GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to applaud GM for utilizing DRL as standard equipment in all of their vehicles. My question is at one time GM was using the parking lamps as the DRL and now they have switched to the main headlights running @ 80% full beam mode. Could someone explain why GM switched from the parking lamps to the main headlights as a choice for DRL? If I buy a new GM product, could I ask the dealership to switch the DRL function from the head lamps to the parking lamps? I plan on buying 2 GM products very soon to replace 2 vehicles I own that are over 10 years old.

Thanks for the timely response.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I believe Buick still uses the parking lights as their DRL's. Personally, I hate them and turn them off everytime I drive my truck.

I don't think the dealership will switch your lights without a hefty fee attached. I would ask but I think you'll be disappointed with the answer!

BTW- Welcome to GMI!!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I only like the DRL's when they're through the parking lamps, I'm currently trying to do that setup on my SS but I'm still kinda short on bulbs to use. I need to get back out to the junk yard this week..

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Can someone explain to me what the point of DRL's are? IMO I think they are a waste of energy and they just shorten the lifespan of the bulb, wouldn't just be better to equip all cars with automatic headlamps that turn on when it's actually dark out?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Can someone explain to me what the point of DRL's are? IMO I think they are a waste of energy and they just shorten the lifespan of the bulb, wouldn't just be better to equip all cars with automatic headlamps that turn on when it's actually dark out?
The people that live in dank basements, eat chalk and think up ways to complicate other people's lives have deemed that since automobile drivers don't pay attention to other automobiles, they must force them to.

If you pay attention to the road, and not that text message you just got, chances are that you'll see that car coming the other way; you don't need headlights on at all times. And yes, my car has DRL's.

Just another example of the "Dumbing Down" of North American society.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my 2001 sunfires DRL where the headlights. my dads 04 Grand prix GT they where the little half moon orange lights in the bumper. something they just change i think. 05-06 cobalts had the orange lights for the DRL and now 07-09s there the headlights.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
The people that live in dank basements, eat chalk and think up ways to complicate other people's lives have deemed that since automobile drivers don't pay attention to other automobiles, they must force them to.

If you pay attention to the road, and not that text message you just got, chances are that you'll see that car coming the other way; you don't need headlights on at all times. And yes, my car has DRL's.

Exactly. I believe it was actually an agreement the gov't and GM came up with after the whole "side- saddle" gas tank fiasco. In order for GM to avoid replacing fuel tanks on 1981 trucks that were sitting in front of double wides everywhere, GM decided to make their vehicles "safer" by installing DRL's on their vehicles. IMO they're stupid and a waste, but helped GM avoid a costly recall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my 2001 sunfires DRL where the headlights. my dads 04 Grand prix GT they where the little half moon orange lights in the bumper. something they just change i think. 05-06 cobalts had the orange lights for the DRL and now 07-09s there the headlights.
I prefer the front parking lamps/turn signal indicators used as DRL than the headlights so I will ask them to reprogram the DRL when I purchase the new car(s).

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Exactly. I believe it was actually an agreement the gov't and GM came up with after the whole "side- saddle" gas tank fiasco. In order for GM to avoid replacing fuel tanks on 1981 trucks that were sitting in front of double wides everywhere, GM decided to make their vehicles "safer" by installing DRL's on their vehicles. IMO they're stupid and a waste, but helped GM avoid a costly recall.
I wish it had been that simple here in Lower Iglooville.

We got saddled with them in 1990, if memory serves. Our chalk eaters likely would not have been affected much by NBC putting dynamite in the tanks of GM pickups though. We don't need the media to be prematurely anal.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I hate DRLs, my SAAB went through bulbs every 3 months like clockwork, thats what happens when you drive 30K miles per year. My HHR allows me to turn them of which I do every time.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

That is exactly wrong... While it is true that DRL DO NOT prevent auto crashes they HAVE been proven to save lives... How is that possible?

One word PEDESTRIANS... Especially kids. (OK that's three words)

In study after study cars with DRL have been shown to make your car way more visible to kids on bikes and in cross walks. There has also been some evidence that they also reduce pedestrian accidents with seniors too.. But that evidence is not statistically proven... yet...

If a $8.00 bulb saves the live of a 10 year old kid, that's a small price to pay.

I've become know as a "GM Management basher" .. But in this case... GM Management did something VERY right. I applaud them too.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
That is exactly wrong... While it is true that DRL DO NOT prevent auto crashes they HAVE been proven to save lives... How is that possible?

In study after study cars with DRL have been shown to make your car way more visible to kids on bikes and in cross walks. There has also been some evidence that they also reduce pedestrian accidents with seniors too.. But that evidence is not statistically proven... yet...

If a $8.00 bulb saves the live of a 10 year old kid, that's a small price to pay?

I've become know as a "GM Management basher" .. But in this case... GM Management did something VERY right. I applaud them too.
If they save so many lives, why not force all manufacturers to use them.

Frankly, I don't care whether my car has DRLs or not. Although, it is nice to not have to turn on the headlights when going through a tunnel during the day.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
If they save so many lives, why not force all manufacturers to use them. .
This is what happened in Canada, the European Union, etc :lmao:

I think initially GM wanted to put DRL as they could market it, and also it meant they could use one wiring harness for Canadian and US model. Costs less. But most of the US GM cars have an ability to turn them off which is not allowed under Canadian spec so again different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate DRLs, my SAAB went through bulbs every 3 months like clockwork, thats what happens when you drive 30K miles per year. My HHR allows me to turn them of which I do every time.
That is definitely a problem. When DRL's use the turn signal/parking lamp bulbs, the bulbs shine at the same intensity as if they were in their turn signal mode and I think that shortens the life of the bulb. That is why I feel GM decided to switch over to the headlamp DRL running the bulb at a lower voltage. I used to see alot of GM spec cars with one DRL turn signal/parking lamp bulb burned out. But when it is foggy or hazy, man you cannot miss that bright orange glow of the bulb. Really neat. Make sense??

·
Registered
6,274 Posts

If a $8.00 bulb saves the live of a 10 year old kid, that's a small price to pay.

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I have ONE, and only one piece of advice for all who would live their lives as if only THEY exist:

Pay attention. Cars hurt.

If we taught our children to respect traffic laws, pay attention, and not jaywalk across busy streets with a three year old in tow, then perhaps there might be more respect for each other as motorists and pedestrians. They might grow up thinking that laws are there so that we can all share transportation infrastructure, and get along.

If that 10 year old is MY kid, he doesn't run into the street in traffic....or if he does, it happens until I catch him. Perhaps others could teach theirs that too.

I don't need a headlight in the face to see a car coming when I'm at a crosswalk. This is more dumbing down of society, making laws because people are too stupid, lazy, or greedy to cross a street or drive safely. Ergo, we make a law that costs the rest of us $$., because of certain callous segment of society.

Go ahead and trash me as I deserve to be, but making our kids stupid enough to not understand traffic is dangerous is an offence against Darwin.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I agree fully mariner

But I mean in general the people who get hit by cars

They are stupid

They will always be stupid

Thus they will be always hit by cars even if you had a man waving a red flag walking 20 metres ahead.

That said DRL doesn't try to make the car "not hurt" just make the presence realized by the idiots as the light source will "catch" the eye...

As for Darwin it doesn't really apply to humans even though we love to say "Darwin Award" and such. People adapt themselves and their environment to suit themselves... eg glasses.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Go ahead and trash me as I deserve to be, but making our kids stupid enough to not understand traffic is dangerous is an offence against Darwin.
I don't need to bash you... The statistics do that on their own.

Your POV neglects the fact that people make mistakes... Especially kids.

If no-one ever made mistakes we wouldn't need seat belts, air bags, ABS brakes, Stability control, crumble zones etc, etc... All save lives... DRL is one simple safety feature that costs next to nothing to implement an even less to live with.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts

I don't understand, what does paying attention to the road have to do with DRL's? I am not trying to defend people who use their cell phones while driving, I think they are idiots, and many times while living here and in Brooklyn these retards nearly collided with me. I like the idea of automatic headlamps since they are on only when it's dark out (At night, and bad weather) and not during bright sunny days when headlights aren't needed.

I don't think this feature is dumbing down people, but IMO it's pointless.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts