GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As is typical with t-rex, much time is spent collecting otherwise worthless bits of information and compiling reports on them. Today I've decided to forego grading exams and play online. I took a little time to check out GM's dealer situation in my area, and see what could be done to cull some of them.

I've taken Southeastern Louisiana and profiled the dealers that fall within 50 miles of New Orleans, where I live. I'm quite familiar with this area, even its many car dealers, and I've broken it into three areas and wondered what could be done within them.

There are a total of twenty-eight GM dealers in this region, compared to eight Toyota and one Lexus dealer.

Greater New Orleans

This is the four-parish region consisting of heavily-populated Orleans and Jefferson parishes, adjacent St. Bernard, and rural Plaquemines, the latter two having no car dealerships. This region can be divided into three sub-regions. The mighty Mississip' acts as much as a pychological barrier as a physical one, so the West Bank is one region, and the East Bank can be divided into diverse New Orleans and homogenized suburban Jefferson.

There are nine GM dealers in this area. Three BPG, four Chevrolet, one Saturn, and a new Hummer-Cadillac dealership, which is actually owned by a consortium of the area's GM dealers, who bought Sewell's downtown NO Chevy-Caddy store and moved Caddy out to the 'burbs.

-New Orleans: Mossy Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-New Orleans: Banner Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Best Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Bryan Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Crown Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Jefferson Parish: Hummer-Cadillac of New Orleans
-Jefferson Parish: Saturn of New Orleans
-West Bank: Don Bohn Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-West Bank: Leson Chevrolet

I think each subregion should have a Chevrolet dealership, so either Best or Bryan should go. There could be two BPG dealers, one for each side of the river, so either Crown or Mossy would go. Mossy's a better dealership (GMCSonoma can attest to its excellence), but its cramped facilities are ancient and its in a questionable part of town. Crown's got a better location, in the suburbs, but just adjacent to New Orleans. I'd like to see Mossy take over Crown and build a new facility near Crown's (outdated) facilities.

Saturn and Hummer-Caddy are represented. So in greater New Orleans, we could easily lose one Chevy and one BPG outlet.

Riverland

This is Cajun country, consisting of the two "German Coast" parishes just upriver from New Orleans, rural Assumption parish, and the oilfield-dominated-economy of Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. The two major cities are LaPlace, just upriver, and Houma, down in Terrebonne parish. There's a dealership in LaPlace, just upriver from N.O., one in rural, impoverished Assumption Parish (which only has two traffic lights!), and the remaining down in Terrebonne-Lafourche, a solid middle-income area.

-LaPlace: Supreme Chevrolet-Pontiac
-Assumption Parish: Barbera Chevrolet
-Lafourche: Dantin Chevrolet
-Lafourche: Golden Motors Chevrolet-Buick-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Barker Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Geri LeBlanc Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Trapp Chevrolet-Cadillac

I have no idea how Barbera stays in business. It needs to go. Supreme could close because LaPlace is only 15 minutes from Jefferson Parish, and it's an old unattractive dealership.

Dantin's an old Mom&Pop dealership, and not an attractive one at all. Trapp Chevy slaughters them in sales and has a massive inventory. Geri LeBlanc or Barker BPG should close. I'd put money on the LeBlancs sticking around; the family own some of the state's most successful dealerships, including one of the few Lexus stores in the country bearing the owner's name.

One option is to replace one of the PBG stores with Saturn. Imports sell very well in this region and I think it needs a Saturn store. Barker BPG could become "Saturn of Terrebonne"!

I know the owner of Golden Motors reads GMI because I once got a scathing, not to mention rude, pvt message from him, slamming me for suggesting his dealership should close. Apparently he does a shocking volume for a dealer in such a remote area! Nevertheless, he should give up Buick and Pontiac. They only need one BPG dealer in that region.

So three dealers could close outright, with a BPG becoming Saturn, and Golden giving up Buick and Pontiac.

North Shore

These are the three easternmost of the "Florida" Parishes (so named because they were once part of Spanish Florida) just north of Lakes Pontchartrain and Maurepas. The areas along the lake are quite affluent, but poverty sets in fast and thick as one moves inland from the lake. The four major population centers are Hammond to the west, in Tangipahoa Parish, Bogulasa to the northeast, in rural, poverty-stricken Washington Parish, Covington-Mandeville and Slidell in St. Tammany parish, both quite affluent areas and popular with bedroom commuters. I've included Picayune and Waveland, Mississippi because of those town's proximity to the state line and they both fall in the 50 mile radius of New Orleans.

There are a staggering TWELVE GM dealers in this region.

Tangipahoa: Hood Chevrolet (in Amite)
Tangipahoa: Ross Downing Chevrolet (in Hammond)
Tangipahoa: Supreme Buick-GMC-Pontiac-Cadillac (in Hammond)
Washington: Mack Grubbs Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac (in Bogalusa)
Washington: Magee Chevrolet-Buick-Pontiac (in Franklinton)
Covington/Mandeville: Rainbow Buick-GMC-Pontiac
Covington/Mandeville: Hood Chevrolet Northlake
Slidell: Brian Harris Buick-GMC-Pontiac
Slidell: Robert Levis Chevrolet-Cadillac
Slidell: Saturn of Slidell
Mississippi: Derussy Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac (Waveland)
Mississippi: Mossy Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac-Cadillac (Picayune)

Half of these need to go. Three Chevrolet, two BPG, and a Saturn could easiliy serve this region. Ross Downing specializes in Corvettes and has a very good reputation. Robert Levis has a decent rep, the rest are forgettable. There should be NO Cadillac dealers there; let Caddy customers drive to New Orleans. Saturn of Slidell (which I think Robert Levis owns) could pick up a Saab franchise, and serve both New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast regions.

I wouldn't speculate which of these should go and which would remain, but my hatred of Brian Harris (because his atrociously rude and snotty staff at his BMW store) means I'd like to see not only his dealership close, but him personally jettisoned into the vacuum of outer space.

Offhand for Chevrolet, I'd suggest Ross Downing for Hammond, Mack Grubbs for Bogulasa, and Robert Levis for Slidell. Theoretically if there is to be only one BPG store on the Northshore, Covington is more centrally located, but Rainbow has weak visibility. Maybe Mossy could consolidate its New Orleans and Picayune stores in Covington, and let Crown keep the BPG for New Orleans. If two BPG stores are needed for the Northshore, they're better off having one in Hammond and one in Slidell.

So ultimately for this region, this region would be cut from twelve to five or six GM stores, with one picking up Saab, and several losing other brands.

Conclusion

This is just observation and conjecture on my part, and in no way any sort of suggestion. I have no idea whatsoever what sort of economics are involved here (maybe some small dinky dealers in fact do earn the most money) or even if such cutting is feasible.

But I did manage to cut twenty-eight dealers down to sixteen! Still a lot more than the nine Toyota-Lexus dealers in the same area, but a marked improvement.

So what's it like in your area? What are the socio-economic or even geographical factors that determine what dealers could be lost? How much overlap is there? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your local GM dealers?

I'm interested in hearing from others, mainly because I'm curious if my area is indicative of GM's situation elsewhere in the country.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
You gotta listen to anyone that survived Jeep-Renault!

Remember the Renault heater core recall? People were bringing them out of barns and wrecking yards!

Same thing here. Way too many dealers GM/Ford/Toyota. Honda is about right. No Lexus/Infinity though.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I will do a 30 mile range:

Toledo, first- and second-ring suburbs, and other cities within Metro Statistical Area:
Ballas Buick GMC - Toledo
Taylor Cadillac - Toledo
Brown Pontiac - Toledo
Saturn of Toledo - Toledo
Ed Schmidt Chevrolet - First-ring suburb
Dave White Chevrolet - First ring suburb
Dunn Chevrolet Buick - First ring suburb
Ed Schmidt Hummer - First ring suburb
Ed Schmidt Saab - First ring suburb
Yark Chevrolet Pontiac - Second-ring suburb
McNeill Chevy Pontiac Buick - Second ring suburb
Northtowne Chevrolet - Second ring suburb
Ralph Thayer Chevrolet - Other city
Eisenhour Motor Sales - Other city
Don's Automotive - Other City
Snyder Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC - Other city
Genoa Chevrolet - Other city
**** Wilson Pontiac Buick GMC - Other city
Knapp Motors - Other city

The count comes to 19.

For comparison, there are 13 Ford dealers and 5 Lincoln-Mercury dealers, 10 Chrysler, Dodge, and/or Jeep dealers, 4 Toyota-Scion dealers, and 4 Honda dealers.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Excellent analysis - I'd like to throw in an interesting idea. My guess is that most people prefer to get their new car serviced at the dealership. While I don't mind driving a half hour to the dealer to buy the car, I certainly don't want to drive that far for servicing. A dealer should be given a region to ensure sales success, but within this region they could have sattelite GM garages for servicing. Or all of the various GM dealers could pitch in together for shared servicing. In other words seperate the servicing from the dealer. Good idea or not?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent analysis - I'd like to throw in an interesting idea. My guess is that most people prefer to get their new car serviced at the dealership. While I don't mind driving a half hour to the dealer to buy the car, I certainly don't want to drive that far for servicing. A dealer should be given a region to ensure sales success, but within this region they could have sattelite GM garages for servicing. Or all of the various GM dealers could pitch in together for shared servicing. In other words seperate the servicing from the dealer. Good idea or not?
Excellent point, and not one that's easily ignored.

In a separate post I had suggested an idea to address this problem. Since many dealerships earn their keep primarily through used cars and service departments, GM could simply make many of the excess dealerships, especially those in remote towns and rural areas, authorized service centers.

GM could dust off those "OK" signs from precious, if not recent, memory and these excess dealerships would become "OK" used car and service centers, adding a retro touch of familiarity.

These would remain only in towns where there would no longer be a new car sales outlet. Rather than cull a massive amount of dealerships, which would still have to happen to some degree, they could simply change the role of the dealer, if not change the numbers of them drastically.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
As is typical with t-rex, much time is spent collecting otherwise worthless bits of information and compiling reports on them. Today I've decided to forego grading exams and play online. I took a little time to check out GM's dealer situation in my area, and see what could be done to cull some of them.

I've taken Southeastern Louisiana and profiled the dealers that fall within 50 miles of New Orleans, where I live. I'm quite familiar with this area, even its many car dealers, and I've broken it into three areas and wondered what could be done within them.

There are a total of twenty-eight GM dealers in this region, compared to eight Toyota and one Lexus dealer.

Greater New Orleans

This is the four-parish region consisting of heavily-populated Orleans and Jefferson parishes, adjacent St. Bernard, and rural Plaquemines, the latter two having no car dealerships. This region can be divided into three sub-regions. The mighty Mississip' acts as much as a pychological barrier as a physical one, so the West Bank is one region, and the East Bank can be divided into diverse New Orleans and homogenized suburban Jefferson.

There are nine GM dealers in this area. Three BPG, four Chevrolet, one Saturn, and a new Hummer-Cadillac dealership, which is actually owned by a consortium of the area's GM dealers, who bought Sewell's downtown NO Chevy-Caddy store and moved Caddy out to the 'burbs.

-New Orleans: Mossy Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-New Orleans: Banner Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Best Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Bryan Chevrolet
-Jefferson Parish: Crown Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Jefferson Parish: Hummer-Cadillac of New Orleans
-Jefferson Parish: Saturn of New Orleans
-West Bank: Don Bohn Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-West Bank: Leson Chevrolet

I think each subregion should have a Chevrolet dealership, so either Best or Bryan should go. There could be two BPG dealers, one for each side of the river, so either Crown or Mossy would go. Mossy's a better dealership (GMCSonoma can attest to its excellence), but its cramped facilities are ancient and its in a questionable part of town. Crown's got a better location, in the suburbs, but just adjacent to New Orleans. I'd like to see Mossy take over Crown and build a new facility near Crown's (outdated) facilities.

Saturn and Hummer-Caddy are represented. So in greater New Orleans, we could easily lose one Chevy and one BPG outlet.

Riverland

This is Cajun country, consisting of the two "German Coast" parishes just upriver from New Orleans, rural Assumption parish, and the oilfield-dominated-economy of Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. The two major cities are LaPlace, just upriver, and Houma, down in Terrebonne parish. There's a dealership in LaPlace, just upriver from N.O., one in rural, impoverished Assumption Parish (which only has two traffic lights!), and the remaining down in Terrebonne-Lafourche, a solid middle-income area.

-LaPlace: Supreme Chevrolet-Pontiac
-Assumption Parish: Barbera Chevrolet
-Lafourche: Dantin Chevrolet
-Lafourche: Golden Motors Chevrolet-Buick-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Barker Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Geri LeBlanc Buick-GMC-Pontiac
-Terrebonne: Trapp Chevrolet-Cadillac

I have no idea how Barbera stays in business. It needs to go. Supreme could close because LaPlace is only 15 minutes from Jefferson Parish, and it's an old unattractive dealership.

Dantin's an old Mom&Pop dealership, and not an attractive one at all. Trapp Chevy slaughters them in sales and has a massive inventory. Geri LeBlanc or Barker BPG should close. I'd put money on the LeBlancs sticking around; the family own some of the state's most successful dealerships, including one of the few Lexus stores in the country bearing the owner's name.

One option is to replace one of the PBG stores with Saturn. Imports sell very well in this region and I think it needs a Saturn store. Barker BPG could become "Saturn of Terrebonne"!

I know the owner of Golden Motors reads GMI because I once got a scathing, not to mention rude, pvt message from him, slamming me for suggesting his dealership should close. Apparently he does a shocking volume for a dealer in such a remote area! Nevertheless, he should give up Buick and Pontiac. They only need one BPG dealer in that region.

So three dealers could close outright, with a BPG becoming Saturn, and Golden giving up Buick and Pontiac.

North Shore

These are the three easternmost of the "Florida" Parishes (so named because they were once part of Spanish Florida) just north of Lakes Pontchartrain and Maurepas. The areas along the lake are quite affluent, but poverty sets in fast and thick as one moves inland from the lake. The four major population centers are Hammond to the west, in Tangipahoa Parish, Bogulasa to the northeast, in rural, poverty-stricken Washington Parish, Covington-Mandeville and Slidell in St. Tammany parish, both quite affluent areas and popular with bedroom commuters. I've included Picayune and Waveland, Mississippi because of those town's proximity to the state line and they both fall in the 50 mile radius of New Orleans.

There are a staggering TWELVE GM dealers in this region.

Tangipahoa: Hood Chevrolet (in Amite)
Tangipahoa: Ross Downing Chevrolet (in Hammond)
Tangipahoa: Supreme Buick-GMC-Pontiac-Cadillac (in Hammond)
Washington: Mack Grubbs Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac (in Bogalusa)
Washington: Magee Chevrolet-Buick-Pontiac (in Franklinton)
Covington/Mandeville: Rainbow Buick-GMC-Pontiac
Covington/Mandeville: Hood Chevrolet Northlake
Slidell: Brian Harris Buick-GMC-Pontiac
Slidell: Robert Levis Chevrolet-Cadillac
Slidell: Saturn of Slidell
Mississippi: Derussy Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac (Waveland)
Mississippi: Mossy Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Pontiac-Cadillac (Picayune)

Half of these need to go. Three Chevrolet, two BPG, and a Saturn could easiliy serve this region. Ross Downing specializes in Corvettes and has a very good reputation. Robert Levis has a decent rep, the rest are forgettable. There should be NO Cadillac dealers there; let Caddy customers drive to New Orleans. Saturn of Slidell (which I think Robert Levis owns) could pick up a Saab franchise, and serve both New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast regions.

I wouldn't speculate which of these should go and which would remain, but my hatred of Brian Harris (because his atrociously rude and snotty staff at his BMW store) means I'd like to see not only his dealership close, but him personally jettisoned into the vacuum of outer space.

Offhand for Chevrolet, I'd suggest Ross Downing for Hammond, Mack Grubbs for Bogulasa, and Robert Levis for Slidell. Theoretically if there is to be only one BPG store on the Northshore, Covington is more centrally located, but Rainbow has weak visibility. Maybe Mossy could consolidate its New Orleans and Picayune stores in Covington, and let Crown keep the BPG for New Orleans. If two BPG stores are needed for the Northshore, they're better off having one in Hammond and one in Slidell.

So ultimately for this region, this region would be cut from twelve to five or six GM stores, with one picking up Saab, and several losing other brands.

Conclusion

This is just observation and conjecture on my part, and in no way any sort of suggestion. I have no idea whatsoever what sort of economics are involved here (maybe some small dinky dealers in fact do earn the most money) or even if such cutting is feasible.

But I did manage to cut twenty-eight dealers down to sixteen! Still a lot more than the nine Toyota-Lexus dealers in the same area, but a marked improvement.

So what's it like in your area? What are the socio-economic or even geographical factors that determine what dealers could be lost? How much overlap is there? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your local GM dealers?

I'm interested in hearing from others, mainly because I'm curious if my area is indicative of GM's situation elsewhere in the country.
i live in metairie,and i love dantin in thidodeux. great service and friendly people.crowns also a favorite.not a fan of best tho. bryans pretty good too. i have no idea how barbera stay in buisness either,they never have more than 2o cars in stock. i love the new chevy buildings like levis and hood have.very attractive buildings.i have not noticed more cars on any lots than usual

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
In the Tampa area, there are six Chevy dealers but none close to my house. Thus, GM needs to open a new Chevy dealer in West Tampa and close one of the other ones (Tom Moore on Florida Ave).

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i live in metairie,and i love dantin in thidodeux. great service and friendly people.crowns also a favorite.not a fan of best tho. bryans pretty good too. i have no idea how barbera stay in buisness either,they never have more than 2o cars in stock. i love the new chevy buildings like levis and hood have.very attractive buildings.i have not noticed more cars on any lots than usual
After posting, I realized I failed to mention that while Trapp is a much bigger, and more attractive, dealership, Dantin has the better reputation. Half my Mama's side the family live in the Assumption-Terrebonne-Lafourche area, so I'm down there pretty often, and I'm always talking about GM, cars, and what not with my cousins, so much of my perception of that area is based solely on their assessment! One of my cousins feels about Trapp the way I feel about Brian Harris!

Wow, Barbera had 26 cars in stock? That's about 20 more than what appeared to be there last time I drove up to Donaldsonville! I just can't see the logic of having a dealership in such a dinky town like Napoleonville. But I guess it's like Cazenave Ford in Vacherie... been there 100 years!

My parents have used both Crown and Mossy to service their Rendezvous (bought from Mossy though) and both have given exemplary service. I however did have a rather nasty incident a while back with the sales staff at Crown, which left a bad taste in my mouth...

As for Best and Bryan... Bryan's been around a lot longer and I seem to see a lot more of their stickers on the backs of cars when I'm tooling around Jeff parish, and the Tahoeburbans I see here in my 'hood (I'm a block from Isidore Newman) all seem to come from Bryan, not Best or Banner. Banner seems to sell mostly Cobalts...

And yeah, the new Robert Levis dealership looks pretty good. Though like mgescuro, I strongly believe Cadillac should not sit on the showroom floor with any other brand, especially Chevrolet. I wish Sewell would have stuck it out. The place was old as dirt, but hey that's how we roll here! Sewell should have remained the only Caddy dealer for metro NOLA. I haven't been out to check the new Hummer-Caddy place on Vets yet, but if it's anything like the Saab-Hummer place in Baton Rouge, I ain't impressed...

As for non-GM dealers, so far I've had decent dealings with Peake BMW and Walker VW, where I bought my son's Jetta. After Katrina, we were up in Baton Rouge and had a nasty incident at the VW dealer there; so bad that criminal charges were filed...

Funny though, I take my BMW and my wife's Honda sometimes all the way to Moss Motors in Lafayette for servicing. The BMW blew its radiator once on I-10 outside Crowley when we were coming back from Houston, and it got taken to Moss, where they treated us like royalty, unlike Brian Harris in B.R., who treat you like vermin if you show up in anything less than a brand new M5 or 750i. I was so impressed with Moss that I sent two relatives to buy their new Mercedeses there, and if the mrs. and I buy an R-class like we're thinking, Moss will get our business. I've also dealt with Team Honda in B.R. and they've got a great service dept.

If you know anyone wanting a BMW or Mercedes, recommend they take the trip out to Lafayette. Moss will beat most B.R. and N.O. prices, especially on BMWs, and they really treat their customers far better than Peake or MB of NOLA.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
After posting, I realized I failed to mention that while Trapp is a much bigger, and more attractive, dealership, Dantin has the better reputation. Half my Mama's side the family live in the Assumption-Terrebonne-Lafourche area, so I'm down there pretty often, and I'm always talking about GM, cars, and what not with my cousins, so much of my perception of that area is based solely on their assessment! One of my cousins feels about Trapp the way I feel about Brian Harris!

Wow, Barbera had 26 cars in stock? That's about 20 more than what appeared to be there last time I drove up to Donaldsonville! I just can't see the logic of having a dealership in such a dinky town like Napoleonville. But I guess it's like Cazenave Ford in Vacherie... been there 100 years!

My parents have used both Crown and Mossy to service their Rendezvous (bought from Mossy though) and both have given exemplary service. I however did have a rather nasty incident a while back with the sales staff at Crown, which left a bad taste in my mouth...

As for Best and Bryan... Bryan's been around a lot longer and I seem to see a lot more of their stickers on the backs of cars when I'm tooling around Jeff parish, and the Tahoeburbans I see here in my 'hood (I'm a block from Isidore Newman) all seem to come from Bryan, not Best or Banner. Banner seems to sell mostly Cobalts...

And yeah, the new Robert Levis dealership looks pretty good. Though like mgescuro, I strongly believe Cadillac should not sit on the showroom floor with any other brand, especially Chevrolet. I wish Sewell would have stuck it out. The place was old as dirt, but hey that's how we roll here! Sewell should have remained the only Caddy dealer for metro NOLA. I haven't been out to check the new Hummer-Caddy place on Vets yet, but if it's anything like the Saab-Hummer place in Baton Rouge, I ain't impressed...

As for non-GM dealers, so far I've had decent dealings with Peake BMW and Walker VW, where I bought my son's Jetta. After Katrina, we were up in Baton Rouge and had a nasty incident at the VW dealer there; so bad that criminal charges were filed...

Funny though, I take my BMW and my wife's Honda sometimes all the way to Moss Motors in Lafayette for servicing. The BMW blew its radiator once on I-10 outside Crowley when we were coming back from Houston, and it got taken to Moss, where they treated us like royalty, unlike Brian Harris in B.R., who treat you like vermin if you show up in anything less than a brand new M5 or 750i. I was so impressed with Moss that I sent two relatives to buy their new Mercedeses there, and if the mrs. and I buy an R-class like we're thinking, Moss will get our business. I've also dealt with Team Honda in B.R. and they've got a great service dept.

If you know anyone wanting a BMW or Mercedes, recommend they take the trip out to Lafayette. Moss will beat most B.R. and N.O. prices, especially on BMWs, and they really treat their customers far better than Peake or MB of NOLA.
id love to hear about the v.w. dealer in b.r.! as for crown-i cant beilive you had a bad experience! ive never heard anything bad about crown and have never had a bad experience with them,guess it depends on the slaemen.banner sells more than best i think,best just has crappy salespeople.i also like gerry lane in b.r.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I work for a small dealer is north Florida. We have haven't had a 2007 model since March. We are sold out of 4x4 crew Silverado's and just about out of 2wd. As it stands we have about 92 units on the lot. We have passed our objective for the month wow 8 new units. This time last year we sold 40 its been dead no shoppers and we cant locate any used vehicles to buy for our used lot. It doesn't look like a merry Christmas for our store any time soon.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I work for a small dealer is north Florida. We have haven't had a 2007 model since March. We are sold out of 4x4 crew Silverado's and just about out of 2wd. As it stands we have about 92 units on the lot. We have passed our objective for the month wow 8 new units. This time last year we sold 40 its been dead no shoppers and we cant locate any used vehicles to buy for our used lot. It doesn't look like a merry Christmas for our store any time soon.
40 to 8? Wow I feel really bad for you guys. It's so easy to forget the human element, that is, the many who would lose jobs if a dealership closes.

Collapsing banks. Car sales in the toilet. Homes losing value by the minute. I had one of my students worried she couldn't get a private loan to pay her tuition because something like 5 of the 8 major private loan underwriters went out of the student loan business within days of one another. This evening I was talking with a cousin who lives out in a small town and went shopping at Wal-Mart and felt "creepy" because there was no meat, no dairy, no perishables at all in a store that was stocked full just a few days ago...

I'm just praying to G-d we're not on the verge of some apocalypse...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
A long time Chevy/Pont./GMC/Buick dealer here in Fulton NY (near Syracuse NY) Palmers GM store was sold out to another lone buyer/owner and renamed Laquas 481 GM store almost 3 years ago. They went bust in 2 years!
It was taken over by another single owner and suddenly closed a few weeks ago.
They lasted almost a year.................

We have had 5 Ford dealers go bust in the last year in the Syracuse NY area and only 1 GM dealer so far.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Both Chevy and Toyota sold a million cars in the USA last year. Toyota has 1400 stores nationwide and Chevy has 4400. do the math as to which dealerships are more profitable. In the areas of Maine to Virginia, the northeast, GM is shuttering 100 stores this year and 200 last year......and that's just a start.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts