GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Good. Americans love their big vehicles!! LONG LIFE THE FULL-SIZE.. TO HELL WITH THE COMPACT!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I just hope this has nothing to do with the employee discount

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
The largest engine size available should be 1.4L.
In fact, the only engine size available should be 1.4L
This will solve the energy crisis.
Moped? 1.4L
Motorcycle? 1.4L
Segway? 1.4L
Walker? 1.4L
Semi-truck? 1.4L
Tugboat? 1.4L
Aircraft Carrier? 1.4L
Guided Cruise Missile? 1.4L
Space Shuttle? 1.4L

See how easy that is?

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Good. Americans love their big vehicles!! LONG LIFE THE FULL-SIZE.. TO HELL WITH THE COMPACT!
Down with European-inspired sameness!
Up with variety!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I was really thinking about a Trailblazer SS tonight. There's probably never going to be another vehicle like it. 12/16 ain't gonna cut it though.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It's kinda sad to see this era of big V8's coming to a close, Atleast I can say that I lived through the modern muscle car/truck age.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I was really thinking about a Trailblazer SS tonight. There's probably never going to be another vehicle like it. 12/16 ain't gonna cut it though.
For many people 16/24 won't cut it either. Though sales may be back up, there will be a very large number of buyers who are scared off fuel hogs for good. Suffice to say companies like GM won't be concentrating the majority of their development efforts on trucks ever again.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Ming's worst nightmare...
Just means it's more unlikely that I'll ever get my WagonR here in the States. :eek:

Whatever other people want to drive is fine with me. I just don't want to see GM addicted to the Devil's Candy of truck and SUV profits if gas spikes again, and again toss cars to the wayside in pursuit of the almighty Quarterly Earnings.

Besides, the Cruze is on the way, and unless Ricky-Bobby decide to replace the 1.4L turbo with a 2.2L, it should be many of the things I want out of a GM car for my commute (hyper fuel economy, techy engine, modern looks), but without the cool flexibility of this type of car: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f32/time-smaller-car-standard-64235/index4.html#post1453724 (No, the retro Groove / HHR with small windows look does not appeal to me).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
What do you think it has to do with? Americans enjoy 16MPG at $4 a gallon gas or is it the $10,000 off sticker?
Do we ever have a winner here!

I'd say stick by your more efficient vehicles, continue with the efforts to save gas. I wouldn't trust the decrease in gas prices to last, but to see them creep up slowly.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Do we ever have a winner here!

I'd say stick by your more efficient vehicles, continue with the efforts to save gas. I wouldn't trust the decrease in gas prices to last, but to see them creep up slowly.

I agree, oil market experts already licking their lips regarding oncoming hurricane Gustav.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The two most likely reasons for this resurgence in SUV and pickup truck demand is the recent dip in gas prices, along with GM's employee pricing program . Neither one of these factors will last long. Let's see what happens to the demand once gas prices again spike and GM's employee pricing program comes to an end.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I am not surprised, recently I have noticed a larger percentage of the reduced traffic volume in SoCal is made up of Pickup Trucks which leads me to think the rumors of Pickup trucks demise are overdone.

I can see more of a drop in car demand if commuters use public transportation or telecommuting in place of driving to work.

Pickup truck demand will rebound with the housing market and this should start within the next 12 months, full size SUV sales will drop mainly due to attractive alternatives like the GM Lambda line.

The Truck market is made up of a high percentage of buyers that use them to make a living or maintain a outdoor lifestyle of some kind, with the remainding percentage made up of "occasional" truck users who buy trucks as second or even third vehicles and use them enough as truck to justify owning them. There will always be a small percentage who buy trucks for image only and most of them may go elsewhere for their ego fix, but this is a very small number compared to the overall Truck market.

GM needs to maintain a focus on full size trucks, not a much as the past - but it must stay competitive.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I am not surprised, recently I have noticed a larger percentage of the reduced traffic volume in SoCal is made up of Pickup Trucks which leads me to think the rumors of Pickup trucks demise are overdone.

I can see more of a drop in car demand if commuters use public transportation or telecommuting in place of driving to work.

Pickup truck demand will rebound with the housing market and this should start within the next 12 months, full size SUV sales will drop mainly due to attractive alternatives like the GM Lambda line.

The Truck market is made up of a high percentage of buyers that use them to make a living or maintain a outdoor lifestyle of some kind, with the remainding percentage made up of "occasional" truck users who buy trucks as second or even third vehicles and use them enough as truck to justify owning them. There will always be a small percentage who buy trucks for image only and most of them may go elsewhere for their ego fix, but this is a very small number compared to the overall Truck market.

GM needs to maintain a focus on full size trucks, not a much as the past - but it must stay competitive.
The problem with the first part of what you have stated is its far from being based on anything scientific, Today I saw a few Hummer H1s does that mean that Hummer H1 sales have sky rocketed? ofcorse not.

No the truck and SUV market is not going to completely die off but its going to be reduced as gas prices will continue to increase in the long run.

Another flaw is that you have stated that the housing market will rebound in 12 months which we honestly do not know but the people that I know who are in the housing business says it will be bad for at least 24 months (2 years) if not longer.

Another flaw is that most truck buyers are those who make a living off of them, if that were true then truck sales would not be down nearly as much as they are. A large number of trucks owners are those who own houses so its possible that when the housing market recovers we will see a slight increase in truck sales.

however when the F series have fallen from its 900,000+ sales a year and the GMT-900s have drop so much from 1,000,000 a year this shows that you have a lot of non professionals who buy and own trucks. The F series will probably sell 600,000 this year if its lucky and the same can be said about the GMT-900s as well. they are offering huge incentives to provide a boost in sales which will come at the cost of profits (get ready for another big multi billion dollar loss.....).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts