GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us have noted over the years that high ranking officals of GM and other companies receive very expensive items for retirement gifts. Elaborate retirement parties where these gifts are presented are given at company expense.

While the average corporate worker only receives a piece of paper showing their years of service. We would be interested to hear your opinions!

Jack

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What makes them better than all of the other employees? Why don't they take that money and put it into cars, or distribute it to all the employees.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One GM Exc. received a Harley Davidson Ultra Glider this week as a retirement gift. Cost of the party to present the motorcycle several $100,000. Cost of the bike approx. $30,000.

What did you or a retiree you know get?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
How much did that executive make per year?

How much does the average "regular" guy make per year at retirement.

I think the goodbye gift's price is in direct preportion to the salary of the employee.

That's not unreasonable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting comments and points of view, however, the fact is, these cost are passed on to the GM public in the price of cars and auto parts. This is just an example of one exc. I'm sure over the course of several years there are 100's receiving the same gifts and parties. And the cost continue to raise the price of cars and parts.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Everyone groops the Exec's into this cold hearted group of people that have no soul and got this job without doing any hard work. Every exec has a lot to do other then building a car. They have way way way way way more stuff to worry about, not to mention the hard work that they did to get there. This sounds better then what Enron execs did. At least when you retire from GM, your 401k will still be there.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
The fact is: wether they give excutives nice retirement or not, vehicle prices are still going to climb ;)

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
We also don't live in a communist society where everyone makes the same amount.

Your debate can expand to say why does the executive make more in the first place?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, several things you have said in the previous post are correct. However, we don't have to contribute to the higher price of cars with expensive parties and gifts for only exc's.

Yes, it could be worst (Enron), but it could also be better. And I hope you are right about our 401k's being there for the future. Expensive parties and gifts also do nothing to contribute to the pension fund balance, which up until December was grossly under funded.

Hard working people, are hard working people, exc's or not. Middle management should also be rewarded if the exc's are honored.

Oh well, that's what makes the world go round...diffenent points of view.

Thank God we do live in a free country and we can say what we think.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I see my executives at work. I know what they do. They are secretaries. They funnel proposals to the correct department. Whoop-ti-do. Hard work. They make tough decisions though. The department responsible for whatever the proposal is does a feasibility study and such. It's so hard to make a decision when people lay out all the data for you. Boy, do they ever deserve more money for that. That's real hard. Basic reading comprehension, tough stuff. Oh but they come up with new ideas. Yeah. New ideas like let's make more money. How novel. Or better yet, "Let's make more money, how would you do that? Mmhmmm, could you do a feasibility study on that?"

Yeah. Them Executives sure do work their buns off. <_<

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Banzai, I guess we have all had experiences with that type of exc. Surely, all would agree they do not deserve expensive parties and elaborate gifts when they retire. It does nothing good for the moral of the remaining middle management folks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think Peter Hanenbergers(ex gmh ceo) retirement gift was good. He received a custom made black monaro, with gto spec engine and gto spec exhaust. Also had custom interior trim. He shipped it back to Germany, and its now cruising the autobahns :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just remember no one pointed a gun at their heads and made them take the more stressful jobs. They was the choice they made because they wanted the big bucks and the high profile attention they got!

After being paid these extremely high salaries and bonuses, excessive retirement gifts are not appropriate. Remember these folks make these big dollars even when the companies sales and market share is down!!!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by spoacdc1@Apr 2 2004, 05:06 PM
Just remember no one pointed a gun at their heads and made them take the more stressful jobs. They was the choice they made because they wanted the big bucks and the high profile attention they got!

After being paid these extremely high salaries and bonuses, excessive retirement gifts are not appropriate. Remember these folks make these big dollars even when the companies sales and market share is down!!!
well no, they didn't HAVE to take those jobs... i'm not saying "oh poor stressed-out CEO's"! but not everyone is cut out to be a CEO. at least not a good one. and there ARE some good ones. the company i work for doesn't just consider salary at upper levels... they consider it a "total compensation package" which includes salary, stock, bonuses, vacation and, i imagine, retirement gifts. it irks me that this philosophy stops somewhere north of my level, but i don't outright fault it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Isn't the fact that they make millions and millions per year enough of a gift?

Suppose an exec makes $3,500,000 per year.

A factory worker makes $35,000 per year.

Is the exec's job really 100 times harder than the line workers? I somehow doubt it.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Apr 2 2004, 05:26 PM
Isn't the fact that they make millions and millions per year enough of a gift?

Suppose an exec makes $3,500,000 per year.

A factory worker makes $35,000 per year.

Is the exec's job really 100 times harder than the line workers?  I somehow doubt it.
i don't think any execs would argue that their job is 'harder' than everyone elses. but they have incredible decisions to make, and are responsible for exactly what happens to the guy on the line that makes $35,000. and the thousands like him. i'm more closely related to the line worker than the CEO, and i'm not outright defending their bonuses or even their salary, but it's pretty tricky to compare the two.

i'd personally agree that 3.5 million a year would probably be an adequate salary for any CEO. but i can see the rationale behind these gifts and bonuses. and since that's where things are, every company has to keep it up. GM wants the best and brightest CEOs (and other high-level employees)... so they have to entice them any way they can. no different than professional sports players or actors and actresses. except CEO's are responsible for entire companies that employee millions of americans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Through my experiences I have worked with both good and bad CEO's(or people with similar responsabilities) From what I have seen, they have alot more to worry about than what someone on the line making 35k does. the execs decisisons affect the jobs of those on the lines. If the exec makes one bad decision a whole plant can be shut down(camaro/firebird plant??) yeah, they make an incredibly large sum of money, but perks and incentives keep us all happy if we get them. everyone should be getting some kind of incentive/reward for their hard work, regardless of their titles. I'm not saying that a line worker should get a harley, but they should get something more than just a piece of paper and a 401k plan.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts