1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM gets serious about Cadillac
Letters to the Editor
Automotive News

I was at the Las Vegas Cadillac dealers meeting, and your story was a good representation of it ("Cadillac prepares dealers for a jolt," Sept. 29).

It was only the second time in my career as a Cadillac dealer that the General Motors CEO -- in this case, Mary Barra -- made an appearance; the last was Bob Stempel. GM President Dan Ammann stayed both days. It was evident to the audience that GM is serious about Cadillac -- finally.

Like it or not, the level of transparency was refreshing. Scarcity of product does two things: It makes more money per unit, and it creates a buzz with the sales staff over availability. It's much easier to sell cars in a demand-pull situation. Today, Cadillac is far from that.

From what the executives say, it will get worse in the near term, but I'm prepared for that. You cannot have a luxury or premium brand that is always in a fire-sale situation. Weaning the dealers off big incentives is going to be rough.

For once, I have an extremely positive outlook on this franchise. The people in Detroit (and soon New York) are serious, showed us an incredible product lineup and provided a sense that they have new freedom from the GM bureaucracy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interesting point of view! Good to know that there are dealers who understand and agree with Cadillac's new approach. :)

Surely many others do not agree, and continue complaining and asking for more volume/incentives. But we know it is unsustainable. A good number of them, actually, are not necessary for the new Cadillac plans. Simply!

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
Freedom from the crushing, gamey idiocracy + excellent leadership is the way out of the hole.

Good luck to Cardiac. Time will prove how this works out for them and their new Mgmt, Inc.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. The CT6 is really a make or break product for them, so lets see how it turns out. It damn well better be spectacular, especially considering how long we've been waiting for a proper full sized Cadillac sedan.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. The CT6 is really a make or break product for them, so lets see how it turns out. It damn well better be spectacular, especially considering how long we've been waiting for a proper full sized Cadillac sedan.
In my view the ATS, CTS and Slade are merely the first chapter. The product lineup will be changing drasticly with totally different models than what we see now excluding the Slade. We said patients will be the key when the ATS first debuted. It looks like that is the case more now than ever. With only RWD/AWD in Caddys future its time to take out the popcorn and watch things unfold.

Reactions: dslay04 and sfbreh

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
No, it isn't.

It'll be an exceptionally low volume car no matter how good it is. If the car has the right tech, it'll be fine for what it is... particularly since it isn't an S-Class competitor.

The make or break cars will be the ATS, CTS, SRX, and Escalade replacements as well as the CT6 replacement AND the new crossovers.

There is no one car that will break Cadillac. Expectations from Cadillac are high, but low. The return to production of a full-size vehicle will be enough for
the short term, despite what armchair executive might wax on about.

Business is a long-term game that Cadillac is barely playing.

In my view the ATS, CTS and Slade are merely the first chapter. The product lineup will be changing drasticly with totally different models than what we see now excluding the Slade. We said patients will be the key when the ATS first debuted. It looks like that is the case more now than ever. With only RWD/AWD in Caddys future its time to take out the popcorn and watch things unfold.
This.

Cadillac has no crossovers short of a 6ish year old SRX, and from what we've heard the new one won't be RWD AND they won't have their full engine lineup until ~2019.

It's a highly dynamic game at this point, particularly with such brand new management.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
GM gets serious about Cadillac
Letters to the Editor
Automotive News

I was at the Las Vegas Cadillac dealers meeting, and your story was a good representation of it ("Cadillac prepares dealers for a jolt," Sept. 29).

It was only the second time in my career as a Cadillac dealer that the General Motors CEO -- in this case, Mary Barra -- made an appearance; the last was Bob Stempel. GM President Dan Ammann stayed both days. It was evident to the audience that GM is serious about Cadillac -- finally.

Like it or not, the level of transparency was refreshing. Scarcity of product does two things: It makes more money per unit, and it creates a buzz with the sales staff over availability. It's much easier to sell cars in a demand-pull situation. Today, Cadillac is far from that.

From what the executives say, it will get worse in the near term, but I'm prepared for that. You cannot have a luxury or premium brand that is always in a fire-sale situation. Weaning the dealers off big incentives is going to be rough.

For once, I have an extremely positive outlook on this franchise. The people in Detroit (and soon New York) are serious, showed us an incredible product lineup and provided a sense that they have new freedom from the GM bureaucracy.
Obviously you can't give specifics, but from an appearance standpoint would you say the CT6 hits the target?

Bummer I thought one of our members was there! Where I wonder is GM123 gone? That member was at this meeting as well but now they have gone quiet.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
No, it isn't.

It'll be an exceptionally low volume car no matter how good it is. If the car has the right tech, it'll be fine for what it is... particularly since it isn't an S-Class competitor.

The make or break cars will be the ATS, CTS, SRX, and Escalade replacements as well as the CT6 replacement AND the new crossovers.

There is no one car that will break Cadillac. Expectations from Cadillac are high, but low. The return to production of a full-size vehicle will be enough for
the short term, despite what armchair executive might wax on about.

Business is a long-term game that Cadillac is barely playing.
No.

You're overthinking it. It's a halo car like the S Class is. The CT6 is one of the most important cars in Cadillac's history, which is why it needs to be absolutely perfect out of the gate.

If you have a ****ty CT6 or ****ty Escalade, why would a young person want to aspire to own one? Why would they buy an ATS or SRX in hopes of one day buying a CT6 or Escalade? They'd instead go to the Mercedes dealer and get a CLA or GLA because of the halo effect cars like the S Class and G Wagen have, and also because Mercedes-Benz's name carries more weight than Cadillac's does in the real world among luxury customers.

Cadillac's future as a Tier I luxury brand rides on the CT6's back, assuming it's their competitor to the S Class. If it's not good, Cadillac will never reach MB's status in the future. They have people's attention with all the press they've been releasing. They got people's attention by moving to New York and by bragging about the CT6. The CT6 literally needs to be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
So are we already setting ourselves up for disappointment with the next SRX?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
So are we already setting ourselves up for disappointment with the next SRX?
I'm in wait and see mode. We read statements saying the SRX will remain fwd then there's recent statements that next gen SUVs and crossovers would all be RWD. There isn't much that's final but how things are going I would bet that we see a small refresh of the current SRX then the name change will bring out a new model on a RWD platform.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Where are the Premium V8 engine options? Let's go. This ain't honda. Nobody wants wimpy turbo 4 and 6's. Except maybe all the ignorant environmental liberals who quote my messages and reply to them.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about & complaining about today's Cadillac's like they are still putting out barely warmed over rebadges like they did 20 years ago. The ATS and CTS are outstanding vehicles and show commitment from GM and Cadillac and the direction they are going. They may not be perfect, but wow - they are really good and it bodes well for the CT6 and all other future Caddy's. So what if the CT6 won't be quite in the S Class territory, they may make a new segment. Everyone keeps complaining that Cadillac needs to stop trying to be German, so the second Cadillac deviates from the German formula (i.e. not building a direct S Class competitor) and does something different we get cries of failure. Cadillac can't build a full lineup overnight, it's finally received full commitment from management, it will take a few years to get everything in place but I suspect Cadillac has great things in its future.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I'm in wait and see mode. We read statements saying the SRX will remain fwd then there's recent statements that next gen SUVs and crossovers would all be RWD. There isn't much that's final but how things are going I would bet that we see a small refresh of the current SRX then the name change will bring out a new model on a RWD platform.
Afaik from reading various sources, the new SRX is coming next year and it's not a refresh or an MCE. It's all new and it is FWD based. Any RWD based SRX would likely be at least 5 years out from next year's new SRX.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
No.

You're overthinking it. It's a halo car like the S Class is. The CT6 is one of the most important cars in Cadillac's history, which is why it needs to be absolutely perfect out of the gate.

If you have a ****ty CT6 or ****ty Escalade, why would a young person want to aspire to own one? Why would they buy an ATS or SRX in hopes of one day buying a CT6 or Escalade? They'd instead go to the Mercedes dealer and get a CLA or GLA because of the halo effect cars like the S Class and G Wagen have, and also because Mercedes-Benz's name carries more weight than Cadillac's does in the real world among luxury customers.

Cadillac's future as a Tier I luxury brand rides on the CT6's back, assuming it's their competitor to the S Class. If it's not good, Cadillac will never reach MB's status in the future. They have people's attention with all the press they've been releasing. They got people's attention by moving to New York and by bragging about the CT6. The CT6 literally needs to be perfect.
No.

You're overthinking it.

Where are the Premium V8 engine options? Let's go. This ain't honda.
You're thinking Infiniti.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about & complaining about today's Cadillac's like they are still putting out barely warmed over rebadges like they did 20 years ago. The ATS and CTS are outstanding vehicles and show commitment from GM and Cadillac and the direction they are going. They may not be perfect, but wow - they are really good and it bodes well for the CT6 and all other future Caddy's. So what if the CT6 won't be quite in the S Class territory, they may make a new segment. Everyone keeps complaining that Cadillac needs to stop trying to be German, so the second Cadillac deviates from the German formula (i.e. not building a direct S Class competitor) and does something different we get cries of failure. Cadillac can't build a full lineup overnight, it's finally received full commitment from management, it will take a few years to get everything in place but I suspect Cadillac has great things in its future.
The CTS is top dog in its class, no doubt.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
The CTS is top dog in its class, no doubt.
For a driver's car, but I, like most people, do not track my car or require track car-like steering precision in my daily life.

I want a car that's comfortable, roomy, has power, and is sexy.

The 5-Series is comfortable, roomy, sexy, and has power in the form of an I6 or V8.
The A6 and S6 are the same and have power in the form of a V6 or V8.
The CTS felt tight inside, has a design that isn't cohesive the full 360° and has power in the form of... a V6 and another V6.

The CTS is nice, but it's a car from a brand that basically created the mass produced V8 that exists in the same class as other cars with V8s... without a V8.

Audi makes a better Cadillac than Cadillac. Unless you think Cadillacs should have terrible cargo and passenger room, have disjointed designs, and no V8s, what's wrong with that picture?

CTS is a great car, but while it may exceed the competition in some areas, it also falls short in others. I would put the CTS at the top of the class NEAR the S6 and 5-Series.

I'm sure you disagree, but I think the S6 is a superior luxury car... which is what Cadillac is supposed to be making.

More like Gm should have been serious about Cadillac 15 years ago. What GM needs to do is be on top of Cadillac going forward, do not let cars get old in the tooth like XLR, 2005 STS, DTS.
Everyone should have done something different. You can cry about the past or look towards the future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts