GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9359DIG0.htm

General Motors Corp. said Friday it delivered a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle to the Environmental Protection Agency as part of a market test for the technology.

The EPA will use the fuel cell electric Chevy Equinox in its fleet for normal business in Washington, D.C., GM said. Electronic recording devices will record the zero-emission vehicle's performance data.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
i saw one of those fuel cell equinox last week here in alexandria va.

i think fuel cell has a better possibility than a all electric car to replace fossil fuel since an electric car still pollutes in the long run (coal for electricity and other forms of pollution from generating electricity) and will strain the electrical grid.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

i think fuel cell has a better possibility than a all electric car to replace fossil fuel since an electric car still pollutes in the long run (coal for electricity and other forms of pollution from generating electricity) and will strain the electrical grid.
hydrogen is made with electricity too.

of course a fuel cell can be quick-filled, unlike an EV, so it has an advantage there.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oh? What will the EPA do with it? They don't even know how to "test" a Volt.
yet another misleading headline.
The EPA is NOT going to be testing the car. They simply have it as part of GM's "Project Driveway" program which puts the fuel cell Equinox into real-world situations. Call it evaluating, not testing.

GM does its own TESTING when it comes to emissions & economy, NOT the EPA.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Does it bother anyone else as much as I that they put the Torrent's headlights on it and still call it an Equinox?

I mean it physically makes me agitated when I see this thing and they call it an Equinox.

·
Super Moderator
21,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yet another misleading headline.
The EPA is NOT going to be testing the car. They simply have it as part of GM's "Project Driveway" program which puts the fuel cell Equinox into real-world situations. Call it evaluating, not testing.

GM does its own TESTING when it comes to emissions & economy, NOT the EPA.
General Motors Corp. said Friday it delivered a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle to the Environmental Protection Agency as part of a market test for the technology.
I title the articles the same way they're written.

And I hate to break it to you, but the EPA definitely DOES test every vehicle for economy. That's why it's called the "EPA-estimated fuel economy."

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I title the articles the same way they're written.

And I hate to break it to you, but the EPA definitely DOES test every vehicle for economy. That's why it's called the "EPA-estimated fuel economy."
Wasn't accusing YOU of the misleading headline.

And I hate to break it to you, but the major automakers are self-certifying. The EPA does not test every vehicle for fuel economy any more than NHTSA does testing on every vehicle to make sure it meets FMVSS requirements.

·
Registered
340 Posts

First, as another member pointed out, Hydrogen does not exist in nature by itself. Energy has to be used to separate hydrogen atoms from the molecules they are so tightly bound to. In fact, it takes considerably more energy to make, compress and cool hydrogen and ultimately burn that hydrogen in a 50% efficient fuel cell to drive a mile than it would to simply charge a battery. Let me say this another way - the exact same amount of energy used to drive a mile on hydrogen would result in more than two miles from a plug-in electric vehicle such as the Volt. Any source of electricity can be used to recharge a PHEV including solar, nuclear, wind, geothermal or even clean coal plants - so it does not have to be carbon producing.

Maybe even more importantly, the infrastructure needed to make hydrogen fuel cells viable for widespread transportation is at least 10-15 years away and would require ten's to hundreds of billions of dollars of investment in an infrastructure that does not exist at all today and is not needed for anything else today. I bring this up because the second part of your statement concerns the power grid.

The Department of Energy predicts that 85% of the passenger vehicles and light trucks in the United States could be re-charged during off-peak time (other that 2:00 pm - 9:00 pm) WITHOUT adding a singe wire or power generating plant to the grid. Off peak charging of plug-in electric vehicles will not be an issue until the number of vehicles exceed 85% of the existing vehicles.

At some point, many years down the road, we would need to improve the electric distribution system - but how is that a bad thing? We already rely completely on this existing infrastructure. We have already invested billions of dollars in it. Why would we even consider building a completely new, currently unnecessary infrastructure to support hydrogen when 78% of us could commute to and from work using ZERO oil in a Chevy Volt that is scheduled to reach production in likely less than two years? Hydrogen fuel cells are a diversion from the solution that is staring us in the face today.

PHEV's first, solar, wind, geothermal and bio-fuels next. Improvements in battery energy density and reductions in charging times will increase the percentage of people who could use ZERO oil to commute to and from work from today's 78% quickly to 80%, 85% and more. We should redirect the money and efforts being directed to hydrogen fuel cells to the real solution - Plug In Electric Vehicles.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts

And the fact that not all cars have an access to an outlet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
And the fact that not all cars have an access to an outlet.
No one solution is for everyone. If you can not figure out how to access a 110V outlet in the United States to save approximately $300 per month (assumes 40 miles per day) then simply continue to spend the extra $300 per month for the next 10 - 15 years until you are able to find hydrogen re-fueling stations across the united states.

Just because some people don't have a plug in their garage or apartment car port or park on the street - does not justify the rest of the country waiting 10 -15 years to become independent from Middle East oil. We need to pursue the most realistic and expedient solutions possible. We owe this to our fighting men and women in Iraq.......

1 - 20 of 73 Posts