GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the new GM chassis and what cars utilize them? The only ones I heard are Sigma,sigma-lite, epsilon, and Delta.
GM is getting away from the letter designationsm, such as F-body, or Y-body, correct?
Just curious.

Matt

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by matto'85ta@Jan 6 2004, 10:09 PM
What are the new GM chassis and what cars utilize them? The only ones I heard are Sigma,sigma-lite, epsilon, and Delta.
GM is getting away from the letter designationsm, such as F-body, or Y-body, correct?
Just curious.

Matt
damn greeks....

hehe I think the vette is stilled called a Y body. There is still the W body. Fbody... moment of silence.

ok. I dont know why they stopped, I guess ever since Omega they have changed the designation. Dont forget Kappa and Lambda(mini van chassis I think?).

also, does anyone know when or where the sigma-lite's are? all we have is that turd of a car from Opel. Where is the simga-lite chassis relitive to prodution? Anyone know where the chassis is gunna be built?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Currently in use (a sample):

Gamma: Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Corsa, Buick Sail
Delta: Saturn Ion, Opel/Vauxhall Astra, upcoming Chevrolet Cobalt/Pontiac Pursuit
Kappa: upcoming Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Curve
Epsilon: Saab 9-3, Opel/Vauxhall Vectra, Chevrolet Malibu, upcoming Pontiac G6/Saturn
Sigma: Cadillac CTS, Cadillac SRX
Theta: Saturn Vue, Chevrolet Equinox/Pontiac/Suzuki
G-body: Buick LeSabre/Park Ave, Cadillac Seville/Deville, Pontiac Bonneville
J-body: Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire
M/L: Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari
N-body/P90: Chevrolet Classic, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am
S-body: Chevrolet Joy/Swing/Monza (eventually going to Gamma)
V-body: Holden RWD, Pontiac GTO
W-body/MS2000: Buick Century/Regal, Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix
Y-body: Corvette, Cadillac XLR
GMT325: Chevrolet S10/Blazer, GMC Jimmy
GMT355: Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, Hummer H3
GMT360: Buick Rainier, Chevrolet Trailblazer/EXT, GMC Envoy/XL, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, upcoming Saab 9-7X
GMT560: Chevrolet/GMC conventional medium-duty trucks
GMT600: Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana
GMT800: Chevrolet Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, GMC Sierra/Yukon/XL, Cadillac Escalade/EXT/ESV, Hummer H2
GMX110: Buick Terraza/Rendezvous, Chevrolet Venture/Uplander, Oldsmobile Silhouette, Pontiac Montana/Aztek, Saturn Relay

The SSR falls under the GMT360 platform.

Lambda's coming...although no names have been given to their products.

Am I missing any?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the difference between platforms and architectures?

Thanks for the info.

Also a moment of silence for the F-body.....

Matt

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by matto'85ta@Jan 7 2004, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info.

Also a moment of silence for the F-body.....

Matt
nothing, just different sayings.

and another moment of silence for nerds everywhere that get beat up by the football team... lambda lambda lambda forever.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by matto'85ta@Jan 7 2004, 04:59 PM
GM tries to make out architectures as being more global, but also more versatile. The word "modular" comes to mind? I think they are supposed to be able to use one architecture for many different types of vehicles, even more so than a platform.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle+Jan 8 2004, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr_Pringle @ Jan 8 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-matto'85ta@Jan 7 2004, 04:59 PM
GM tries to make out architectures as being more global, but also more versatile. The word "modular" comes to mind? I think they are supposed to be able to use one architecture for many different types of vehicles, even more so than a platform. [/b][/quote]
That's how I understand it as well. An architecture has modular sections that can be mixed and matched to make different cars (more variation in the geometry of the car than say the differences between the W-bodies (GP vs. Regal for example)

Also, wasn't the W-body also referred to as the GM10 platform back in it's early days?

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
The new STS is on the Sigma
THe Deville is on a modified G.
And there's a new Saab on the way on the Kappa.

Nice to finally get all the platforms in sync. :lol:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jan 7 2004, 03:43 PM
Aveo?
Aveo is on Daewoo's T-body platform. It replaced the previous T-body Lanos, which replaced the GM T-body (FWD) Daewoo Cielo, sold elsewhere as the Pontiac LeMans or Opel Kadette. All of which replaced the GM T-body (RWD) Chevrolet/Opel/Vauxhall/etc Chevette and Isuzu Gemini/I-Mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts