GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,134 Posts
My guess is a 3D Chess game, because Ford's Rivan deal, before it went south.

25-50hp Electric Motors will bring very little to Automobile World, however 525hp Motors like the "Lighting" aren't needed in real World either. Imagine a vehicle like the Lightening's Battery Pack with 300 mile of Range (with 1000lb payload) that will go 70mph on 150hp, and 700 miles range with 2-4 people.

Tesla may have set the Bar for Hyper Electric Cars, when really what is needed is a vehicle that will do Freeway Speeds, and has a lot more range.
I remember Ford gloating about their Rivian purchase. They got used like a cheap druggie whao

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Electric Boat of Groton has been building lektriks for a century. Submarines starting in WWI and on to today with the updated Ohio class nuke. Oh, they're called General Dynamics now.

They also built the Nautilus. First US nuke sub, for the young whippersnappers out there.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Premium Member
35,134 Posts
Electric Boat of Groton has been building lektriks for a century. Submarines starting in WWI and on to today with the updated Ohio class nuke. Oh, they're called General Dynamics now.

They also build the Nautilus.
Lectric boat is different from outboard electrics.

You will be happy to know however, that the WW II Fleet boats that sent the Shogunate's Merchant Marine Navy to Iron bottom sound all over the pacific were using GM Diesel electric locomotive motors "slash" know-how, whose technology made it possible for those boats to patrol the vast pacific and stay submerged for long periods...

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
I remember Ford gloating about their Rivian purchase. They got used like a cheap druggie whao
Do you think the Rivian investment was "bad"?

$500 million to $10 Billion seems like an OK return to me, I bet they wished they bought more.......

·
Premium Member
35,134 Posts
Do you think the Rivian investment was "bad"?

$500 million to $10 Billion seems like an OK return to me, I bet they wished they bought more.......
The Rivian investment was not a bad investment. Ford was not interested in a stock trade account. They were interested in savings that come from engineering and development collaborations.

I whoa does walk away with cash, so?

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
there are "electric only" lakes in the USA and electric outboards for MANY years
we are starting to see BATTERY pricing come down to a point that bigger power is "affordable"
and up to 50 BHP they are for near shore / protected water usage as you are NOT going bigger then about 16 foot
I have a 14 foot flat bottom "john" that I use a 9 BHP Merc 110 on and a 10 BHP electric would be AWESOME for the quiet under way unlike the MERC

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I'd be open to an electric outboard boat motor. A motor that doesn't make all of the racket of my 15hp Johnson would be easier on my ears and make for a lot more pleasant time on the boat.
that’s what I was thinking- be really nice to not have the noise of an engine, really ruins the peace of being on water. I prefer kayaking to being on a motorboat ( though I love to waterski, need a motorboat for that). I like sailing for the same reason, just the sound of wind and water, very relaxing!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,436 Posts
I'd be open to an electric outboard boat motor. A motor that doesn't make all of the racket of my 15hp Johnson would be easier on my ears and make for a lot more pleasant time on the boat.
My dad has an electric trolling motor he has used for his boat, and it seemed to work pretty good when I was with him. It also worked well as an emergency motor to get out of trouble too ;).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My dad has an electric trolling motor he has used for his boat, and it seemed to work pretty good when I was with him. It also worked well as an emergency motor to get out of trouble too ;).
An electric trolling motor is in the plans. I'm waiting to find one for the right price.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
There’s thousands of small lakes that have only allowed electric power for years because of noise abatement. In the past you were pretty much limited to trolling motors.

The small lake I live on has a gas hp limit so It will be interesting to see what happens when someone rips around on the lake below with an electric PWC on these previous low speed lakes.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Land lot

·
Premium Member
35,134 Posts
There’s thousands of small lakes that have only allowed electric power for years because of noise abatement. In the past you were pretty much limited to trolling motors.

The small lake I live on has a gas hp limit so It will be interesting to see what happens when someone rips around on the lake below with an electric PWC on these previous low speed lakes.

View attachment 64916
That is very pretty, if I do say so myself

21 - 32 of 32 Posts