GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Denies Cruze Delays; GMI Confirms No Delay

4K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  ConcordeNick 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GM Denies Cruze Delays; GMI Confirms No Delay

A GM spokesman says timing for the new small car is "still mid-2010" as originally announced.

Business Week magazine and an industry analyst reported yesterday that the launch of the Cruze was likely to be delayed six months or longer, as the automaker struggles to conserve cash during the economic downturn.

http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=9240449

From Nsap: GMI has independently confirmed with our sources that at this time there is no additional delay on the Chevrolet Cruze timing for launch in North America. We're told that if in fact a delay does have to take place (which is a last-resort), it will only be a few months to "Fall 2010" launch. But at this time NO delay exists.

#2 ·
Re: GM Denies Cruze Delays

A GM spokesman says timing for the new small car is "still mid-2010" as originally announced.

Business Week magazine and an industry analyst reported yesterday that the launch of the Cruze was likely to be delayed six months or longer, as the automaker struggles to conserve cash during the economic downturn.

http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=9240449
They better not delay the Cruze - I want to buy one ASAP.

#3 ·

I have confirmed through my sources that the Cruze has not been delayed. It is still on as planned. I think Business Week got things screwed up with the fact that it is launching globally sooner than in the US, but that was the plan from day one.

#4 ·

I have confirmed through my sources that the Cruze has not been delayed. It is still on as planned. I think Business Week got things screwed up with the fact that it is launching globally sooner than in the US, but that was the plan from day one.
I find journalism today pathetic. No checking of sources. Just put out something that seems to work with the popular headlines, like "GM going bankrupt", "ZR1 Delayed due to money woes at GM", "Cruze delayed", ...

Sigh.

My only gripe is that the Cruze won't be here in NA next year, which would be a good time for it to arrive in NA.

#18 ·
because the engine plant for the NA cruze has not been built yet
Unforunately, even though that reason has been stated here numerous times, people still ignore that fact. Thanks for reminding us.

#21 ·
Your logic doesn't make sense. Mazda has no problems selling the Mazda3 and that is on the Euro Focus platform.

#16 ·
Journalists are ridiculous these days. GM would do everything it could to keep the Cruze and the Volt on track. Both are going to be great cars for GM. This kind of reporting reminds me of the GM/Chrysler merger, we only know half the story... maybe that and they keep reporting on things that contradict each other too.

#19 ·
Ya'll are too much.

This was supposed to be a 2010 vehicle! It was never this and GM spun this yarn so that it would appear to happen sooner rather than later. They lied. The vehicle will be a 2011 model and this just shows you how utterly incompetent GM is at launching important vehicles.

Whether this is delayed 1, 2, 3, or 6 months, this never was a 2010 model vehicle and GM's management lied!

#26 ·
GM is waiting to launch the Cruise because they want to wait until the price of gas has come back down to $1.50 per gallon so nobody will want to buy a small car. Perfect time to launch a small car. I can't wait until these new CAFE regs kick in and the only car available to the public are a bunch of roller skates with 65hp. Only then will they raise hell, and have to wait forever before we get real cars again.

Gas here in Dallas is $2.27 per gallon today. Time to buy a G8 GXP!

#28 ·
We all would like the Cruze (and Volt, of course) to be here tomorrow. Between them, they will have a great impact on the media and public perception of GM, just as the new Fiesta and upcoming C2 Focus will for Ford.

But . . . . just how much more money will GM make on a Cruze than it does a Cobalt? A little more per unit, perhaps, but I, for one, don't see it as a panacea.

#31 ·
There are plenty of reasons why the Cruze is being sold first in Europe.
One, the Cobalt is selling well here in the US, and the factory is working hard to make them.
Two, the engine plant isnt ready for the 1.4T motor
Three, Chevy is moving very fast over in Europe, so it needs the cars NOW where in US NA cant wait a year. GM needs to keep feeding the fire in Europe, and with proven powertrains going inside, they should be moving off lots quickly...hopefully.

#32 ·
Half the reason why GM is doing so well is because they actually get decent product there in a timely fashion. If GMNA managed their product lines half as well as their European (and Chinese, and Middle Eastern, and Australian) counterparts, then they'd still be dominant in the market.

Instead, the other markets get product first, and then after they've had time to be "proven" (IE 2 or 3 years to get stale compared to Toyota or Honda) they get put out on the NA market, often with little or no concessions made to the NA market.

And then they wonder why stuff like the Astra (with no sedan availible, even though they took the trouble to design and sell one in Latin America, guess Latin America is a more important market now than NA) doesn't sell well. Huh, a 3 year old small car without an availible sedan, replacing a sedan, even though GM is ALREADY PRODUCING sedan Astras, doesn't do well?

People are impressed here by the quality of the Malibu, but Europe had essentially the same car in 2003. Now Europe has the Insignia on the Epsilon 2 and we'll have an Ep2 car in what, 2010 at the earliest for Buick only? And probably 2 or 3 years after that for a Chevy and Saturn version?

The Holden Commodore came out in 2006. Within a year Buick of China had a modified version as a park avenue, and Chevrolet had one out in the Middle East as a lumina . One year after that, North America finally gets the G8 in the middle of a gas crash. Meanwhile Buick and Chevrolet in North America still have large sedans that date back to the 90s.

Come on.

#34 ·
Oh not to mention all the GMT-900s. It's almost like GM gave NA all the cars that sell more like SUVs and trucks, sports cars, and even now are switching to giving us midsize and small cars first as demand increases. It's almost like GM gave Europe cars that sold better like compact cars because gas has been costing around $5-8 a gallon for a while. It's almost like GM knows what it's doing since very few people saw the gas or economic crisis coming in 2008.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.