GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, my parents are trying to get their 2001 Silverado bought back. Well, after fighting all this time, today they offered them a new engine and extended warranty, and that is NOT what they wanted! They are fighting to get the truck replaced with a new one, on the account that basically EVERYTHING on that truck either doesn't work, makes noise, or is burned out! And the truck has been taken care of VERY well!

Oh ya, and the guy from Chevrolet even admited: " There is no garantee that a new engine will fix the problem"!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

To GM: This is very disappointing, if you cared at all about your costomers you would replace a truck that is UNSAFE and is worthless...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Have you pushed the button yet? (j/k) :p

I know how it stinks to have a lemon. But I would rather get a new engine and extended warranty (if it is transferable) on the condition that they fix all of the other little problems.

After they replace the engine and give you the transferable warranty, try trading it in a week later (make sure you make no mention of this plan beforehand). Express some discontent. I went with a buddy who was in the same predicament to the dealership and they were more than happy to trade him up, basically offering invoice on the new car, with rebates on top of that, and giving him the maximum they could for the new truck. They also had a "demo" vehicle they offered for under invoice (it had 5000 miles on it), but it wasn't what he wanted - ask about demo vehicles. If they are a good dealer, they should do this -- if not, go to another GM dealer.

Keep in mind, it's not the dealer's fault you have a lemon. You might not want to give them business, but again, if the car is a break-down prone piece of junk, you want to get rid of it --- if they won't buy it back, work it so they are sort of buying it back with a trade in. I dunno how it works but I assume GM would actually be buying it back, and to them you are just some faceless number of people who are trying to get into a fresh new vehicle, even though the dealer is offering to make what they consider sufficient repairs. The dealer doesn't want to buy it back, obviously, because they too got screwed in a way by the shoddy product.

My advice - don't get another Silverado. Truck awards notwithstanding, it is not a stellar scorer in the reliability arena according to magazines and reports I've read. The last thing you want is to buy another one and have some of the same things happen. You'll go nuts.

You'll probably say it is too small, but I would get a crew cab Colorado with the I-5. It's fresh, new, recently designed, and I seriously doubt you will have any engine troubles. Or a redesigned for 2003 Chevy Express - so it's not a pickup, but take the rear seats out and it might as well be. I dunno - the Silverado simply hasn't changed enough for me in the past few years. At least if they had done a serious redesign, and not just a grille change and tweaks, you could feel confident that thes same problems wouldn't crop up.

OK, I'll stop rambling now - good luck, whatever you choose.
:zippy:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we had a confernse call with GM today (3 hrs :wacko: )

And that ******* from Chevrolet lied to us. He said that their case didn't fall under the Lemon Law, he said that we had only 2 service orders on the hesitation, when we had 5 of them sitting if front of us!!!!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Some dealers really suck-- I bought my Intrigue used from a Nissan dealer-- as far as I know, things still aren't worked out right since October. It was a HUGE mistake. Apparently they didn't "charge us" enough for the car.-- They felt the need to jack up the price AFTER the sale. Frequent lies have been the norm.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this has all come to an end! They are going to give them &27,0000 for their truck and then they have to buy a new 2004 truck that is &32K or higher... Which is an ok replacement, but they could have done better...

I am going to 'help' dad pick one out later today :lol:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jan 13 2004, 07:45 AM
Well, this has all come to an end! They are going to give them &27,0000 for their truck and then they have to buy a new 2004 truck that is &32K or higher... Which is an ok replacement, but they could have done better...

I am going to 'help' dad pick one out later today :lol:
Glad it to hear it. Atleast now you can have the more agressive grille and they have new rims for 04 that look really sharp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I work with a guy who bought a 2003 Silverado (with a V6) and took it back to the dealer about 10 times within 10k miles. They kept it for a total of 1 month overall and even though they replaced things, "nothing was wrong with it". They said it didn't fall under the lemon law because the same thing wasn't replaced every time. So, he traded it in with them for a 2004 Silverado (with a V8) and when they asked him if anything was wrong, he said "according to you there's nothing wrong with it". They traded with him and it only raised his payments a few bucks and within a week they sold the truck to someone else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I get sick of hearing this too with my moms caddy(not going there now). Mabye one of you guys should work for gm :p

·
Registered
459 Posts
A similar situation with a Pontiac Dealership happened with my mothers 02 Bonneville. The dealership just jerked us around… after 4 trips to the dealership for a seat cover to be replaced, totaling roughly 1000 miles in transit I called Pontiac Customer Service, within a day or two, the representative called me back said he had had to confer with 6 other people including 2 dealerships and within 3 days it was fixed right, and not by the crummy dealership. I might mention that that dealership also refuses to work on vehicles not purchased there as well. So, try calling GM’s Customer service if your getting jerked around too much, because I know GM does not always get the scoop from dealerships, and they do want to preserve and improve their reputation.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I've only had stellar service with my Bonneville. Never had any complaints from the dealers on replacing parts or fixing the few things that needed fixing. :blink: Now that Celica lemon I owned.... <_<

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, they got the new truck today!!! ITs AWESOME!

Ming: I have no complaints about GM's service with normal vehicles, but with lemons its a WHOLE other story.. :blink:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I have now had the time to play with the truck and I have to say, it is MUCH improved over the 1999-2002...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jan 15 2004, 02:55 AM
OK, I have now had the time to play with the truck and I have to say, it is MUCH improved over the 1999-2002...
so your parents got a new silvarado? nice? what model? engine? pics?

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Bonneville is absolutely a great car, but it had a broken seat cover clip, and it took a month for the dealership to get it fixed, and when they did, they took the heated seats wiring harness out and kept it. After buying the car, we heard roughly 20 people say negative comments about the dealership, but everyone of them sans one loved the cars and the one that did not, well he took the car for transmission work and the mechanics caught the engine bay on fire in the 70s.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jan 15 2004, 11:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jan 15 2004, 11:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Jan 15 2004, 02:55 AM
so your parents got a new silvarado? nice? what model? engine? pics? [/b][/quote]
Its a 2004 Silverado Z71 Ext. cab...

5.3 Litre V8

That is it at the dealer..

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
not a fan of white, but a sweet car it is... wish I had that right now. Im about to leave work in my taurus with 4 inches of snow on the ground... thank god its not my z.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 8 2004, 06:04 PM

"After they replace the engine and give you the transferable warranty, try trading it in a week later (make sure you make no mention of this plan beforehand). "
tisk tisk Mr. Ming,

Have you not heard of the "Total Disclosure laws"? Or, are those only in Texas?
It's just like selling a house here. If you do not totally disclose everything done to your vehicle and the new buyer finds out later, (with car fax or whatever based on th evehicles VIN #) they can (not always) get a full refund by you, the seller, PLUS you might get fined/jail time if found guilty of fraud. All of the service orders that NSAP had would clearly show the attempts and the engine swap if swapped at that time.

BTW: Love that Avatar, always have!

Cheers all

PS: CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRUCK NSAP!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by rcj_houston@Mar 17 2004, 07:03 PM
Have you not heard of the "Total Disclosure laws"?  Or, are those only in Texas?
I imagine the disclosure laws vary state to state. Iowa only requires you to disclose whether the vehicle has been previously declared a total loss, or sustained more than $3000 (or possible $5000, can't remember) in any one accident. There is no requirement to disclose maintenance history.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jan 9 2004, 10:23 PM
Well, we had a confernse call with GM today (3 hrs :wacko: )

And that ******* from Chevrolet lied to us. He said that their case didn't fall under the Lemon Law, he said that we had only 2 service orders on the hesitation, when we had 5 of them sitting if front of us!!!!
Don't get me started about lemons. GM has squeezed enough to start a lemonade stand. The Customer Service Operations Manager at GMC, late 90's stated "we will buy your truck back sell it at auction and someone will be perfectly happy with it". I said well you do have lower standards that you’re meeting for your customers. They wanted to deduct so much per mile.

So my reply, "Well after $7800 in warrantee repairs at 11,000+ miles and 9 months to date you can just keep on fixing it. And 31,000 miles and 2 years later the warrantee repairs totaled $12,400+. The dealership had it a total of 3 months during my 2-year ownership.

I'm with ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts