GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Canada workers offered rich buyouts

7K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  JT87 
I am not sure what you consider a Buick in China, but that is the most successful brand there with last year beating an all time sales record for more than 1m vehicles sold by any manufacturer in China.
Vehicles in China have to be produced in China, or they face serious tariffs upon import. That is why you see companies such as GM and VW and what not creating massive joint ventures in China. Some other manufacturers create car 'kits' and ship them to China for final assembly. So far, it seems as though they are doing a good job defending their industries. Buicks made in China are not subjected to, say, the tariffs of importing Trailblazers and Corvettes into Japan.

What I think 99coupe is trying to get at is equality at the border. Every North American vehicle entering eastern Asian countries faces these tariffs. Nearly any foreignly built car entering North America (other than, I believe, trucks over 3.0L, I think?) comes here without tariffs. They are very closed when it comes to importing vehicles.

Now, I wouldn't suggest forcing every company to build every car sold here at a facility here, but it should be 'forcefully encouraged' to do so. Say, 1 of every 3 vehicles sold in Canada or the USA, one must be built (either for NA sale or export)? Otherwise face tariffs. That way, we should be able to keep our manufacturing sector a bit stronger.

The students (TPTs) are getting letters saying their wages are 'subject to change' in September. I imagine that means any future contract workers are in the same boat (?) Maybe this is how GM will get the $14/hour in Canada, as I don't imagine they will ever hire full-time when they now have unlimited use of temps.
Yes, we got letters about the change, word says anywhere from $14 to $17 an hour. From what my committee man had said, the company won't pay students a dollar more than new contract workers, no matter how long we have been employed for (I've been working there consistently for over a year, I know many students that have been there for at least 3 full school years, not just summers).

Future contract workers, new workers, everyone that is newly hired will have a wage within this range. From what I've heard at plants from the states, is that they are having a VERY hard time trying to hire people for ~$15 an hour, and they will have an equally hard time here. (what full time student would be willing to give up so much time out of their weekend and screw up their sleeping habits for $14 an hour, 3 days a week?)

What angers me about it is the way they are going about it all. I talked to someone at the union hall, and they said this wasn't in the agreement (another thing that was 'pulled' over our heads). Also, there is no confirmation as to the wage (I would rather be told its either a really low number or that I don't have a job, so I can tell my other work that I can work more). I haven't spoken to a student yet that said they would stay for such a wage (many drive in from 50+km, and the costs alone aren't worth it, never mind the time, weekend sacrifices, and inevitable lost homework time). Luckily for me, I already have another well paying job (not to mention fun, walking distance, and better and more flexible hours than working midnights at the plant).

I'm remaining hopeful, but as it stands, GM will lose at least 1 new sale from me.

I have 2 children that are fulltime students at Durham College and Ryerson that would gladly give up their minimum wage jobs at $9 per hour for a chance $14 per hour. There are not a large number of companies that pay more than that for part time.
One of my friends holds the 'stop/slow' sign and drives a pickup truck once in a while,for $14 an hour, another was an assistant manager at McDonald's for $13 an hour. I have many friends that do landscaping/interlock for $15-20 an hour. If I had a choice between working at a car plant for 15 or working landscaping for 15, I would GLADLY choose landscaping (I've done jobs ranging from cooking/catering, landscaping, retail, GM, bartending, serving, and pay being anywhere near equal, GM would be my lowest option). There are jobs out there that pay over $10 an hour, just keep your eyes open.

My suggestion to your kids would be to get some sort of job at a bar/restaurant as a server. You may only get $6-7 an hour (lower service wage) but how much you really make largely depends on how hard you work (I make more at my other job in 5 hours than I do in 8 hours at GM simply because of how hard I work). Plus, they tend to be much better jobs than the ones at a car plant. For the work you do at a car plant (especially for me, working midnights), it is a worth a lot more than the $85 net a shift ($15x8h, minus taxes, other deductions, union fee, car insurance/transportation), let alone the messed up sleeping habits, lost time for school, and an inability to take days off. I know students that drive from Kingston and London, etc, for work now, and they said they won't be coming back for $14. I even know people in Bowmanville and Whitby that say it's not worth it. However, if you believe your kids want to work there for $14 an hour, I'll gladly pick up a couple applications for you.

I heard the other day, that the GM warehouse in Woodstock, Ontario is hiring part time temps. It's a pleasant place to work and would be closer for anyone you know driving to Oshawa from the London/Kitchener area.

I don't know how they apply though. If they are already working at GM, perhaps they could ask their supervisor about a "transfer" to Woodstock.

The shifts would probably be afternoons from 8-12 pm or something. That is when they are the busiest filling dealer orders.

Hope this helps somebody....................
I believe the warehouse is outside of the CAW/production realm, so I don't think you can transfer out of a plant to a warehouse. However, I will indeed let some people in the K-W-G area, as well as the London area know. Doesn't do me any good though, being a full time engineering student, and 2-job worker in Oshawa! Most likely, to apply there, you would have to go to the site's main office, or keep an eye out on Workopolis.

That area (the 401 stretch from the 402 and 403) is going to boom big time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.