GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalc...s-lutzs-global-warming-comments/?mod=yahoo_hs

GM Chief Executive Rick Wagoner says he essentially regrets recent comments made by his product czar, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, regarding global warming. Mr. Lutz recently said he believes global warming is “a crock of s—.”

Mr. Wagoner, who typically strikes a non-confrontational posture, told reporters in Washington “the comments weren’t coming out of the company.”

GM CEO Wagoner cool on global-warming comments
When asked about Mr. Lutz’s opinion, the executive said he read the comments “with interest…I would have preferred to pass on the comment.” As for his own feelings on the issue, Mr. Wagoner believes “the data is pretty clear that the temperature on the earth is rising. It makes sense for us to put the business in a place where can respond productively.”

Mr. Wagoner said a speech he himself made a year and a half ago in Los Angeles is more reflective of the company’s position. “A lot of things need to be done to address CO2,” he said, and noted the company has been at the head of an industry-wide push to address the issue.

The CEO defended Mr. Lutz’s record, saying he is the clear leader of GM’s push to develop extended-range battery-powered hybrid vehicles, such as the Chevrolet Volt. GM is investing nearly $1 billion to make such a vehicle a production-ready reality by 2010. The Volt promises to be able to tackle a typical daily commute using very little gasoline — if any — thanks to highly-capable battery packs.

He said GM, for its part, is investing “a huge amount of money” in a portfolio of alternative fuel technologies, including hybrid-electric solutions, battery innovations, ethanol-fueled powertrains and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. He said the government needs to play a more constructive role in the effort to address America’s dependence on petroleum, but he acknowledged “we have a responsibility…we’re a big player in society.”

Mr. Wagoner said other industries need to step up and follow the auto industry’s mandate on cleaning up products and addressing energy security issues.

For Mr. Wagoner, who describes himself as a “free-markets guy,” the debate over energy is one of several regulatory wrestling matches he needs to conquer as he transitions to a somewhat wider-picture role at the auto maker he has run for eight years. Last week, Fritz Henderson was promoted to COO from CFO, freeing Mr. Wagoner to focus more intently on participating in lobbying efforts.

Even as Mr. Wagoner champions free-market capitalism, he is an ardent advocate for government intervention that will benefit GM.

Mr. Wagoner in the past has pointed to unfair trade policies, an insufficient energy policy, and monetary-policy tactics by Asian countries that have gone unchecked as reasons why GM is not as competetive as it used to be. During his session with reporters, he noted the company has done a lot to address its structural problems — including a move to lower annual pension and health-care costs from $7 billion annually to $1 billion annually in the near future — but the government hasn’t always stepped up to the plate.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Wagoner is missing both his gonads and spine - Putz is only lacking gonads.

There is NO EVIDENCE to PROVE that man is the SIGNIFICANT agent of change in the climate. There is still no evidence that the planet is warming - you can pick arbitrary points to prove global warming or cooling depending on your desire.

Wagoner needs to be fired first. It is no wonder GM is a mess. With people at the top like him, GM has no hope of recovery. There is no passion in GM vehicle design.

After seeing the new Shamaro in white (latest pics), the car is awful. Very cheaply made and very amateurish. This is an embarrassment - taken so long to get to the market and ending up looking a decade old already.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Brett Favre whimpering and bawling like a 4-year old, Rickster caving/backtracking on someone in the corporation actually having the cajones to utter an anti-PC comment in public...the emasculation of the American male continues on its happy way. :tdown:::bunny:

·
Registered
76 Posts
:lmao:Lutz is the Man!
I wish more people had the balls to stand up and say it like it is, You da man Bobby!

·
Registered
441 Posts
And that's EXACTLY why Bob is putting out the cool cars. You tell em Lutz!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Damn it Rick! I thought you would have the balls.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
His own position doesn't actually dispute Lutz's the way I read it... it's rather benign. Too bad he felt he had to express regret though.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wish more people had the balls to stand up and say it like it is, You da man Bobby!
Agree. If Wagoner truly didn't aggree with his comments, then why did it take him so long to put out this statement? Bunch of diplomatic bullsh*t. Trying to appease people who don't like someone having a different opinion than them. Funny thing is it is usually the same people that trumpet free speech and activism all in the same breath...Until someone has a different thought than them.

BULLSH*T. I know Lutz isn't sorry and that is because he is also passionate and feels he is right. That is his opinion, not someone elses. Just because a bunch of lefty activists want him to toe their line and nod his head to everything they spout out doesn't mean he should. So much for individual thought or opinion here...Sad. :(

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lutz is right Wagoner is wrong on Global Warming.:yup:

Lutz can get away with comments like that, since he's the just product development guy just executing the plan to meet government and corporate targets.

The strategy is set by Rick and the boys. Not to mention if Rick made a comment like Bob's, half the senators in the country would not meet with him.

The article also includes Rick's actual quote - he says, "...the data is pretty clear that the temperature on the earth is rising. It makes sense for us to put the business in a place where can respond productively.”

At no point does he say that Human caused "Global Warming" is real. He just says that the temperature is rising, which has been true for the last few decades. And he clearly outlines that GM is trying to do its part so that it can ask for "beneficial government intervention" - whatever the heck that is...

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Brett Favre whimpering and bawling like a 4-year old, Rickster caving/backtracking on someone in the corporation actually having the cajones to utter an anti-PC comment in public...the emasculation of the American male continues on its happy way.
Speak for yourself...mine are quite intact, thank you. :D I've seen thousands of 'pairs' hanging off the back of cars all over the place, perhaps we could send some to the Renaissance Center? Is it wrong to feel something?

·
Registered
257 Posts
again, its cool that lutz has balls but it aint about that.

its about what's good for the company. you GM sheep gotta realize that if lutz came out and said all his opinions they would lose business, right?

Mr Lutz whats your take on..the war, the election, liberals, conservatives, *** marriage, religion....you see what im sayin'? who ever disagrees with his opinion wont buy a GM, and Gm can use every sale right now.

If Ghosn had said that you guys would be calling him an idiot. it dont matter what these guys personal opinions are---just make desirable cars. thats it.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Agree. If Wagoner truly didn't aggree with his comments, then why did it take him so long to put out this statement?
This is quite simple this is because as a CEO Rick is TERRIBLE. If you agree, stand with your guy and defend him, If you don't stand up and say so... Rick, just hum's and ha's talks to his PR guy, sits in his office and looks out of the window and counts his money...

Then, as usual Rick just, stalls, issues a BS press release and goes back to what he does best... Dithering...

Rick, PLEASE pack your things and spend more time with your family...
Its time!

·
Registered
215 Posts
From a public relations perspective not a smart thing to say. That being said I agree with Lutz. Global warming is essentially a religion and the hysteria is ridiculous. Here in Colorado we have had the most snow in the mountains in over 7 years. In my home state of Maine they are having the fifth snowiest winter ON RECORD. I am a big skier and every resort all over the country is getting more snow than they have in a long time. I know, I know, Al, warmer temps can actually give you more snow. How about snow in Baghdad and record cold in China? It also just came out that the temperature actually dropped last year!
I want to protect the environment and I do my part. I am a country boy and I don't need some long hair in Birkenstocks from New Jersey preaching to me when they have never lived outside Newark. Gm is doing more than just about every other company in trying to offer alternatives. The problem is not my pickup truck. It is these people who drive SUV's they don't need because it's cool. A good example is a Mercedes or BMW SUV. NO UTILITY with less gas mileage than a GMC Sierra that is actually used by it's owner for good reasons.
Unfortunately Wagoner pretty much had to apologize for these comments or be branded as part of the problem.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bob Lutz is a fool, period. A "Man" would tell the truth, both to himself and the public. The truth is Lutz is not a climate scientist and has absolutely no qualifications on which to determine if the earth is warming. None. The "Car Czar" should stick to cars.

And Lutz should have learned long ago that when you say ridiculous things you open yourself to ridicule.

Next time Bob, tell the TRUTH. Reporter - "Is the earth warming?" Lutz - "I DON'T KNOW"

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Brett Favre whimpering and bawling like a 4-year old, Rickster caving/backtracking on someone in the corporation actually having the cajones to utter an anti-PC comment in public...the emasculation of the American male continues on its happy way. :tdown:::bunny:
Lam, either you're not a professional, you don't know what it means to be one, you don't care about acting professionally, or you're just trying to evoke a response and be witty...

but that is UNACCEPTABLE TO SAY ON THE RECORD OR IN PUBLIC FOR THAT MATTER AS A LEADER OF A COMPANY PARTICULARLY IN THIS DAY AND AGE WHEN PEOPLE HATE ON V8's!!!!:yup:

You can have your own personal opinions, but when you are a leader, it is inappropriate to be forthcoming about them, ESPECIALLY if they are in direct opposition to what your Company believes.

Not fair you say? Tough, thats life, deal with it.

Wagoner was smart to acknowledge this regret, irregardless of anyone's personal opinion.

CobaltSS

1 - 20 of 57 Posts