GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought this was worth posting. I hope that this helps GM achieve better margins on the next Aveo instead of importing them from South Korea (I know the article says it's for Latin American consumption, but would think we could get production for Canada and the US as well, no?).

SOURCE: AutoNews.com

GM dedicates Mexico complex that will build Aveo

Stephen Downer
Automotive News
July 30, 2008 - 11:51 am ET

SAN LUIS POTOSI, Mexico -- General Motors today dedicated its new $1.03 billion manufacturing complex here, as it begins assembling Chevrolet Aveo compact cars for Latin America.

The 855-acre site, 260 miles northwest of Mexico City, can produce as many as 30 vehicles an hour, Kevin Williams, president of GM Mexico, said in a speech.

A GM press release in Spanish said San Luis Potosi combines flexibility and versatility. Unlike others, "it can support (the assembly of) future products, when required."

The site also has a stamping plant equipped with the "most advanced manufacturing processes, technologically speaking," of any GM factory, according to the company.

GM will start manufacturing transmissions at the plant in the first half of 2009, Williams said.

The Aveos assembled here will be sold in Mexico and exported to South America.

3 versions

Fitted with a 1.6-liter engine, the San Luis Potosi Aveo comes in three versions -- two of them with a five-speed manual transmission and one with a four-speed automatic.

Williams, who spoke in Spanish, said the complex employs 2,500 workers. Its suppliers employ an additional 17,500 people.

He said about 80 companies from the state of San Luis Potosi already supply GM. A dozen more have moved into the region because of the new complex.

"Others are in the process of concluding negotiations with the local government. We're happy to contribute to the generation of jobs and the area's economic growth," Williams said.

San Luis Potosi straddles one of the main land routes between Mexico City and the United States, Williams pointed out.

He said both Mexico's federal and state governments had helped the project by improving the region's highways, bridges and railway lines.

Mexico President Felipe Calderon and Troy Clarke, president of GM North America, were among those at the ceremony.

Water recycled

In a statement, Clarke said the San Luis Potosi operation recycles 90 percent of the water it uses. The remaining 10 percent evaporates, meaning that no water from the complex enters San Luis Potosi's municipal drainage system.
MORE HERE

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
100,000 for N.A.
50,000 for Latin America

·
Registered
418 Posts
2500 people producing 30 cars per hour. I hope that's a misprint! That's terrible.
Fairfax, (for an example), is producing about 65 per hour with 2200 folks. That's including salaried!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Imagine if GM had invested that $1.03 billion in America and created 20,000 new jobs in Michigan. Oh well.

Of course it would have cost $5 billion to to the same in the US, and the UAW work rules would have precluded the majority of the advances that the Mexico site allows. But maybe in a "right to work" state.

·
Registered
734 Posts
2500 people producing 30 cars per hour. I hope that's a misprint! That's terrible.
Fairfax, (for an example), is producing about 65 per hour with 2200 folks. That's including salaried!

No Joke after like the 5th slowdown Moraine Assembly is going to be producing the GMT 360's at 50jph. I remember when we were going full speed 20 hours a day (2 shifts) 6 Days a week (3 crews) builing like 70jph. For the people that don't know, There is a whole lot more in making an SUV than there is in Aveo. Then again like the article says this is for the Latin American market and 150,000 units might not be enough for that market alone..... I am just saying.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Four speed transmission?
Four speed transmission?
Was this plant opening message sent from 1976?

Gas up the Delorean Marty, we're headed back in time to get a ground-breaking transmission design for the new Aveo.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
Im sorry but a fiesta laughs at the fit because it is so sad looking. and only one model. Fiesta has 3.
Hey...WHere can I buy Fiesta in Southern Cal? Oh..."Nowhere", you say? Right....Because it won't be here until 2010...Kinda like the Volt.

Why don't you take your ignorance on back to BlueOvalNews.com and hang with the rest of those sheep.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Hey...WHere can I buy Fiesta in Southern Cal? Oh..."Nowhere", you say? Right....Because it won't be here until 2010...Kinda like the Volt.

Why don't you take your ignorance on back to BlueOvalNews.com and hang with the rest of those sheep.
Quoted For Truth

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah but then you would have to pay someone a decent American wage instead of $25.00 a day.
Well, that $25 a day would be greatly appreciated in Mexico while the $75 (benefits included) an hour by a UAW worker would be laughed at and deemed "not enough" by a UAW worker. Why on God's green earth would GM ever build another factory in Michigan with these circumstances!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts