·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Confirms Chevrolet's Electric Volt For Oz

James Stanford
25 March 2008
www.goauto.com.au

General Motors global product vice-president Bob Lutz has confirmed the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid car will be sold in Australia.

The vehicle that Mr Lutz describes as a “Prius-buster” will be introduced in the US in 2010, with Australia set to commence sales one or two years later.

“It is being engineered in right-hand drive, left-hand drive and is being developed to meet all safety standards, pedestrian-protection requirements, exterior and interior protrusion – in other words, worldwide requirements are being taken into account, so it will, I’m sure, be sold in Australia,” Mr Lutz said.

“Initially the production is going to be pretty low as we ramp up and make sure the battery suppliers can follow us with the volume etc, but at a very early stage we want to get to 60,000 a year, and then it’s ‘you name it’.”

California will be the first US state that will receive the Volt because its government requires car-makers to build a certain number of electric vehicles each year.

Click here to continue article

Toyota Sticks To Hybrid Script

James Stanford
25 March 2008
www.goauto.com.au

Toyota Australia Technical Centre vice-president Max Gillard has called on the federal and state governments to clarify their positions on supporting hybrid technology as the company considers building a petrol-electric Camry at its Altona plant in Victoria.

The Australian federal government and Victorian state government have been lobbying Toyota Motor Corporation executives in Japan to award its Australian operation a hybrid production project, and are believed to have offered significant financial support in order to achieve that outcome.

However, Mr Gillard has told GoAuto that both tiers of government need to do more when it comes to incentives for purchasing hybrid vehicles, especially those made in Australia.

“I suppose the issue at the moment is that the governments, both state and federal, really haven’t made their position clear in regards to hybrid,” Mr Gillard said.

He said there were currently no formal incentives to purchase a hybrid vehicle on offer from any government in Australia, except for a promised stamp duty refund in Queensland that was yet to materialise.

Click here to continue article

Chevrolet Volt concept

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
So this "Prius Buster" is coming in just two short years? I hope it will come sooner, because I'm sick and tired of seeing nerdy white people driving around in these things thinking we're doing the environment a favor by not consuming gas that much.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Ive always been the type how felt that hybrids did not make that much sense from an economic stand point. The only thing that they have going for them is as they develop the technology and produce them in higher numbers they will get better and cheaper. At some point in time they will make sense but still to this day they don't make much sense.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So would it be badged as the Holden Volt or Chevy Volt? Since I believe I heard the Camaro will be sold in Australia, I'm assuming that will be a Chevy, but that's sort of a different situation.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
So would it be badged as the Holden Volt or Chevy Volt? Since I believe I heard the Camaro will be sold in Australia, I'm assuming that will be a Chevy, but that's sort of a different situation
It would be the Chevy Camaro...hopefully not with a 2 litre engine. I think the whole "Prestige Group"here made need being revaluated or better still got rid off as it is not doing so well.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I think that is a little premature ^^^ as the line up for the future is reasonably strong. If you close your eyes and cross your fingers:

CTS with a probable Diesel to get credit with Oz Euro wannabes,
Hummer with diesel in the near future,
Saab in all its renewed glory (2+ years),
Camaro though probably only high spec donks to match its likely high spec price ( A sure fire winner as it actually still has aspirational influence on folks such as myself),
Chevy Volt with all its high falutin tech and politically correct green credit.
did I forget anything?

All the featured vehicles of the potential Premium dealer create a wonderland of varied design themes, applications and attitudes. The antidote to a Holdin [sic] yard that is littered with a multitude similar cars in varying hues and specs, tailored to not offend and only induce wide eyed passion in fanboys like ourselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts