GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how closely related some GM cars are (reskins / platforms / engines / rebadging and combinations of all), how come some people are so loyal only to their brand?

Certain Pontiac buyers say they'll never buy a Chevy.
Buick buyers will never buy an Oldsmobile, etc...

What makes someone so brand loyal? Why hate one brand? It's all the same manufacturer.

With the demise of Oldsmobile, will all the Olds fanatics
1) switch to Caddy, Buick Chevy and/or Pontiac?
2) drive their last model Oldsmobile until death (theirs)
3) will they abandon GM altogether?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like Chevrolet. However - i see myself loyal to Chevrolet until they cannot fufill my demands.

Right not - that's not much. But they have an expansive portfoilo which i feel works well for 85% of the poulation (assuming EVERYONE bought a Chevy that fufilled there needs).

But since i'm not only loyal to Chevrolet - i'm also loyal to GM - and that includes EVERY BRAND. So on a whim - i could swing to another GM brand and i wouldn't feel one less bit loyal to any other GM brand.

I wouldn't cry if someone gave me a Pontiac Sunfire or an Oldsmobile Alero. I'd still drive it and still be loyal to GM. That = win/win.

But i will be shooting for a Cadillac later in life - as per the Sloan ladder. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
They'll probably be on the lookout for good condition used cars.

In spite of being a Pontiac fan, I haven't been impressed with anything they've been putting out there for years. So until they do, I'll just keep looking for older stuff that I like.

People who buy a new car every couple of years will probably just change brands, if the Olds people are still GM fans, they might pick another GM brand, if not, they'll probably make the switch to another brand.

·
Registered
750 Posts
While I would cross shop differernt brands, I have a partiality to Pontiac since I own one of their classics. Alot of Pontiac people became Pontiac people by driving/buying an actual pontiac car, back before firebirds were mearly Camaro clones, Back when the arrow head meant something.

But aside from that people like to identify with a brand, but I imagine there are MANY more people who arn't brand loyal.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Im not really brand loyal to one company, but to all of GM. If Chevy doesnt have what I want, then maybe Buick or Pontiac will, etc. I will shop GM before anywere else unless looking for a supercar, then its ferrari time. :D

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I am brand loyal to Pontiac--I plan on staying loyal to Pontiac in the future (or at least GM) because I can never see myself owning a Ford or import :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
For some it might simply be Dealer Loyalty.

For me it is Brand Preference. I prefer Pontiac, but will buy Chevy or GMC or whatever if the deal is much better or if Pontiac doesn't offer what I need.

Brand Preference clearly keeps Chevy Die-Hards from buying a Buick Century, for instance, rather than a Chevy sedan, even if the Buick has the highest quality scores.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Appears ,price,mpg and what my wife will determine the next car .As I picked the STS we have now.
quality of all the cars are about the same. I have had both good and bad GM's.
Daughter has a KIA for a year and no problems.
Either you get a good car or a lemon.
As for a truck , if the box stay the same and I can use my cap I will probaby stay with GM.
I have no loyaltiy to dealers or salemen anymore. Best peice does now

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Rex, Oldsmobile appeared to me as an 'import' fighter. That is what I thought about Olds. No old people. No pre-luxury. None of that mumbo jumbo, just an import fighter. Of course, that's what I thought about Eagle, Saturn, and Geo but obviously I wasn't right.

'Loyal' buyers are very Chevy-like. I know a few Chevy-die hard fans who have stayed with the automaker since they first could drive a car. Manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan who nab all the sales probably have a good, healthy fan base. Well, so do we. There is nothing to worry about. To show you we have so much loyal fans, the GMI member number is 10,216, and growing. A lot of other sites are Ford and GM loyal fan sites. Not Toyota, Honda, Nissan, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts