·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM “Fundamentally” in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up
Detroit Bureau
December 14, 2012
by Paul A. Eisenstein

With its first light-duty diesel set to debut in a manner of months, senior General Motors officials are giving clear indications that they’re ready to launch additional applications of the high-mileage technology, including a diesel for the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.

“There is, fundamentally, a place for diesel here,” said GM President Mark Reuss, during an interview following the preview of the completely redesigned 2014 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. The executive stressed that he is “personally” in favor of adding more of the so-called oil-burners to GM’s North American line-up.

The first light-duty offering will come later this year in the Chevrolet Cruze sedan which will begin being offered with a modified version of the diesel now available for the compact model in Europe.

Though GM currently offers a diesel in its heavy-duty pickup line here in the U.S., it has stuck with gasoline power for the light-duty models. And a splashy Thursday preview of the 2014 Silverado and Sierra models focused on only three gas models, a new V-6 and two V-8s. All will be significantly more fuel-efficient than the powertrains they replace thanks to the new use of such technologies as Direct Injection, Continuously Variable Valve Timing and Cylinder Deactivation.

But when asked about other options, Reuss pointedly suggested there will be “more to come,” a phrase he repeated when asked if that might include diesels.

“I personally think there’s a place for diesels” in the truck line-up “in the future,” he indicated.

Full article at link.

·
Premium Member
35,780 Posts
Re: GM “Fundamentally” in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up

:doh: Better late than never. GM, lead the way. Well, after VW anyway. :drive:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

I hope GM gives us quality options. I would love to leave VW for a GM equivalent model. Also a diesel in a half ton pickup would be a good option for me instead of a sedan.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Best news I've heard all week. A diesel should be an option in ALL trucks. From Colorado/ Canyon, all of the full size pickups, and possibly even the Tahoe (maybe I'm pushing it). There's a huge upside if they do it right.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Sorry, but the price of diesel at the pump will have to drop quite a bit if I'm going to go that route..... the efficiency gains aren't enough to offset the higher fuel costs at this point in time.

I do think it should be available to those who have an oil-burning fetish but I don't see them selling in volume.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry, but the price of diesel at the pump will have to drop quite a bit if I'm going to go that route..... the efficiency gains aren't enough to offset the higher fuel costs at this point in time.

I do think it should be available to those who have an oil-burning fetish but I don't see them selling in volume.
You hit the nail on the head about the diesel prices. I bought my Dmax to replace a 6.0L gasser that was a steady 8mpg truck, now i average 13mpg but the cost of diesel eats all the savings and then some. All this EPA stuff on the new diesels dont help the bottom dollar for us the consumer either. Im glad i got my LBZ before all the emission stuff got out of hand on diesels.

Would be nice to see the 4.5 baby duramax in the new 1500s but please tune them for max mpg and not max power, as the 6.6 seems to be in a power war with ford and ram lately.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Won't happen. Reuss is feeding hungry mouths with his "personal" feelings and dreams to make the media happy. It would be suicide to right out say that the half tons will never receive a diesel engine. Diesel cycle engines only belong in heavy duty and commercial vehicles. Emission regulations have butchered Rudolf Diesel's innovation by substantially driving up the cost to control emissions. It's not a 12v Cummins with a coal mod world anymore. GM decided to bring the diesel Cruze to NA to strictly combat the Jetta TDI, that's it. Not to change NA market with diesel engines, but to simply beat VW at its own game to gain global recognition.

Light duty cars and trucks equipped with diesel engines are too expensive and too dirty.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
the Colorado is ONLY sold in Diesel 4 POT versions so the US Colorado logically could come in 2.8L diesel and I wonder if the engine bay is even wide enough to fit a 4.3 or 3.6 V6 in them and if the 2.8 DuraMax is certified for Colorado use the Van and 1/2 tonner make sense like the 2.0 Diesel could go into the MCE Malibu and NEXT gen 'NOX

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
the Colorado is ONLY sold in Diesel 4 POT versions so the US Colorado logically could come in 2.8L diesel and I wonder if the engine bay is even wide enough to fit a 4.3 or 3.6 V6 in them and if the 2.8 DuraMax is certified for Colorado use the Van and 1/2 tonner make sense like the 2.0 Diesel could go into the MCE Malibu and NEXT gen 'NOX
How big is the engine bay in the New Colorado in comparison to the current model? The current Colorado's bay holds the 5.3L V8, I would think the new would should be able to use the new 4.3L V6.

·
Registered
363 Posts
news flash if enough oem's offer diesel options the price of the fuel will rise not fall because the oil comp's will know they have a captive audience.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
How big is the engine bay in the New Colorado in comparison to the current model? The current Colorado's bay holds the 5.3L V8, I would think the new would should be able to use the new 4.3L V6.
I do not know if GM designed the new truck for NA consumption or if it is an "afterthought" and not designed in
plus that could be some of the delay being experienced

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
2.8 diesel R428 used in both light commercial and offroad 4 x 4 mode in the pickup and SUV versions of the Colorado is capable of over 20 US mpg in loaded urban - not highway usage. And you can be assured, sooner or later the Indian summer of low gasoline prices will be over as the rest of the world recovers from GFC.

No doubt there will be a gas motor option for the US, as GM US were part of the global design team in Brazil. Add in a 7700lb tow rating and 350 lb ft of torque @ 1800rpm the 2.8 is a realistic option. The engine bay looks capable of a V8. V6, certainly.

But with DOHC VVT and variable geometry turbo ain't your daddy's diesel.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I've never been a fan of diesels in passenger car applications, but would welcome that option in the light trucks. I've always felt diesel engines really belong in trucks, and not sure why they've not been more available.

There was a time when diesel fuel was cheaper than refined gasoline; not sure what happened there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
GM has dropped hints even a year ago, that they might bring the 4 cyl diesel along to the US-spec Colorado.

I think it's a safe bet the Colorado was designed large enough for a V6. After all, the old truck could fit the 5.3 V8 in it and the new one will be the same dimensions or a smidge larger.

But I don't think we'll see the 4.3L right away. The LFX 3.6L is already tooled up in the US, and has manual transmissions developed for the ATS and Camaro. We may see the 4.3L as an upgrade in a few years after it's been spread across the SUV line.

·
Registered
757 Posts
So this could mean the baby Duramax is back, which is good. Stick it in every fullsize truck and SUV, including the Caddy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You hit the nail on the head about the diesel prices. I bought my Dmax to replace a 6.0L gasser that was a steady 8mpg truck, now i average 13mpg but the cost of diesel eats all the savings and then some. All this EPA stuff on the new diesels dont help the bottom dollar for us the consumer either. Im glad i got my LBZ before all the emission stuff got out of hand on diesels.

Would be nice to see the 4.5 baby duramax in the new 1500s but please tune them for max mpg and not max power, as the 6.6 seems to be in a power war with ford and ram lately.
I think you're saving more than you realize. If you're now getting 13mpg, that's a 61% improvement in mpg over 8 mpg, a pretty impressive improvement. From a dollar perspective, diesel is roughly $4.00 (Illinois). Regular unleaded is roughly $3.50, a difference of 13%.
If you drive 15k miles a year, you were spending $6562 on regular. You would now spend $4,615 on diesel. Seems like your diesel was a good decision.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
It was GM who single handedly ruined diesel's reputation in passenger cars in America 30 years ago, so I can understand why they've been gun shy about making a diesel available in a passenger car again.

But we all know modern diesel 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines are a far cry from the Olds 350 diesel. Not even close. So GM should get over their tepidness about them and start making them.

Can you imagine the performance and economy of a Cruze with the 1.8d and a 6 speed manual?

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
There was a time when diesel fuel was cheaper than refined gasoline; not sure what happened there.
I remember those days too.

Now, if only I had room for a biodesel still... I'd just collect used fry cooker oil and make my own cheap fuel.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts