GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is becoming pretty clear, and many have stated that, manual transmission take up rate is pretty poor for mid to large cars. There have been massive advances in automatics and the fuel economy margin is also shrinking so besides actually being involved in the action of changing gears and operating the clutch (which is the bit I enjoy), there is precious little reason to keep them. Much as it pains me to say, in perhaps 5 to 10 years a three pedal stick shift may be a thing of the past. Does GM have a DSG anywhere in its empire? Is there one in development? Do you want one?

Personally I don't. I like to play, but GM needs to get serious. and no, a tap shift isn't the same.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'll just say that I'm old enough to have manually selected all the gears I'd ever care to. A well done automatic, especially behind (beside?) a V8/V6 would pretty much be my preferred choice in anything other than a small car.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
DSG is the future I'd imagine....at least for high end cars IMHO. The advantages are numerous, and the only real disadvantage is added cost. And like any new technology, the cost lessens as more are manufactured (ABS, SRS, Hybrids etc).

I sure count myself as a fan of manual cars....but ironically for the first time in my life, I find myself with 3 cars, all of which are automatics. :(

I don't miss manual shifting as often as I once did.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'd love to see something like a DSG in the C7 Corvette. I've been saying that for a while.

Sticks really are a dying breed nowadays - I'm glad I still remember how to do it (I drove a five-speed Scion xD for a week and hadn't driven stick in over two years before that).

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
I'll agree with the author of this thread--if there's any area for improvement in GM's warehouse, it's the necessity of adding a dsg transmission. If it weren't for the dsg transmission, the Nissan GT-R would have had at least five seconds added to its Nurburgring run.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
For as long as I can help it I don't want anything other than a manual trans in my personal vehicles

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
DSGs are supposed to be more efficient and powerful than a manual or automatic. Assuming price is reasonable and reliability is good, every automaker should be investing in them.

But manuals still typically deliver at least 1-2 mpg better than regular automatics, even if the official EPA fuel ratings are identical. I think in a time of $4 per gallon gasoline it makes sense for automakers and consumers both to invest more in manual transmissions.

·
Premium Member
36,290 Posts
I drove a deuce-and-a-half a few years ago, for the first time in a long time.

I think manufacturers should occassionally and at random put in bass-ackwards shift patterns in some of their cars for fun! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
For as long as I can help it I don't want anything other than a manual trans in my personal vehicles
Amen. DSGs make fabulous automatics, but at the end of the day, you've still got a bored left leg and right arm and a "PRNDL" on the console.

The automaker that hangs on to three-pedal manuals the longest is the one that will get my money.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I agree. If a company like Mitsu can develop a DSG type trans, GM should have had something like that long ago.

GM needs to redevelop the CVT, and they need to start/continue/finish work on a DSG.
I think the current 6spd auto RWD units are built to handle a DSG type system with the way it works vs a conventional auto trans of the past, but a wicked fast auto-manual trans would be outstanding.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Amen. DSGs make fabulous automatics, but at the end of the day, you've still got a bored left leg and right arm and a "PRNDL" on the console.

The automaker that hangs on to three-pedal manuals the longest is the one that will get my money.
that's how I ended up a Subaru owner

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
haha thanks mik I'll keep that in mind if I ever make it down there. I simply wish to give my money to the automaker that builds the "best" car for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts