GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is fantastic that GM has an aggressive plan to increase BEV production.

As far as Tesla goes it is dumb to allocate battery cells for a $30k vehicle when you don't have enough cells to supply demand for Tesla BEVs in the $47k-$150k range.

It will take a long time before cell capacity outpaces demand from both automotive as well as battery energy storage. And it is fine to allocate cells for low margin entry level electric cars. What year that happens is unknowable.

You can brag about a $30k EV Equinox but as an investor I would rather they allocate more cells to $50k plus EV Silverados. As a citizen of the world it makes virtually no difference.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think GM will easily surpase Tesla. With Tesla, it mostly hype and that hype will disappear when Tesla get serious competition
Tesla has scaled faster than any heavy industry company in history. It is growing unit sales at over 40% per year. In 2011 Tesla delivered 700 cars. In 2021 it delivered 936k cars. In Q1 2022 it delivered 308k cars. Survey after survey shows Tesla has ~20% mindshare.

We all know the problem with EV's is price. Calling the Model 3 as premium is a joke. I'll put my money on GM.
Tesla interior materials are not premium. It has the most tech and computing power of any cars on the road. It has best acceleration and range figures in class. It has the highest crash safety scores in NHSTA's database.

You can battle over semantics but that is premium in my book.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts