GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0.../d01-316720.htm

"SANTA BARBARA, Calif -- General Motors Corp. plans to introduce a new rear-wheel drive vehicle platform that will spawn a new generation of cars and crossover vehicles produced in North and South America, Europe and Asia.

After moving away from rear-wheel drive cars starting in the 1970s to reduce weight and boost fuel economy, GM and other automakers are racing to reintroduce rear-wheel drive as a way to enhance performance, attract enthusiasts and boost owner loyalty. "

Click link for more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
:) Been hoping this would be announced soon. Thank God too, I can't stand FWD vehicles. I hate that feeling they give me in the steering wheel when I drive one. Long live RWD :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i say just bring back the caprice and the camaro and i will be happy.

Alan

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It is about time for a return to RWD. Now GM will just have to offer AWD to keep people in snowy climates happy, or they can just drive SUVs and FWD minivans.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck@Dec 1 2003, 07:17 PM
It is about time for a return to RWD. Now GM will just have to offer AWD to keep people in snowy climates happy, or they can just drive SUVs and FWD minivans.
why bother? people in snowy climates didn't complain when they didn't offer FWD models back in '70s and before :p

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've read a study by Mercedes that found RWD to be better in the snow at speeds over 40 mph.

The european companies never switched to FWD, and I don't hear any of them complaining.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Connecticut is definitely in the snow belt. Here, RWD is a problem in cars that are much heavier in the front than in the back. Back in the 70s, people did put sandbags in the trunk. Traction control would improve sales here, as would AWD. Without such features, many New Englanders will likely stick w/ FWD vehicles... (and the answer to your questions is yes, we all loved our VWs that made it in the snow in the 60s :p )

Seriously though, RWD is good only if they can back it up with at LEAST traction control.

I've read a study by Mercedes that found RWD to be better in the snow at speeds over 40 mph.
The issue is more going far less than that. New England roads are narrow and windy, many being built long before the gasoline engine. Going 40 MPH in the snow would be a deathwish. Think more like under 30 (and right after a storm, 20-25). Better yet, a lot of times less than that. Pulling a car (FWD) on snow is a lot easier than pushing it (RWD). A simple fact. ;)

And yes, snow tires. You can get by in a FWD in snow in all-purpose tires, but in a RWD? Unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never had trouble driving my s10 (2wd) in the winter, all you need is common sense. I've always loved RWD cars over Front wheel drive. let honda drivers get the front wheel drive, Give us Americans back our RWD, and some big V8's too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree that all it needs is common sense. But that's the problem, all it needs is common sense. People buy cars with systems to make things easier and better buy yet they drive with less common sense than before. Doesn't make any sense. I'm fine with my '79 Camaro. Got these 50 lb bags of sand at Lowes for a few bucks. They're long "tubes" that fit perfectly in the trunk right over the wheels.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The big question that needs to be answered is GM going to have no FWD cars?
I doubt it.
Driving in the snow with RWD is not hard but it is easier with FWD and even better with AWD.
RWD with traction control greatly improves snow and ice conditions or even rainy conditions.
As far as driving in the snow one of the funny things I see is people with 4X4 or AWD assuming they can stop better just because they can get grip to get moving. Funny at least if they aren't behind you.
Common sense is uncommon and in short supply on the roads.
Think about how many people drive with summer tires or bald tires in poor conditions

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by 91z4me@Dec 2 2003, 09:24 PM
Not only is weight needed but either trac control or snow tires, just ask our neighbors to the north.
Yep!

Snow tires are given <_< but in our Express 2500 - we don't use sandbags. The weight of a (heavy sonofbeefcake) snow blower works wonders.

Sure - a sandbag is easier to load and usefull when the tires get stuck - but they just take up space and aren't really as usefull a snow blower. (you can throw sand at snow - but it won't go away)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bows to GM and Bob Lutz. This is exactly what I want to hear, more RWD cars=more hp without that horrible torque steer I'm getting sick of in the past 4 cars I have owned excluding my C-5 I had to sell 9 monthes ago.

I hope the Grand Prix will turn RWD in the next 5 years. Same goes for the Monte Carlo and the Impala. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts