GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - General Motors Corp.'s advanced hybrid technology will be used on transit buses in the Seattle area beginning next month, eventually creating the nation's largest fleet of diesel-electric hybrid buses.

King County leaders were scheduled to take delivery of the first of 235 buses Thursday at Seahawks Stadium. The 60-foot mass-transit vehicles, which are more expensive than standard diesel buses, deliver up to 60 percent greater fuel economy and can reduce emissions by as much as 90 percent, GM said.

The new buses will account for about 15 percent of King County Metro Transit's 1,300-vehicle fleet. Sound Transit Regional Express also will use the new vehicles.

County transit officials say they expect the hybrid buses to save roughly 750,000 gallons of fuel a year.

"These buses save energy and are cleaner and quieter than conventional buses for the millions of people who ride our transit system," said King County Executive Ron Sims.

Hybrids draw power from two energy sources, typically a gas or diesel engine combined with an electric motor. One of the ways the buses conserve fuel is by storing electricity generated when they brake, then using that electricity as a power source when the bus leaves from a stop.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@May 27 2004, 11:03 AM

The 60-foot mass-transit vehicles, which are more expensive than standard diesel buses, deliver up to 60 percent greater fuel economy and can reduce emissions by as much as 90 percent, GM said.

County transit officials say they expect the hybrid buses to save roughly 750,000 gallons of fuel a year.

Full Story HERE
Now those are some impressive numbers. It seems to make much more sense to make hybrid buses than a hybrid car, at least initially. Buses pollute much more than any SUV on the market. I don't own an SUV nor am I pro- or anti- SUV, but think about how many buses operate in any major metropolis. Replacing diesel buses with hybrids would probably reduce fuel consumption and emissions much more effectively than dumping a couple of million hybrid cars into the market. It might not be as sexy from a marketing standpoint, but to me, it seems to make a lot of sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts