1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM, Ford are all-in on EVs. Here’s how their dealers feel about it
June 13, 2021
Bob Woods

• General Motors is aiming to produce only EVs by 2035, with 30 new plug-in models arriving by 2025, a $27 billion investment.
  • Ford, which is investing $22 billion in EVs and announced that 40% of its vehicles will be electrified by 2030, generated excitement with the recent debut of the F-150 Lightning all-electric pickup.
  • Many auto dealerships are embracing the electric vehicle transition, but there are concerns about costs to be paid, staff training and impact on lucrative service department business.
After years of come-and-gone predictions that battery-powered sedans, pickups and SUVs would replace gas-guzzling, emissions-spewing models, the shift to electric vehicles is revving up. Beyond EV pioneer and market leader Tesla, virtually every major auto manufacturer is lining up to flip the e-switch and it is not just a big deal for consumers, but the thousands of auto dealerships across the country that will need to embrace the electric future.

General Motors has said it's aiming to produce only EVs by 2035, with 30 new plug-in models arriving by 2025, marking a $27-billion investment. Ford, which previously committed $22 billion to EV development, just announced that 40% of its vehicles will be electrified by 2030. Toyota, Volkswagen, Daimler, Hyundai, Fiat Chrysler, Honda and other automakers are making similar pledges.

In preparation for this onslaught of new models, franchise car dealers in the U.S. — many of them longtime small businesses located in suburban and rural communities — are gearing up. Salespeople are getting ready to put you in an EV today. And because EVs have fewer moving parts, service technicians are being trained to maintain them.

"EVs are the big issue right now," said Mark Paladino, general manager of Colonial Ford in Danbury, Connecticut, and a 40-year veteran in the business. He was still excited about Ford's debut of the F-150 Lightning pickup, an all-electric version of the best-selling vehicle line in the nation for four decades running.

More at link

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Colonial is one of 2,300 Ford dealers, among a total of roughly 3,000, that have volunteered to become EV-certified, an investment that entails training sales and service personnel, upgrading battery-charging stations and purchasing special equipment, parts and tools. The remaining third have thus far opted out of spending nearly $50,000 for the certification. Other manufacturers are asking for upwards of $300,000 for the designation.

wow - big number to opt out, I assume GM will have a similar figure. I'm sure some of those 700 dealers are thinking about it and will invest the needed money. But, this will certainly cull the weak dealers, though I do find it hard to believe there are that many weak Ford dealers. I can understand a luxury brand, like Cadillac, being very low volume in a lot of areas. But I'd think Ford will be pretty high volume, even in those rural areas. Though I guess used vehicles might reign supreme in certain parts.

·
Premium Member
35,869 Posts
2035 is not going to be the end of the internal combustion engine. Might be the end of GM as a viable automaker though
No worries! The Central Planners/Never Ran A Business squads in Worshington, and Bruxels, and Peking, have this all worked out!! Don't worry, be happy! Yes we can!! Change, change we can believe in!
(Please let me know if I've missed any cliches.)

Certainly is a huge risk. VW and GM are both going down should BEV not catch on the way both envision.

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Seeing repots and stories like this make me sort of have a feeling that the next decade or so is going to be a maelstrom of change in the industry and not all of it for the good.
Some good, some bad - change. I'm excited for something new, while I have nothing against ICE, it is getting pretty boring - hp has increased to insane proportions to the point it isn't all that interesting anymore and mpgs seemed to take on more interest for me and a better way to measure a manufacturers merit.

ICE will "get boring" faster as all cars will have the same, fast, no-hp/torque-curve feel, but still a huge change that will bring interest and excitement for awhile.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,714 Posts
(Please let me know if I've missed any cliches.)
Here are a couple from past General Motors and Ford Motor CEOs:

The business of business is business.
- Attributed to Alfred Sloan

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
- Henry Ford

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Some good, some bad - change. I'm excited for something new, while I have nothing against ICE, it is getting pretty boring - hp has increased to insane proportions to the point it isn't all that interesting anymore and mpgs seemed to take on more interest for me and a better way to measure a manufacturers merit.

ICE will "get boring" faster as a;; cars will have the same, fast, no-hp/torque-curve feel, but still a huge change that will bring interest and excitement for awhile.
Cars period are getting boring without even mentioning EVs.

90% of the ICE market is either a pickup truck, or an amorphous blob "CUV" powered by a ubiquitous 1.5-2.0 turbo 4 banger and a slushbox or worse, a CVT.

It's at the point where my Colorado is a veritable exotic simply because it's powered by a critically endangered naturally aspirated V6 with a 7k redline.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts

90% of the ICE market is either a pickup truck, or an amorphous blob "CUV" powered by a ubiquitous 1.5-2.0 turbo 4 banger and a slushbox or worse, a CVT.

It's at the point where my Colorado is a veritable exotic simply because it's powered by a critically endangered naturally aspirated V6 with a 7k redline.
There's still some excitement out there...
  • Hyundai is doing some interesting things with their N-Line
  • Genesis as a brand is spinning up to a full line (had a particularly sexy coupe concept a few months ago)
  • Ford has the Bronco and Raptor
  • FCA has their stuff that they cram in a Hellcat
  • You have the exotics...Ferrari is sending the ICE age out with a scream w/ their crazy powerful NA V12s
  • AMG is going to be doing some interesting stuff w/ hybridization...they also have a 400+hp 4 banger coming soon
I guess it all just depends on what floats your boat...I'm not really a domestic/import type of guy, I'm an equal opportunity hater.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,597 Posts
Here are a couple from past General Motors and Ford Motor CEOs:

The business of business is business.
- Attributed to Alfred Sloan

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
- Henry Ford
Somebody better tell Mary what Henry Ford said. They need to get stuff out on the lots and quit hyping and spinning. ;)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sooo..Mrs.Buttons and I were watching a show the other day in which there is a scene where a Ford Interceptor (detectives driving) was zooming around and schreeching tires and stuff. While it was zooming around it was making V8 sounds....The Interceptors (Taurus) have V6es.......

Soooo... when the world and more importantly Hollywood is all 'lecktric will the Hollywoodites dub in V8 sounds for an EV vehicle that makes no sound whilst zooming around? Or will there be no engine sounds and just screeching of the tires?

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
What I'm guessing is GMs long play is that they're hoping w/ Ultium that they end up being a supplier of EV platforms & batteries to multiple automakers...their deal w/ Honda is possibly a pilot to see how well their platform plays w/ other companies. GM did say that they were a tech company now...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Somebody better tell Mary what Henry Ford said. They need to get stuff out on the lots and quit hyping and spinning. ;)
Spending $27 B is not an overnight project. If you do not want to know what is coming and when, just read the the comic pages.
Nothing remotely funny or unwelcome about Mary's projections for the next few years.

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Part of it, at least for me, is that those boring 2.0T vehicles can, for the most part, run circles around the sporty cars of the 80's and 90's, leaving little room for performance. So performance vehicles have had to grow to such epic proportions that their capabilities are now only theoretical unless you have track access.

My CT4-V, getting protests from some on GMI, because it isn't a "real" V as it "only" has a 4.5 second 0-60 and 164 mph top speed - when you have people complaining about performance stats like that it tells me that expectations have gone askew, but done so as a response to how high the performance bar is set by those boring base cars.

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sooo..Mrs.Buttons and I were watching a show the other day in which there is a scene where a Ford Interceptor (detectives driving) was zooming around and schreeching tires and stuff. While it was zooming around it was making V8 sounds....The Interceptors (Taurus) have V6es.......

Soooo... when the world and more importantly Hollywood is all 'lecktric will the Hollywoodites dub in V8 sounds for an EV vehicle that makes no sound whilst zooming around? Or will there be no engine sounds and just screeching of the tires?
Well, in Star Wars all the space ships make sound, yet there isn't any sound in space :D :D :D

Perhaps they can use the sound of my wife screaming every time I give the car a little juice!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts