesting Olds had it like 10 years before it became popular, and GM STILL doesn't want to offer screen based nav systems

Except for of course for in the ...

Corvette
Silverado
Tahoe
Suburban
Traverse
Lucerne
Enclave
Outlook
VUE
CTS
STS
DTS
SRX
XLR
Escalade
Acadia
Sierra
Yukon
Yukon XL
Saab 93
Hummer H3
Hummer H2

and soon in the
Cruze
LaCrosse/Allure

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But none of those are mainstream, volume sedans...

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts