GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM has added a $1000 bonus on many of its 2008 vehicles until Wednesday 04/30.

Read the details - many of the incentives apply to GM owners only.

Note that the Pontiac G8 now has a $1000 owner loyalty incentive.

Some highlights:

Chevy Aveo: $ 2000*
Chevy Cobalt: $ 3000*
Chevy Impala: $4000*
Buick Lucerne: $4000*
Cadillac DTS: $6000*
Saturn Aura V6: $3500*
Pontiac G8: $1000*

*May include standard cash back, bonus cash back (until 04/30) and GM owner loyalty offer.

Standard Offers w/Bonus amount included in figures:
http://www.gm.com/shop/currentoffers/

Owner Loyalty Offer:
http://www.gm.com/shop/currentoffers/ownerloyalty/

·
Registered
699 Posts
All of these cars that are on this list (excluding g8) have horrible resale value. they are not class leading and they are heavy fleet cars. Ofcourse gm has to offer incentive to move them. Look at malibu. It is selling fast with not incentive. GM needs to learn from malibu and cts. When you offer very good cars, they do not need incentive to sell.

Look how bad cobalt and aveo are. With gas prices so high gm needs incentive to move them. That tells you everything. When did you see incentive on yaris or new corrola or civic or fit. Make a good car and people will buy it. Make crapy cars people will be turned away.

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of these cars that are on this list (excluding g8) have horrible resale value. they are not class leading and they are heavy fleet cars. Ofcourse gm has to offer incentive to move them. Look at malibu. It is selling fast with not incentive. GM needs to learn from malibu and cts. When you offer very good cars, they do not need incentive to sell.
Malibu has a $1000 cash back offer open to anyone that owns a vehicle.

CTS also has a $1000 owner loyalty offer.

I don't think it's the vehicles in question here as much as the desire for increased sales in a declining marketplace environment.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
All of these cars that are on this list (excluding g8) have horrible resale value.
Actually, the cobalt resale value isn't bad. It's not up to Civic levels, but neither are the transaction prices.
The Aura has been doing surprisingly well (in terms of resale value), but from what I hear the hot seller is the 4 cylinder, so it wouldn't surprise me if a little extra incentive is needed on the V6 Saturns (esp the 3.5L, which is getting phased out of the Epsilons).

The Buicks all have crummy resale, as does the Impala. The G6 is downright pathetic when it comes to resale value, but then again...it's a 4 speed auto bland mobile with a Pontiac badge.

The G8 needs some more advertising on television and internet.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Look how bad cobalt and aveo are. With gas prices so high gm needs incentive to move them. That tells you everything. When did you see incentive on yaris or new corrola or civic or fit. Make a good car and people will buy it. Make crapy cars people will be turned away.
Good thing you mentioned this, since I just was involved helping my good friend pick out a new car, as I was a dealer for 5 years, I help my friends out on occasion, and we compared head to head the Aveo and the Yaris.

I agree with making the best product possible, but where I disagree is the quality of the product, My friend Just bought the yaris. I got to drive the car, it's on par with the Aveo, not really better. the Toyota must have perception of quality on it's side because It's not as attractive as the aveo. but check your facts again we had a deal set up for him on a new one at invoice with a healthy Rebate, and even some factory to dealer cash. but he found one used with 2k on the clock much less, which he hopped on.

apples to apples it wound up being the same as the Aveo (within $300) price-wise with GM and Toyota rebates applied. and to be honest the Aveo gives you a little more car for the same money. but it's so close a simple matter of taste made up his mind (the Aveo had no coupe model, so he went toyota)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually, the cobalt resale value isn't bad. It's not up to Civic levels, but neither are the transaction prices.
The Aura has been doing surprisingly well (in terms of resale value), but from what I hear the hot seller is the 4 cylinder, so it wouldn't surprise me if a little extra incentive is needed on the V6 Saturns (esp the 3.5L, which is getting phased out of the Epsilons).

The Buicks all have crummy resale, as does the Impala. The G6 is downright pathetic when it comes to resale value, but then again...it's a 4 speed auto bland mobile with a Pontiac badge.

The G8 needs some more advertising on television and internet.
I believe it is a mistake to count out the 3.5L. It has very good NVH charcteristics in the AURA, with above average fuel economy for a V6 in a midsize sedan. It also has acceptable pickup in an AURA. I test drove the 4cyl and it was unacceptable for power. For the small price increase over the 4cyl it was an easy choice, especially with the included stability control.

The 3.6 is less reliable (consumer reports) and although it offers more power, it also has lower fuel economy. Why should one pay extra for power they don't need and sacrifice fuel economy. The 3.6 still needs some improvment before it is a competitive midsize V6.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
With all of the plant closing and Idlings, how can they offer incentives? It sounds like the American Axle strike is a blessing.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'm surprised there still isn't any incentives on the Colorado & Canyon. Both have over 100 days inventory and cost much more then a Silverado or Sierra.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am still a little surprised to see those rebates on the Cobalt and Aveo, especially with gas prices being so high. Also, I was looking at Impalas this weekend. They look great, have excellent gas mileage for a car that size, and they are very dependable. With 29 mpg, I'm surprised they have the rebates so high. Are these cars not selling?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I believe it is a mistake to count out the 3.5L. It has very good NVH charcteristics in the AURA, with above average fuel economy for a V6 in a midsize sedan. It also has acceptable pickup in an AURA. I test drove the 4cyl and it was unacceptable for power. For the small price increase over the 4cyl it was an easy choice, especially with the included stability control.

The 3.6 is less reliable (consumer reports) and although it offers more power, it also has lower fuel economy. Why should one pay extra for power they don't need and sacrifice fuel economy. The 3.6 still needs some improvment before it is a competitive midsize V6.
I completely agree. Why pay over $1000 more for .1 addition liter and much worse fuel economy even with the new 6 speed auto? I happily chose the very affordable 3.5L/4spd in my 08 G6.

·
Registered
197 Posts
GM has added a $1000 bonus on many of its 2008 vehicles until Wednesday 04/30.

Read the details - many of the incentives apply to GM owners only.

Note that the Pontiac G8 now has a $1000 owner loyalty incentive.

Some highlights:

Chevy Aveo: $ 2000*
Chevy Cobalt: $ 3000*
Chevy Impala: $4000*
Buick Lucerne: $4000*
Cadillac DTS: $6000*
Saturn Aura V6: $3500*
Pontiac G8: $1000*

*May include standard cash back, bonus cash back (until 04/30) and GM owner loyalty offer.

Standard Offers w/Bonus amount included in figures:
http://www.gm.com/shop/currentoffers/

Owner Loyalty Offer:
http://www.gm.com/shop/currentoffers/ownerloyalty/
The $1K GM Owner Loyalty has been inplace on the G8. Nothing new there.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I am still a little surprised to see those rebates on the Cobalt and Aveo, especially with gas prices being so high. Also, I was looking at Impalas this weekend. They look great, have excellent gas mileage for a car that size, and they are very dependable. With 29 mpg, I'm surprised they have the rebates so high. Are these cars not selling?
Looks are of course a matter of opinion, but I once hear the Impala described as looking like it was designed in the 1980's. I rented one and thought it was really a nice car for the money, but the Impala is a fleet queen.

The redesign can't get here soon enough.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hmmm...aren't all these models (save for the G8 and freshened Aveo HB) at the end of their runs?

Cobalt: 2010 redesign?
Lucerne: 2010 move to RWD?
DTS: 2010 move to RWD?
Impala: 2010 move to RWD (to compliment the new Camaro, also a 2010)?
Aura: 2010 redesign (to compliment the new Insginia)?

Very interesting. I bet rumors will start up once more people hear about this.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

What a piece of work is man.....

If you're worried about resale value, perhaps you shouldn't be buying a car in the first place. Leasing would be a better option in that case. You just don't get it, do you. This is a tough time for everyone, just because Toyota isn't offering incentives yet, doesn't mean GM is the only one hurting. Take a look out your window and you'll notice there's a recession, fuel prices are up, food prices are up and wages are holding fast...if you aren't being laid off. No one is really buying cars right now. But I guess it's just easier for you to put on your "I hate GM - I hate American cars" hat and start spouting crap than it is to see what's going on outside your parent's basement walls and take it into consideration.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I completely agree. Why pay over $1000 more for .1 addition liter and much worse fuel economy even with the new 6 speed auto? I happily chose the very affordable 3.5L/4spd in my 08 G6.
I agree. I got the Aura 08 3.5 XE over the others (4, 3.6) for a great price and couldn't be more happy with it. I had Saturn line up the door panels and all is well with the car now. This car is deffinetly not getting the props it deserves. My 3.5 still has great get up and go and good gas mileage. I average 22 in the city and 34 on the highway (which is rare). This car is what GM should be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks are of course a matter of opinion, but I once hear the Impala described as looking like it was designed in the 1980's. I rented one and thought it was really a nice car for the money, but the Impala is a fleet queen.

The redesign can't get here soon enough.
You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I'm suprised and dissappointed the Aura is offering $$3,500.00!!:eek::eek:
Talk about abandoning a product after the initial launch!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
580 Posts
So how much should I be able to get a base Cobalt XFE coupe for? I would consider trading in my Grand Prix if I could get a similar payment, for a brand new car.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts