GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly did GMI get the go ahead from the General to post pictures of the Velite and STS? Did someone from the GMI staff work up the guts to ask them - or did GM just say "HEY! You look like a buncha cool dudes! Are you guys cool enough to handle a pre-embargo realise of sensitive product imagery? I though so! YEAHHHH!!"

Who ever it was - i must congradulate them. The Buick Velite made my day.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Branden spoke with a marketing executive at GM. He was told that we are allowed to show the pictures, but he doesn't want the pictures to be stored on our server.

He appreciated that we have always honored the embargoes, and that we have campaigned to others to follow suit.

This type of thing is what happens when you play by the rules.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I've got a proposal, Rex: these Velite and STS photos have been on a certain other website for 4 days now. I'm sure the PR guys at GM knew it, realized the cat's out of the bag and figured they ought the best they could do was play catch-up and let the guys who really care about their cars have a look, too.

So my proposal: how about we set up a way to notify you guys -- excuse me, you Supreme Beings -- when somebody else is running something good. Maybe it would give you guys some leverage with GM.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
All input is appreciated. But if you are going to rat out (ok, announce) another site, please do it by e-mail or private message, not through the board forums.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I spoke today with the head of Communications at a GM division and told him the situation about the pictures. I showed him how other sites had them up for 3 days, and it wasn't fair that we had abided by the embargo and getting scooped. Seeing as they had already been out a few days and were all over the place he allowed us to post links to the pictures. If you notice they are not hosted on our server, just hotlinked...so we are not the ones posting them. We plan to take a similar approach to this from now on as I am tired of getting scooped by embargo breakers:)

Plus this is GMInsidenews...and deleting posts with pictures of an upcoming car is not what I wanna do.

If you have something you think is embargoed, please email it to a staff member and we will work to get proper clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts