GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The Excursion died due to tanked sales during the great recession.
No. The GFC hit in 2007/2008. Excursions were last sold new in the US in 2005--two to three years before the GFC hit. They were last sold in Mexico in 2006--one to two years before the GFC hit. What are you going to blame next--COVID-19?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
I think what MisterMe is referring to with the phrase "very upscale" is the group of people who purchase new Chevrolet/GMC Suburbans or Yukon XL, not necessarily the vehicles themselves.

As far back as the seventh generation (starting with model year 1973), GM marketers found that Suburban owners represented the company's wealthiest customers. A member of Bimmerfest forums shared the reason why:
And they make very good mommy wagons while putting on that certain image and all including being towards the affluent side. There is a tongue in cheek saying/scenario around the areas of the intermountain west settled by the LDS people about "Mrs. Molly Mormon and her big ole Suburban kid hauler/grocery getter" ;) ...and it does really fit lol.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
My Dad's HHR SS is considered a "truck" because it has a large flat load floor. This proved quite helpful in it qualifying for the Cash for Clunkers program as a 4cyl "truck". That 260HP/260TQ 5spd makes for quite the quick little turbo truck!!
And the PT Cruiser was a "truck" too.............
I find this sort of funny because the title on my Rogue I had, they(the state of Utah) called it a "truck" too. 🧐

·
Registered
590 Posts
My Aunt and Uncle had a Suburban, before that they had a A-Body Pontiac Station Wagon, they were "campers" pulled a small pop-up, but after the 3rd child was born (3 kids under 10) what were their options for a vehicle to carry family, stuff and camper, which grew as the kids grew....... (This was last 80's - mid 90's time frame)

Arlington was the RWD Impala/Caprice Plant, (when the Impala SS was all the rage) I recall when GM made the decision to stop production and start building SUV's, almost makes me shutter to think how right GM was on that move.
So right it isn’t even funny. The money that one plant generates is astonishing… Sad to see the B-Bodies go but GM was so right. Bet right now provided they could get parts GM wishes Janesville, WI was humming along.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
590 Posts
Exactly, GM hit the go button on new full sized SUVs right at a key pivotal moment for Ford when Mulally took over the reigns. He was convinced that full sized trucks and SUVs were in permanent die back, then realised that full sized truck sales came back but never really embracing a full makeover of Expedition/Navigator. It always felt like Ford didn’t understand their full sized SUV buyer to the extent that GM did. Mind you large mid sized Explorer seemed to sell pretty well but that’s another story….
They sure did… My family is on our second full-size GMC Yukon. Loved the first one got a second one and waiting at 1100 event code at a small dealer for the 3rd, we are the next allocation. Likely will even have one more if they offer a small block V8 for a while.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
Keep doin' what you're doin' jpd80! Those so called "environmental groups" are nothing more than propaganda machines and evangelists of a false religion.
Environmental groups are just arms of a political party funded by sipho tax payer dollars. It’s pure fraud, just like PBS.

Its not for the Children

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I find this sort of funny because the title on my Rogue I had, they(the state of Utah) called it a "truck" too. 🧐
the SCION xB was a "truck" also
in Canada the suburban AND avalanche was sold in 3/4 tonner versions for the 800 and 900 series primary customer was the RCMP and far north reservations
duraburb in Florida I believe used to buy EX RCMP 3/4 tonners and convert to Duramax Turbodiesel and sell them for BIG $$$

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
I'd imagine nowadays, they'd probably have done more differentiation than a direct Super Duty front end, but still.

Another factor more recently too, is Ford basically put their offerings (Expy/Navi) on cruise control from '03 until 2018. The '07 "redesign" kept the same '03-'06 bodies with new front clips and interiors, but even if you want to use those as a reference point, they still went 7 years unchanged until some help finally arrived with a light refresh for 2015, and it was another 3 years for all new - 10 years between all new models and 13 years using the same body design. Can't go that long with an unchanged or minimally changed product in any segment and expect much (meanwhile Toyota still has the '07 Sequoia rolling around lol) .....they're lucky the segment is basically GM or Ford (with the Sequoia and Armada/QX80 outliers).

Meanwhile, GM had new product in '07, '15, and now '21.....and interestingly, GM never seems to need to even refresh their SUVs between full redesigns, despite 6-7 year cycles, which is impressive.
The Expedition/Navigator shared a plant with the Super-Duty, you can say that was a mistake, but Ford was never going to "compete" in most aspects with GM, where they had a dedicated plant and strong interest in sales volume.

I will add, the 2007 to 2015 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, that was a loooooooonnnnnggggg gap and overdue; the SUV came out before the Pick-up in 2007 (early 2006) and by 2015 almost 2 years after the K2XX pick-up, really dated.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,226 Posts
There is a tongue in cheek saying/scenario around the areas of the intermountain west settled by the LDS people about "Mrs. Molly Mormon and her big ole Suburban kid hauler/grocery getter" ;) ...and it does really fit lol.
Come to think of it, several LDS dominated areas in the intermountain west (especially suburbs of SLC and Provo in Utah) have among the highest median household income levels in the United States. So what you and MisterMe mentioned about the nature of Chevy Suburban buyers rings true indeed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The Expedition/Navigator shared a plant with the Super-Duty, you can say that was a mistake, but Ford was never going to "compete" in most aspects with GM, where they had a dedicated plant and strong interest in sales volume.

I will add, the 2007 to 2015 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, that was a loooooooonnnnnggggg gap and overdue; the SUV came out before the Pick-up in 2007 (early 2006) and by 2015 almost 2 years after the K2XX pick-up, really dated.
Correct, it was a long gap, but at least it was an all new product vs. the warmed over Expy/Navi '07 redesigns.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Correct, it was a long gap, but at least it was an all new product vs. the warmed over Expy/Navi '07 redesigns.
Navigator's redesign was hideous and the engine got no power bump which made it lag behind the Escalade hard.

Reactions: CJH and Greg Burr

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
"The Expedition/Navigator shared a plant with the Super-Duty, you can say that was a mistake, but Ford was never going to "compete" in most aspects with GM, where they had a dedicated plant and strong interest in sales volume."

Spending a lot of money on content and a redesign only to to be forced to make one-fewer Super-Duty Trucks, for every additional Expy/Navi didn't seem like a good idea, but Ford put those resources into other areas, a lot of other area...... a lot....

- And if we are spitting hairs, the 2007 - 2020 GM SUV's are more the same than they are different.

These EV's take-off, what's going to happen with Arlington?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I suspect as long as Arlington can LEGALLY build ICE SUV's they will continue to be insanely profitable. But how long will the govt allow for such?

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
475 Posts
Excursions have cult like owners especially at the campground and ones in good shape are still in demand and expensive. I dont get all the hate. The eddie bauer versions still look pretty good considering the age. Not too much like them that can tow and bring the whole family.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Excursions have cult like owners especially at the campground and ones in good shape are still in demand and expensive. I dont get all the hate. The eddie bauer versions still look pretty good considering the age. Not too much like them that can tow and bring the whole family.
They were a very unique vehicle with an HD frame and diesel. No one could get that direct from the manufacturer since 2005. (After market wise many have been grafted the back of an Excursion to Super Duty trucks through the 2016 model year)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Navigator's redesign was hideous and the engine got no power bump which made it lag behind the Escalade hard.
Yeah, that's definitely true as well.....and then we had to look at that ugly version for 7 years haha.

"The Expedition/Navigator shared a plant with the Super-Duty, you can say that was a mistake, but Ford was never going to "compete" in most aspects with GM, where they had a dedicated plant and strong interest in sales volume."

Spending a lot of money on content and a redesign only to to be forced to make one-fewer Super-Duty Trucks, for every additional Expy/Navi didn't seem like a good idea, but Ford put those resources into other areas, a lot of other area...... a lot....

- And if we are spitting hairs, the 2007 - 2020 GM SUV's are more the same than they are different.

Regardless of under the skin (I'm guessing that's what you're arguing), GM still had 2 completely visually new generations in that timeframe.

As the market has proven time and time again, if you don't significantly refresh/redesign the product every so often, sales will start declining. It's why we're seeing Tesla Model S/X sales dropping - they're old.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Regardless of under the skin (I'm guessing that's what you're arguing), GM still had 2 completely visually new generations in that timeframe.
I'm not going to pretend that Ford was delivering an "ALL NEW" Expedition/Navigator every-other year, but I don't think their cadence was drastically different than GM's, was it?

Expedition/Navigator:
1997 - 2002 - 6 years
2003 - 2006 - 4 years
2007 - 2014 - 8 years
2015 - 2017 - 3 years
2018 - Current - 5 years and going

Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade:
1992 - 1999 - 8 years
2001 - 2006 - 6 years
2007 - 2014 - 8 years
2015 - 2020 - 6 years
2021 - Current - 2 years and going

As the market has proven time and time again, if you don't significantly refresh/redesign the product every so often, sales will start declining. It's why we're seeing Tesla Model S/X sales dropping - they're old.
And ugly............. yeah Tesla; lets see how that story plays out...

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts

One that springs to mind is the 2011 Explorer, a much larger vehicle than before that was arguably more fuel efficient than Expedition and a whole lot more popular.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm not going to pretend that Ford was delivering an "ALL NEW" Expedition/Navigator every-other year, but I don't think their cadence was drastically different than GM's, was it?

Expedition/Navigator:
1997 - 2002 - 6 years
2003 - 2006 - 4 years
2007 - 2014 - 8 years
2015 - 2017 - 4 years

Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade:
1992 - 1999 - 8 years
2001 - 2006 - 6 years
2007 - 2014 - 8 years
2015 - 2020 - 6 years
2021 - Current - 2 years and going

And ugly............. yeah Tesla; lets see how that story plays out...
Did you read any of what I wrote? Lol.

And I'm not sure why you're counting '07-14 and '15-'17 as separate generations - '15 was a refresh.

Expedition/Navigator:
1997 - 2002 - 6 years
2003 - 2006 - 4 years
2007 - 2017 - 10 years

And as I've also said above, visually the exterior/entire body except the front clip and some new taillights/rear bumper did not change at all from 2003 until the 2018 redesign.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

So, tying it back into the original topic, when you go 10-14 years with largely the same vehicle visually, sales will eventually suffer, aiding the competition - GM.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts