GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM delivers first full-size hybrid pickup to Miami-Dade
By John Porretto, Associated Press

DETROIT — General Motors (GM) delivered the industry's first full-size hybrid-fuel pickup Monday to Miami-Dade County, Fla., one of 50 such vehicles expected to be added to the county's fleet.

The trucks feature a V-8 engine and four-speed automatic transmission coupled with hybrid technology that delivers 10% to 12% better fuel economy than GM's conventional half-ton pickups.

GM delivered the Chevrolet Silverado on Monday in Fort Lauderdale. Miami-Dade County plans to receive the rest of the extended-cab hybrid pickups later this month.

"We're looking forward to putting our new hybrid trucks on the road and on the job," said Miami-Dade County representative Olga Diaz.

The Silverado is considered a "mild" hybrid by industry standards. GM, the world's largest automaker, has said its advanced hybrids — those that can achieve a fuel-economy improvement of up to 35% — are not scheduled to be available until 2007.

That means GM will be roughly three years behind its biggest rival, Ford Motor (F), in offering a full-hybrid vehicle in the United States. Ford plans to begin selling a hybrid version of its Escape SUV this summer. Toyota's ™ luxury Lexus division is scheduled to begin selling a hybrid SUV later this year.

Hybrids draw power from two energy sources, typically a gasoline or diesel engine combined with an electric motor. The only versions now available in the United States are small cars made by Honda Motor (HMC) and Toyota, but nearly every automaker is investing in hybrid technology.

In addition to improvements in fuel economy and emissions, GM's first hybrid pickups — the Silverado and the GMC Sierra — feature four 120-volt, 20 amp electrical auxiliary power outlets under the rear seat of the cab and in the pickup bed.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
68 Posts
Seems like a lot of work for 1 - 2 miles per gallon, but it is a step in the right direction. Can you combine this with Displacement on Demand?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The article said that GM is three years behind Ford. I don't really think that's true.

#1. Ford is using Toy's technology.

#2. He compared a mid-size SUV to a Full-size truck.

I'd consider GM to be much farther along than "the best-selling pick-up".

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by AmericanREV@May 3 2004, 07:20 PM
The article said that GM is three years behind Ford.  I don't really think that's true. 

#1.  Ford is using Toy's technology. 

#2.  He compared a mid-size SUV to a Full-size truck.

I'd consider GM to be much farther along than "the best-selling pick-up".

Am I wrong?
i agree with you REV. i think GM is farther ahead by using its own technology on the a FULL SIZE vehicle. even thought they call it a mild hybrid 10%-12% in saving fuel is a big number for a truck or any vehicle for that matter

·
Registered
169 Posts
the added torque and the power availble at the jobsite are not found on any hybrid. I like it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well these guys drive there trucks a lot, and most of the time the gas price can be written off as a job expense and with this truck being part generator, its now an extra tool and even a better write off. The extra 1-3 mpg will really start to build up.
Will this car get the 2k "green" tax incentive on it like the Prius? If thats the case, that should cancel out the fact that the hybrid/generator is a 2k option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've driven one of these hybrid trucks and they drive much the same as
any gm of chevy truck with only a few diferences

the engine shuts down on decel under about 18km/h it's completely unnoticable
unless your watching the tac.

the engine stay off untill your foot releases the brake pedal.
the engine starts very quickly and quietly.

on decel above 18km/h the transmission is in engine braking to drive the generator to charge the three 14v batteries

one bonus of the hybrid is how extremely quiet it runs.

another benifit is the 2 115v plugs in the bed that can surely be used on the jobsite.

it's an interesting truck that sure gathered a crowd when the first one rolled in the shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.