GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM, Ford Likely Dragged U.S. Car Sales to 15-Year Low

July 31 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. probably dragged U.S. vehicle sales to a 15-year low in July as record gasoline prices caused consumers to shun big pickup trucks and automakers didn't make enough fuel-saving small cars.

GM, Ford and Chrysler LLC may have each posted their sixth straight monthly decline in sales, according to a Bloomberg survey of four analysts. Honda Motor Co., the major Japanese automaker least dependent on pickups and sport-utility vehicles, likely recorded its fourth consecutive gain.

A slowing economy, $4 gasoline and the worst housing market since the Great Depression may extend the industry's slump. Automakers' plans to trim lease offers because of the plunging value of returned vehicles also may crimp demand.

``It's going to put more downward pressure on auto sales,'' said Erich Merkle, an analyst with the Crowe Chizek & Co. consulting firm in Chicago. ``Automakers have been able to make the monthly payment very attractive through leasing.''

July sales will match June's annual selling rate of 13.6 million vehicles, according to a Bloomberg survey of 40 analysts and economists. That was the lowest level since 1993, when the industry was emerging from a recession.

GM sales probably dropped 25 percent, Ford's 20 percent, and Chrysler's 27 percent, according to the average estimates of the four analysts surveyed. The figures are adjusted for two more selling days this month than in July 2007; unadjusted percentages would be about 8 points less severe.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aHW_tS41tgwA

·
Banned
423 Posts
Well thank you rick and lutz for doing this. Are you happy now? People do not want 4 cylinder engines and only way people would buy them if gas is $8 per gallon. Or hybrids are a joke nobody wants them they are just for marketing. How is this for you idiot lutz toyota will make 500k prius next year. How good does your Tahoe hybried sell? Again just focus on suv and ignore cars. Thank you rick and lutz for ignoring cars for so long and when you produced them they were pure crap that nobody wanted. Now you are paying for it.

·
Banned
423 Posts
what about toyotas SUV's?
IT does not matter because toyota produces alot more cars then suv's. How many sequeis do they sell per month? 3k how about gm GMT 900. Again do not try to make excuse for this massive loss. IT is all gm fault for focusing on truck and suvs while toyota and honda kept producing more and more fuel efficient cars.

·
Registered
868 Posts
While I'll admit its not smart to put all your eggs in one basket, I haven't read any articles stating any shortages of inventory of cars - other than a few high demand models. You can't blame the automakers for building what the people wanted. Noone made us buy these SUV's and Pickups.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you rick and lutz for doing this. Are you happy now? People do not want 4 cylinder engines and only way people would buy them if gas is $8 per gallon. Or hybrids are a joke nobody wants them they are just for marketing. How is this for you idiot lutz toyota will make 500k prius next year. How good does your Tahoe hybried sell? Again just focus on suv and ignore cars. Thank you rick and lutz for ignoring cars for so long and when you produced them they were pure crap that nobody wanted. Now you are paying for it.
VCDJ?

·
Registered
962 Posts
IT does not matter because toyota produces alot more cars then suv's. How many sequeis do they sell per month? 3k how about gm GMT 900. Again do not try to make excuse for this massive loss. IT is all gm fault for focusing on truck and suvs while toyota and honda kept producing more and more fuel efficient cars.
It was nice having you gone--now please GTFA

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Let’s see, an incoherent rant, poor grammar, and horrendous spelling all in one post. I would say without a doubt that this is none other then vcdj.

vcdj, personally responsible for bringing down the quality and intelligence of GMI.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Seems like Toyota was also way down in June and it will be interesting to see July numbers. I know they don't sell as many trucks and SUVs as GM and Ford but it is still a substantial part of their business and like others they can't shift production to small cars fast enough. I've tried to reason with Bokl (VCDJ) before. It's impossible. GM isn't looking good right now, but the press totally ignoring Toyota's sales slide is typical.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hmmm.. The bad spelling, horrible grammar, and absolutely no grasp on reality. Yup, it's VCDJ!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Yes, that's why Toyota built a $1B full-size truck/SUV plant in Texas. Wake up, VCDJ. Don't let the facts stand in the way of your idiotic rant. It matters. You're darn tootin' it matters. Toyota isn't the automotive Messiah any more than GM is. They ALL go where the money is. And did you know that GM makes more cars that get 30mpg than Toyota does? The Prius isn't Jesus Christ, please, take the car off the cross.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I do not know why you people keep telling me this. I am not vdcj. How many times do i have to say that? who the f**k was he?
Of course your aren't VDCJ...you're VCDJ. Nice sneaky misspelling! hehehe

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I've been bad. ;) I did something naughty.

·
Banned
423 Posts
LOL everybody here thinks that i am VCDJ. Man he must be somebody that everybody hates. What is he a devil? But sorry i am not that guy.
Back to this topic. Toyota low june sales are because they ran out of corrola and yaris and prius. GM did not run out of any cars. That is the difference.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
LOL everybody here thinks that i am VCDJ. Man he must be somebody that everybody hates. What is he a devil? But sorry i am not that guy.
Back to this topic. Toyota low june sales are because they ran out of corrola and yaris and prius. GM did not run out of any cars. That is the difference.
OMIGOD! Did ToyotaNation send you here? If you hate GM so much, leave. "Ran out of corrolla and yaris and prius". Yeah, right. EVERYONE is slowing down, it's a frakin' recession! Where's your contempt for Ford? Don't say this is a GM forum, so GM is who you're targeting, because then you can't use your Church of Toyota scriptures! Toyota sells just as many inefficient vehicles as GM does, why don't you understand? Prove to me that Toyota ran out of those cars thereby lowering their yearly sales numbers. I'll wait here, go on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
hmm, Dealers around me had Yaris, and Corolla. Wasn't there a post that Corolla is selling worse then ten years ago???

Now GM dealers around me were out of Aveo, Cobalt, and HHR... the Only cobalt's they heave are new 09's... yet there are still 08 toyota's on the lot...

Piss of VCDJ

·
Banned
423 Posts
OMIGOD! Did ToyotaNation send you here? If you hate GM so much, leave. "Ran out of corrolla and yaris and prius". Yeah, right. EVERYONE is slowing down, it's a frakin' recession! Where's your contempt for Ford? Don't say this is a GM forum, so GM is who you're targeting, because then you can't use your Church of Toyota scriptures! Toyota sells just as many inefficient vehicles as GM does, why don't you understand? Prove to me that Toyota ran out of those cars thereby lowering their yearly sales numbers. I'll wait here, go on.
I do not hate gm. i like gm. I drive gm cars. Some of them are not so good quality but i like to support american workers. That being said. Toyota did run out of yaris, corrola and prius. Go to any toyota dealer. also how many trucks and suvs does toyota sell and how many does gm. Do you see the difference. Also toyota sells a lot more cars then trucks gm does not. I am not trying to pick on gm. IT just crazy how bad gm management is and how they put gm in a bad position. Ford is in better position then gm. They are making all the right moves Rick and lutz are not.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
From the original thread link - its going to interesting to see if these people redeem themselves - last month was a big miss - even in terms of the partially corrected 'late - last 5 days' forecasts.

Overall, GM did way better and Toyota did much worse than forecast in June 2008 - pretty much the same story for the previous MAY 2008.
Analyst........................GM.........Ford Chrysler SAAR

Patrick Archambault......-27%.....-26%......-32%........13.8 TBS
(Goldman Sachs)
Richard Kwas...............-23%.....-14%......-20%........13.9
(Wachovia)
Jesse Toprak................-22%.....-15%......-21%........N/A
(Edmunds)
Himanshu Patel.............-26%.....-24%......-35%.......13.2 TBS
(JPMorgan)
Itay Michaeli...................N/A........N/A.........N/A........13.7
(CitiBank)
George Magliano.............N/A........N/A.........N/A.......14.0
(Global Insight)

Bloomberg Economists....N/A........N/A.........N/A.......13.6 TBS
(average estimate)

AVERAGE:.....................-25%.....-20%.....-27%......13.6
TBS stands for '(artificial) TOYOTA BOOSTER STUFF' - or something similar .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts