GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2008/09/pontiac_g3_-_addressing_the_rumors.html

By Jim Hopson
Manager, Pontiac Communications

Although there have been rumors floating around all summer, we can now confirm that the G3 is officially coming to the U.S.

If you haven’t heard, the Pontiac G3 is a stylish five-door that features excellent fuel efficiency (27 mpg city, 34 mpg highway) plus a high level of standard content and interior passenger space, all rolled into a vehicle that fills a current void in our product portfolio of the fastest growing segment in the market, small cars.

We’re talking five star crash rating, the best shoulder and hip room in its class, comfortable seating for four adults (five, if you’re “friendly”), the best city fuel economy of any vehicle Pontiac offers, and what we expect to be the lowest starting price in the Buick-Pontiac-GMC showroom. You can check out Pontiac.com to learn more.

But, as with all rumors, there are those who have already been critical and have raised a number of questions about why we would bring the G3 to the U.S. We could give a whole series of rationale, business-like answers, but we’d rather just shoot from the hip, so here goes…

Isn’t the G3 just a re-badged Chevy Aveo? The G3 and Aveo share a lot of components, true. But Toyota and Lexus also share components. Why re-engineer the wheel unnecessarily?

Why do you need a G3 and a Vibe? Put the cars side-by-side and you’ll see the difference clearly. The G3 is about 16-inches shorter than the Vibe, so, while they are both five-doors, they are in two different classes. Kinda like saying a Corvette ZR1 and a Yugo are the same thing just because they’ve both got four wheels.

How can the G3 possibly be a Pontiac? Because it’s sporty and fun-to-drive when compared to many of the cars in its segment. True, it’s not a RWD V8, but that’s why the G8 is sitting in the same showroom. Different strokes for different folks.

The long and short of it is that only a fool buries his head in the sand when times are changing, and, with one hundred years in the business, we’ve never seen the automotive world change as much as it has in the past 18-months. Pontiac customers, both new and old, are changing their priorities, too, and we want to be there for them with a complete line of sporty alternatives.

The G3 is a great little car, pure and simple, and we hope you’ll feel the same when you test drive one as it arrives in dealerships in spring 2009. Is it perfect? Heck, no, but that’s why your feedback here and in other forums is so important.

Change and growth are never easy, but knowing that we’re all in it together makes its possible.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replies to the GM website as of 4PM:

Raymond Joyal

As a Pontiac guy living in Canada, I fail to see how the G3 enhances the Pontiac brand.

I’m not asking Pontiac to bury their heads in the sand, I’m asking GM to give Pontiac the appropriate DNA to build Pontiacs.

You know, “we build excitement?” Built for drivers?” I fail to see how a G3 Sedan falls into those categories.

I’m not even saying the Aveo is a bad car, IMO it just doesn’t fit as a Pontiac.

(I own two Trans Ams, used to own a Fiero, and the wife may yet be buying a Solstice. I’m also still ticked the GTO never came to Canada and have tried to justify a G8 GXP as a family car.)

Fred

As if fighting off the image of all the grand ams and sunfires rolling around wasn’t bad enough. Quit catering to the dang dealers! They don’t know what’s best. Never have, never will.

I can not believe how stupid this is. GM has been making some really nice cars and some nice decisions lately, but this sure as heck isn’t one of them. And unless you did some serious tweaking to the Aveo, this car is NO WAY what a Pontiac should be.

Jeff Henderson

A comparison to Toyota and Lexus sharing parts? So is the G3 the Lexus to the Aveo’s Toyota? GM needs to stop diluting their brand images (nod to Raymond J’s previous comment on Pontiac excitement), stop selling re-badged vehicles across brands, and focus on building multi-level vehicle segments by brand that retain brand image and offer customers within that brand a level of choices to move up or down through. As a GM shareholder I am as irritated by this announcement as I was excited by the recent Volt reveal.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I still ask why is Pontiac getting it when I can go to Chevy and get the same thing? LAME.

·
Banned
423 Posts
hahah G3 is sporty. what a joke. If these people think that g3 is a good car and good car for pontiac i have no hope for gm. Maybe it will be best for nissan to take over gm. At least we would not get g3 g5 g6 and every other crap. LoL with GM defending g3 and so many people complaning about it. Now everybody will know what kind of garbage aveo is too. At least some people did not know and they purchased it. Now please bring over buick version since buick needs one too and call it American lexury, and then give one to saab and call it european sports car, then give one to saturn and call it up scale european car and then give one to caddy and call it art and science. I think only people that get a job at gm are morons. No normal person would let this be produced. Do you think that Jim Press or nissan ceo would let this go? Or for Ceo??? You can only get crap like this from gm? thank god there are other automakers out there.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
My dream.. is that they are giving pontiac the G3 because they are going to be making a new RWD from the alpha platform and need the G3 to help with average fuel ecomony for the brand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A subcompact can be a Pontiac. Pontiac should have a subcompact. Whether the G3 is the Pontiac that they deserve is undetermined at this point. It isn't too bad on the eye... so far so good.vThe engine is a negative though. How can it not get at least as good of mileage as the G5 on the highway?

The car should go after Scion as a cheap car that can be personalized and is efficient transportation. A perfect opportunity to regain Pontiac's youth and secure them as buyers later in life... for more expensive cars.

Hopefully GM did it right. Judging by the answers in GM's defense, I'm worried.

·
Banned
423 Posts
A subcompact can be a Pontiac. Pontiac should have a subcompact. Whether the G3 is the Pontiac that they deserve is undetermined at this point. It isn't too bad on the eye... so far so good.vThe engine is a negative though. How can it not get at least as good of mileage as the G5 on the highway?

The car should go after Scion as a cheap car that can be personalized and is efficient transportation. A perfect opportunity to regain Pontiac's youth and secure them as buyers later in life... for more expensive cars.

Hopefully GM did it right. Judging by the answers in GM's defense, I'm worried.
G3 going after scion and honda fit. Please gm just put your self out of business now so that way your eployees will not suffer later.
Look even gm made something like mini that is at different price point that aveo. You could charge people more for it then with aveo plus you could make it sporty and fuel effcient like mini. THen nobody would complain but this crap is just crazy. Anybody who chooses aveo or g3 over fit needs to see a doctor right away because there is something wrong in their had. By buying this crap you are not even supporting American workers since its made in korea.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Isn't this G3 based on the newer Aveo that we don't have here?

Anyways, I appreciate his candor. He's being mostly honest (is it fun to drive because it's a go-cart, or actually fun?), and reaching out to those of us who spend our personal time investing ourselves in his business (Pontiac, not his little black book). That being said, though, where's the three door they get elsewhere? I would buy that before I'd buy this.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
G3 going after scion and honda fit. Please gm just put your self out of business now so that way your eployees will not suffer later.
Look even gm made something like mini that is at different price point that aveo. You could charge people more for it then with aveo plus you could make it sporty and fuel effcient like mini. THen nobody would complain but this crap is just crazy. Anybody who chooses aveo or g3 over fit needs to see a doctor right away because there is something wrong in their had. By buying this crap you are not even supporting American workers since its made in korea.

Are you old enough to drive?

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
**** techno beat intro ****

Voiceover: "Introducing the First Ever Pontiac G3"

**** Red G3 drives an imaginary chicane on a Black background leaving glowing red tire trails in it's wake ****

Voiceover: "Bringing Great Fuel Economy and Pontiac Excitement to Your Commute"

**** techno beat continues ****

Voiceover: "Pontiac: Fuel for the Soul"

Sales shoot through the roof. GM hits 30% market share. Hummer gets H4 version of Aveo. Naysayers eat their hats. Hat shortage ensues. GM starts making hats. Profits soars to record levels! GM buys Toyota!

Oh thank you G3! :barf:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Isn't this G3 based on the newer Aveo that we don't have here?

Anyways, I appreciate his candor. He's being mostly honest (is it fun to drive because it's a go-cart, or actually fun?), and reaching out to those of us who spend our personal time investing ourselves in his business (Pontiac, not his little black book). That being said, though, where's the three door they get elsewhere? I would buy that before I'd buy this.
I tink that is the trick...I have no problem with the Aveo being a Pontiac also. I have a problem calling this a premeire! Wouldnt this have been the perfect time to say "Pontiac introduces the g3" and it was the new Aveo sedan? Why the 5 again? I see it cannibalizing Aveo sales to a greater degree than it helps the Pontiac image.

GMs thoughts are that the Sierra and the Silverado appeal to different customers. My thoughts are that they cause tension between the two brands competing for the same customers. Customers price shop both trucks against each other. It would be a different ballgame if there were fewer dealers out there but you are going to end up with Aveo customers price sopping G3's and vice versa.

I dont think it is a bad move to get more press but I do not think it is a good long-term plan. I see more of this happening in the near future.

Meanwhile, my lease is up in 8 months and I would pay $2000 extra to have a Cruze in February. Someone make it happen.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Are you old enough to drive?
i am 28 for your information. Just because you are pontiac dealer you should not try to discredit people. By the way soon nobody will buy your pontiac because of crap like g3. I know i will not and most people on this site will not and on every other site. Wake up and look around you and you will see what people are saying about g3. Nobody but pontiac dealers have nothing good to say about this car.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts