GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
More guts than Roger B. Smith?
If General Motors were a country, it would have a GNP comparable to Albania. You may rest assured that its place on the GNP list would have been higher during Roger Smith's tenure at the helm during the 1980s. Neither Mary Barra nor Roger Smith had dictatorial powers. These are executives of public corporations. They carry-out the policies of their board of directors. This is not to say that they don't have to convince their board which policies to approve. The point is that these are not one-person decisions.

I believe that it is fair to ask questions about the success of a chairmanship. The buck stops at the top. Mary Barra was name CEO of GM after an international economic disaster followed by massive disruptions in the political and economic spaces. She is leading GM through massive technological changes that are reshaping the Globe's economic terrain. However, we are at best reaching the middle of these changes. Roger Smith took over GM following the beginning of economic upheaval characterized primarily by dramatic increases in the price of petroleum. This change dramatically widened the door for Japanese brands to exploit the North American and European markets.

Roger Smith has been called the last of GM's old time executives. However, he was significant in that he came from GM's finance side instead of the engineering side that had produced most of GM's previous top people. The test of a corporate leader is where the company ends up rather than where it starts. I am hard pressed to name any material change made during the Smith Era that is still with GM today. Mary Barra is female, but she gives me the impression that she is leading GM toward a reinterpretation of the GM of yore. As was the case of GM leaders of yore, she is a product of the engineering side of GM. The Smith Era saw horizontal integration into areas that the company has since divested. Barra is leading the company to vertically integrate supplemented by horizontal integration into markets that exploit the resources of developed as part of its vertical integration. BrightDrop comes to mind.

Force to make a choice between Roger Smith and Mary Barra, then it is Mary in a walk. However, the decisions made during the Smith Era then and the Barra Era now are corporate decisions. They have lots of peoples' fingerprints on them.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Normal folks are going to be forced to get on things like that horrid autonobus Cruise Origin. Driving for us normies will be a thing of the past.

There is an article floating around the internets talking about those perfect Swedish countries and their attempt to sway their people out of EVs and into EV autonobuses because the human operated EVs aren't "green" enough.

I feel that self driving autonobuses will become the ultimate form of Greenology in the future.
We have city buses, street cars, subways, elevated trains, cabs, Über, and Lyft now. Yet we have not been forced to ride any of them. Yet, we are going to be forced to ride on Cruise. Why are they waiting?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I know I know, "It just doesn't make sense", but yet we are being coaxed gently into EVs and self driving/driverless vehicles and transportation pods aren't we?

When I find the article I read, I'll post a link to it and you can make your own judgement.

Just remember, when you find yourself boiling next to Mr.Frog whom thought he was in for just a "nice warm bath" it will be too late. Those of us who are unfortunate enough to be in the pot boiling with Mr.Frog will be like crabs trying to get out. That's when they (our great and wonderful government officials) will be putting the lid on the pot while they're out there zooming around in the streets crashing their eleventy billion dollar hyper cars.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. Sometimes, you are just paranoid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts