GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/03/gm-cuts.html

General Motors is expected to announce it is stopping production at its pickup truck plant in Oshawa, Ont., axing 1,000 jobs in the process, according to a report.
GM Chairman Rick Wagoner should make the announcement Tuesday just before the company's annual meeting in Wilmington, Del., the Globe and Mail reported the same day.
The Canadian Auto Workers union confirmed the news with CBC on Tuesday morning. Production is expected to be halted some time next year.
Three other plants that assemble pickups or sport utility vehicles are also scheduled to be closed — in Janesville, Wis., Moraine, Ohio, and Silao, Mexico.
In May, the CAW reached an agreement with GM, which agreed to postpone a 900-worker layoff at the Oshawa truck plant until September 2009.
GM's Oshawa truck plant makes the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra. U.S. sales of GM trucks were down 15 per cent in the first three months of the year. In March, its truck sales in both the U.S. and Canada plunged 22 per cent, as the rising price of gas cut into sales of trucks and SUVs worldwide.
It was not immediately clear if the expected shutdown in Oshawa would be permanent, or if GM has a plan to replace pickups with the production of smaller, fuel-efficient cars.
If GM does close the Oshawa plant, it would no longer be producing trucks in Canada and would be reduced to one assembly plant here and a share of a joint-venture plant in Ingersoll, Ont.
Tuesday's news comes just weeks after the closure of a transmission plant in Windsor, Ont., which affected 1,400 workers.
GM said that closure was due to a market shift from the four-speed automatic transmissions made in Windsor to more fuel-efficient six-speed transmissions.
The Big Three automakers have cuts tens of thousands of jobs in the last few years as they struggle to turn around their struggling operations amid market gains by their Asia-based rivals.
North American automakers have been slower to adjust their product lineups to include more smaller vehicles and fewer gas-guzzling SUVs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If GM keeps pulling out plants, there wont be much of a reason left for Canadians to purchase GM vehicles.

And why not? Japanese car sales have already contributed to the recession in America, and the depression in Michigan.

THANKS FOREIGN CAR BUYERS!
BULL****! GM (and Ford and Chrysler) did this with their absolutely horrid management and product development over the last 30 years.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If GM keeps pulling out plants, there wont be much of a reason left for Canadians to purchase GM vehicles.

BULL****! GM (and Ford and Chrysler) did this with their absolutely horrid management and product development over the last 30 years.
GM vehicles are a lot better than people like you give them credit (or lack thereof) . For example, in 1988, GM revolutionized the fullsize pickup. ( I bought a 1991 Sierra that was dependable and reliable. I am finding out now that the only people that put them down so much are people that have never owned one. Unfortunately, GM bears the brunt of negative press of domestics when it is really Ford and Chrysler that are horrid.
You are probably one of those people that would never buy a Pontiac Vibe but would buy a Toyota Matrix in a flash.

·
Registered
333 Posts
GM vehicles are a lot better than people like you give them credit (or lack thereof) . For example, in 1988, GM revolutionized the fullsize pickup. ( I bought a 1991 Sierra that was dependable and reliable. I am finding out now that the only people that put them down so much are people that have never owned one. Unfortunately, GM bears the brunt of negative press of domestics when it is really Ford and Chrysler that are horrid.
You are probably one of those people that would never buy a Pontiac Vibe but would buy a Toyota Matrix in a flash.
The fact is that if GM (and Ford and Chrysler) built better cars over the last 30 years, they wouldn't be in this mess. Disputing this is laughable.

And yes you had a good truck, good for you. Unfortunately for GM, there is A LOT of people who have had the complete opposite experience with Gm products - and now they, their family and friends, will not buy GM.

And no I wouldn't buy a inferior import over a superior domestic - I have only ever owned American built cars. And I wouldn't buy a Vibe or Matrix, they are both boring cars, no matter the badge.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Hmm, I wonder why GM announced that. Could it have anything to do with the CAW's attitude? I present to you an article printed one year ago today...

(to the mods, I know we're not supposed to reprint full articles, but the link to this one is dead, since it's over a year old...or there's something else going on)

Buzz demands work for Windsor GM plant
Leaders threaten nationwide CAW strike

Trevor Wilhelm, Windsor Star
Published: Monday, June 04, 2007

CAW leader Buzz Hargrove said he'll use the union's full strength to "take down" General Motors with nationwide strikes if the company doesn't find a new product to build at the Windsor Transmission plant.

Hargrove was in town Sunday to rally the 1,200 members of Local 1973, many of whom are angry over GM's recent decision to build a new six-speed transmission in St. Catharines instead of Windsor. He said during a speech to a packed house at the Serbian Centre that getting a new product to build at Windsor Transmission will be the CAW's main goal when bargaining begins next year.

"They made the decision to put the transmission in St. Catharines, and they say publicly if they don't get the right deal in St. Catharines it will not come to Canada, therefore eliminating Windsor," Hargrove said. "I say to them, you better find a . . . product for Windsor or we'll take all of the General Motors corporation down in September 2008. General Motors workers have earned the commitment, especially in Windsor."

General Motors' announcement last month that St. Catharines will build the new transmission means at least 600 jobs there are safe. But it also makes the future of Windsor Transmission uncertain because union leaders aren't aware of any new products coming down the pipeline that need a home.

Hargrove received e-mails from some Windsor members blaming him for the loss. But he said Sunday he was as surprised about the announcement as anyone.

"I've been confident that we'd get the new family of transmissions in Windsor," Hargrove said. "St. Catharines has never built transmissions. It was a complete shock."

During his speech, in which he also renewed his call for the federal government to stop imports, he said a labour stoppage is the best "weapon" they have against GM to get more work for Windsor.

"If there's a strike, it's the whole GM chain that's out, not just one plant," Hargrove said.

Chris Buckley, president of the 10,000-member Local 222 out of Oshawa, came with Hargrove to pledge his members' support for the Windsor GM workers' cause.

"General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters," Buckley said.

"At the end of the day, GM made a decision to put your jobs in jeopardy. Don't let General Motors divide our solidarity, because if they do, they win."

Buckley, also chairman of the GM Canada master bargaining committee, echoed Hargrove's promise to make Windsor a priority in bargaining.

"This Windsor Transmission plant will be top on our agenda," Buckley said.

"It's going to be our objective to force General Motors to put a product in that plant. If they don't, then we'll take action.

"If it takes a strike in Canada to get their attention, that's exactly what we're going to be doing. The Windsor membership has the full support of GM members across the country."

The pledge of Canadawide strikes, if that's what it takes to get more work in Windsor, received widespread applause from the hundreds of people attending.

"I think the only way to compete against corporate globalization is for workers to globalize," said Glen Robertson, 54, a 32-year GM worker. "I don't see how else we can get around this if we don't take on that philosophy as workers."

But Robertson said he only wants to get more work if he's not taking it from someone else.

"It has to be something coming down the tube that General Motors is planning on building, whether it's another transmission, an engine, whatever," he said. "We don't want to be stealing somebody else's work either. It's got to be a new product."

[email protected]

or 519-255-5777 ext. 642

© The Windsor Star 2007
As most of you know by now GM has already announced to axe the Windsor Transmission plant in 2010 and the CAW has ratified a contract with GM. But with this attitude along with Buzz's unyielding opposition to the UAW approved two-teir wage system, (in order to preserve is "legacy") and the Canadian Dollar advantage gone...why would GM want to build anything in Canada? :confused:

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

BULL****! It's the absolutely horrid taste and sheep like buying habits of import buyers. Buy domestic or go home! :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
BULL****! It's the absolutely horrid taste and sheep like buying habits of import buyers. Buy domestic or go home! :)
Right. I guess they should have bought a Taurus or last gen-malibu if they wanted a car that was the epitome of good taste. Or maybe the Cavalier? Maybe a Cimaron? Maybe some Diesel V8s from the 80s? Oh, even better would be the first 8-6-4 caddy v8? Oh, how about the pinto, or vega? It goes on and on. Give me a break. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts

My Civic was made in Canada which at the time was a hell alot better then a "domestic" J-car.Its not import buyers fault blame years of poor products(X ,J and others) and after sale service and poor mangament.I won't even start with pos van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts