GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Detroit – General Motors is testing the water in electric boating by buying a 25% stake in a Seattle company that makes battery-powered outboard motors.
The Detroit automaker said Monday that it bought the stake in Pure Watercraft for a venture that it says will develop and commercialize battery electric watercraft.
Pure Watercraft, founded in 2011, is worth $600 million after the GM deal, spokesman Gabe Johnson said. GM said its investment is worth $150 million, including cash and in-kind contributions. The companies would not disclose how much money GM is putting into the deal.
Privately held Pure Watercraft makes an electric outboard propulsion system powered by a lithium-ion battery. It’s designed as a drop-in replacement for any boat with a gas outboard motor from 25 to 50 horsepower. The company also works with boat manufacturers to sell complete boats, according to its website.
The two companies will combine Pure Watercraft’s marine experience with GM’s engineering, supply chain and manufacturing capabilities, the automaker said in a prepared statement.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Do I really want to be in a large body of water with a big 'ol battery?
Probably not. However, I think you should be OK with using battery electric watercraft in smaller non-tidal bodies of water, assuming of course the craft is properly built.

Like electric cars, electric boats are an older technology that had its heyday in the late 19th and early 20th century.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
There’s a guy that has an electric pontoon on our lake. It looks like it zips around pretty good. No idea of the range.

The place I vacation at in Newport Beach has been using electric boat taxis for at least ten years. Probably just a trolling motor or 3 buried under a cover but still.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
It will work for a lot of boats but I can’t see it working on big powerboats. I have a buddy who used to work at MTI in Wentzville Missouri and their catamarans are well known for their efficiency and the larger boats are doing awesome to get 4 miles to the gallon with twin 450r’s.

Your not taking off from Florida and going to Bimini with electric power in a powerboat of any safe size.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Here (MN), ELux Electric Boats was bought by PURE last year. They made a pontoon and a small 2-3 person runabout. PURE builds eOutboards as well as other type of watercraft.

It makes sense, in terms of plug and play. Dealing with boats can be a pain in the arse, so this SHOULD be easier use/own. That being said, with high voltages, I would hate to be in the water when either the charger falls in the lake or the if their is some type of accident where the battery is still active while its in the water.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
I actually think fuel cells might be the best option for zero emission water craft, especially water taxi, ferry, pilot boats, etc. They're commercial and would be better off with their own hydrogen infrastructure.
+1
Norled's MF Hydra won Norway's "Ship of the Year" appellation this year. It's the world's first hydrogen fuel cell powered ferry.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
+1
Norled's MF Hydra won Norway's "Ship of the Year" appellation this year. It's the world's first hydrogen fuel cell powered ferry.

San Francisco was supposed to have launched their hydrogen fuel cell ferry this year, but with the pandemic and all, it's still doing trials last I heard. It'll launch officially sometime next year.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Prototype supercharger?
Water Lightning Sky Atmosphere Thunder

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
FWIW, submarines are electric powered when submerged. Submarines with diesel engines use their engines to charge their batteries while on the surface. They are on battery power while underwater--because bad things happen when you run a diesel engine inside a sealed tank. Nuclear submarines are able to charge their batteries essentially 100% of the time. They can charge their batteries while underwater because nuclear reactors don't generate CO2 or toxic exhaust gases. Many naval surface ships also run on electricity.

The take away message is that electric power should not be a problem for civilian boats if it is good enough for submarines and aircraft carriers.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
GM is playing 3D chess, with Tesla, I think they finally got one on Elon!

All the coal China is going to burn powering EV's will cause global-warming.............

Ice Caps melt, lands flood.......... everyone needs a boat! "check-mate"!

🤓

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GM is playing 3D chess, with Tesla, I think they finally got one on Elon!

All the coal China is going to burn powering EV's will cause global-warming.............

Ice Caps melt, lands flood.......... everyone needs a boat! "check-mate"!

🤓
My guess is a 3D Chess game, because Ford's Rivan deal, before it went south.

25-50hp Electric Motors will bring very little to Automobile World, however 525hp Motors like the "Lighting" aren't needed in real World either. Imagine a vehicle like the Lightening's Battery Pack with 300 mile of Range (with 1000lb payload) that will go 70mph on 150hp, and 700 miles range with 2-4 people.

Tesla may have set the Bar for Hyper Electric Cars, when really what is needed is a vehicle that will do Freeway Speeds, and has a lot more range.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts