GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading a few years back about how GM trucks would all share the same door handles - things like that to save costs.

Any progress on this front? The redesigned 2003 Express vans, for instance, seem to have the same door handles as pre-redesign.... :blink:

I wish they had those beefy, sleek door handles from the Suburbans - looks like the CSVs share those...? The Express handles are kinda thin and cheap feeling.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't really see this as a bad idea. Most people don't pick their cars by the door handle. I bet most don't even know what their's looks like.

Any door handle is better than the Nissan 350z's door handle.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I just wish they would stop using the black plasic door handles on trucks.. I mean, its okay for the Work Trucks and Base models, but even the Z71's have them!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
deeedeeeddeeeedeeee......news flash..........THIS JUST IN

ALL GM FULL SIZE TRUCKS HAVE THE SAME DOOR HANDLES.

I think this is something that dates back to the Eisenhower administration....maybe before...my 1978 K5 Blazer has the same doors as all the full size trucks that debuted in 1973.

The Savana/Express has a different door handle, as do the Colorado/Canyon and S10/Sonoma.

It's not just GM trucks that share the same door handles.....look at a Buick Park Avenue...Ponitac Grand Prix, Buick LeSabre, C5 Corvette, and others...they share the same door handles too...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Savana/Express has a different door handle, as do the Colorado/Canyon and S10/Sonoma.
Well then technically they don't all share the same door handles. ;)

Actually, I was thinking more about common parts sharing in general. I like the idea of the General using the "Parts Bin" more. Makes replacement parts cheap and easily available years later.

The Chevy Blazer/Suburban/Full Size Pickups (and GMC twins) were awesome in the 1970's -- you can get a replacement part catalog from LMCTruck.com that has just about every part you need to build one from the ground up!

http://lmctruck.com/

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
All full size GM trucks do...

I was looking at an early 1980's S-10 today, it has the same "flip" style door handles like the same vintage F-bodies and G-body mid size cars.

I already got my LMC catalog....I need some patch panels for my 1978 K5 Blazer, though it was a Southern car, purchased new in TN, it does have some of the typical rocker panel and wheel lip rust....she was an interesting car, purchased by a dentist when new in 1978, he ordered her with all the options, which is not unusual now, but this was the 1970's when trucks were still trucks, she has cruise control, 400cid V8, skid plates, power windows, locks, 31 gallon fuel tank, tilt wheel, rally wheels, gauge package, roof rack, sliding rear windows, Cheyenne deluxe trim package, full time 4x4.

She does need some work though, as most 25 year old trucks do.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Wow. The door handle. <_< In the late 1950s, GM said all of the cars had to share the entire Buick door. The gentle dip in the door line was followed through on the Cadillacs which led to the dramatic fins of '59. Look at the GM cars of the late fifties, even share an entire door they look completely different. Are designers not talented enough to do that again?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 18 2004, 10:37 PM
I don't really see this as a bad idea.  Most people don't pick their cars by the door handle.  I bet most don't even know what their's looks like.

You would be surpised how many "traditionlists" would only buy a LeSabre because of the outward protuding D door handles, if money was an issue showing them a Century\Regal that was the first thing they would bring up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I dont really care if most chevys use the same handles. GM has always done that. Look at the 1970 Chevy line-up and the 1980 Chevy line-up and notice one thing. They all have the same door handles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like the pull style handles or button style handles over the flip up ones. My hand always slips off them and hurts like a *****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts