GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know i know, GM is a bit short on cash, but still.

I have many many ideas for this merger. One of those is one of the wildest. Its okay if Dodge and Pontiac will be the performance division. This could move Pontiac up, where it should belong, and deal with only super performance vehicles, where the low end would be a 2seater mid engine sporty thing. This could bring a new fresh air. Something like Tesla. I seriously think GM might move towards a high performance version of the E100 technology, and push it even further. We all know the performance is good because of the high octane number (115 or something like that).
The ultimate performace division. Of course Chevy would keep Corvette and Camaro, but the top dog would be a Pontiac, a Pontiac Banshee. Also known as Cadillac Cien. But that taken more to the cutting edge.

Since RR is making a profit(43%+) , Porsche does , Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston is resurrecting the Lagonda, this is a walkable path. Pontiac could lead GM into a new era, forget about the entire current line up, keep only Solstice maybe, and the rest either rebadge into something else, or just ditch it.

I see in every opportunity a new possibility of revolution. And this is an opportunity. GM has good products in the pipeline, but with the new Chrysler design it could breathe a fresh air in the automotive world.

Chevrolet - keep it as it is. Hybrids and other alternative fueled(E85) vehicles. Top of the range Corvette.

Chrysler - could be some sort of Aston Martin - with classy design
(new 300M, Firepower)

Buick - might be in a niche luxurious segment.

Cadillac - High end luxury brand. Move it a bit towards Rolls Royce territory. Keep CTS as entry level, but expand the line up with a Sixteen-like flagship. And on top of it the Cien! Keep it as it is.

GMC- 4x4s, trucks, hybrid pickups (hydrogen)

Dodge - performance oriented.

Pontiac - extreme performance profile. (something like Ferrari)

SAAB - go against Lexus (bio fuel)

Saturn - Opels, Holdens

Jeep - no comment. Create stuff like the last concept they showed - that green thing. But design a good looking Grand Cherokee for cry out loud. I mean to be world class (against BMW X5, X3, X2)

Hummer - ? open to all ideas:) But if it is kept it should have a style of its own, and use some alternative fuel (electric, hydrogen)

ideas? anyone?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Redesign Chrysler and Dodge as reskins of existing GM products. Pare Jeep down to the Wranger Range and Grand Cherokee. Merge all dealers into Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler.

Merge Opel-Saturn into a single corporate entity. Have Saturn sell small cars only.

GMC sells work trucks and Denalis only. Pontiacs essentially become reskinned and sported-up Chevrolets... and I mean actually sported up. Buick does the same, only with luxury, ala Lexus ES and RX.

Cadillac becomes a unique corporate entity with unique product development.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dodge gets split between Chevy and Pontiac Caliber to Potiac to replace Vibe, Challenger to be GTO, Journey as Torrent, Chevy gets Charger to replace (or supplement) Impala, Grand Caravan to replace Uplander, Avenger, Nitro, Durango get dropped, Trucks get shoe-horned in somewhere...... Jeep folds seamlessly into Hummer, drop Compass and Commander. Chrysler drops Aspen and Sebring Sedan and becomes integrates into Buick. Town & Country might become a Saturn instead of a Buick......

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
1. Chevy - as is with the exception of adding a minivan (from chrysler)
2. Pontiac-Dodge- solstice, new G6, G8, New charger, Challenger
3.Saturn-Saab- Use Saturn as entry level European luxury like VW and make Saab like Audi.
4.Jeep- replaces GMC
5.Buick- Lexus fighter continues on its path
6. Chrysler- Mercedes Benz fighter move upscale and use mixed architecture to combat MB
7. Cadilac - continue adding models that counter BMW continue fighting the bavarians.
8. Hummer- Move upscale with a complete redesign to fight land rover, if not there is no need and they should be sold.

I believe that this balances out the model lines and each can combat and thrive if positioned correctly. in this way Chevy is the main brand. Ponti-dodge become the rear wheel exciting affordable brand. Saturn as opels will directly compete with VW and Saab redesigned and moved upscale in the same dealers will be a FWD/AWD Audi competitor. Jeep replaces GMC which is nothing but a redundant brand and u replace Cherokee with Acadia. Buick continues as lexus fighter gets a small rwd car to go against is, coupled with new lacrosse and upcoming lucerne replacement with the enclave a great competitor to lexus. Chrysler can be moved above Buick with an assortment of RWD cars to go after Mercedes in that vain of design and line up. Caddy continues to fight BMW we are recieving a 3 series fighter we have a 5 series fighter we are gonna get a 7 series fighter and a new SRX and escalade. The only way to save Hummer would be to move it completely upscale versus Land rover. This would not only make the brand viable but the profit margins would offset the small cars minimal profits. Let me know what you guys think!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Blair, you can't kill the Jeep name no matter how much GM bought Hummer for.
I never said kill the Jeep name......I just said fold them into Hummer... there would be a turf war as to the naming structure but non-the-less it would merge to be a full line off-road brand that would be more powerful then the two seperate <evil grin>

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I never said kill the Jeep name......I just said fold them into Hummer... there would be a turf war as to the naming structure but non-the-less it would merge to be a full line off-road brand that would be more powerful then the two seperate <evil grin>
Jeep should be everyman's off road brute and Hummer should fight Land Rover as mentioned above. If they get folded into GM one will die though and the brand name that survives will get watered down with the other's products.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Merged GM and Chrysler in the US should be:

Chevrolet
Pontiac (best of Pontiac and Dodge Performance cars)
Buick (best of Chrysler and Saturn)
Jeep
Caddy
And maybe GMC as a Commercial Truck division...

Gone would be Saab, Hummer, Saturn (all of which are a lower number of GM dealers so less to buy out) and Chrysler/Dodge, w/ depending on how you purchase the company assets, the dealers may be left in the cold w/ the exception of the ones you'd want to keep open.

JMO...only way GM and ChryCo can survive are to slash and burn (only reason I said to keep Pontiac and Buick nameplates, as well as GMC Commercial Trucks, would be to alleviate lawsuits...if lawsuits can be avoided w/ Chrysler/Dodge depending on how assets are purchased)...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
My idea is to not go through with it. GM has been looking to pare down brands. Now they want to takeover three more? Yes, I mean takeover. This is not a merger of equals. GM is the bigger operation and we know the Chryslers would get abosorbed into the GM's. That would need to happen, lest they have an even larger clusterfudge than such a takeover would already present by keeping the brands distinct.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

[SORRYABOUT SIZE, ITS NOT MY FAULT NO THUMBS]

If Chrysler was competing on the world stage we wouldn't be having this conversation. Same with Caddy lets get some of their concepts. Also the 4 door Wrangler concept is over 15 years old and they thought it would be a good idea at the death of the SUVS but it actually is selling well. Jeez people needed four door wranglers more than 15 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts