GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Announces Ultifi Customer Experience Platform for Electric Vehicles
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/gm-announces-ultifi-customer-experience-platform-for-electric-vehicles-152017.html

Mircea Panait
November 24, 2020

Better late than never, General Motors will launch 30 electric vehicles by 2025. Cadillac is expected to be an electric-only brand by then, and in preparation for this change, the biggest of the Big Three in Detroit has introduced Ultifi.

“Wait, doesn’t that sound particularly similar to Ultium battery and electric-drive tech?” The coincidence is intentional, dear reader, and the purpose of Ultifi is to “reimagine the customer experience in pursuit of EV leadership.”

Presented during the Barclays Global Automotive Conference, the customer experience platform gives EV owners a digital identification number and related profile connected to their vehicles. The platform includes an undisclosed number of cloud services, an expanded portfolio of over-the-air software updates, a “frictionless EV ecosystem,” and a simplified buying experience via a smartphone app.

“With the customer at the center of our growth strategy, our priorities are simplicity and efficiency with unprecedented convenience and flexibility,” said Travis Hester, the newly appointed head honcho of EVs at General Motors. “We will use EVs as an opportunity to improve our industry’s use of e-commerce and digital retail.”

More at link

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
So a fancy app to find and pay for EV recharges away from home?

1) Radically Simplifying EV Purchase Experience
2) Frictionless EV Ecosystem
3) Transforming EV Ownership
4) Expanding Portfolio of OTA Software & Services
5) Game-Changing Mobile App
6) Personalized Cloud Profile

·
Premium Member
32,715 Posts
Hopefully, this is not some corporate bull, I like my Chevrolet retailer, I don’t want them getting all corporate on me with some bull

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pretty clear where GM's R&D dollars are going. Pity their next Gen of ICE vehicles.

All the eggs are officially in the EV basket. Better be some golden eggs in there because most of America won't be in EV for 25 years.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I understood absolutely none of the horse %$&#@. What are they doing. Sounds like they are trying to sell me something of no real value that I don’t need. They actually pay people to think up this stuff.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts
Pretty clear where GM's R&D dollars are going. Pity their next Gen of ICE vehicles.

All the eggs are officially in the EV basket. Better be some golden eggs in there because most of America won't be in EV for 25 years.
Agree with you on that. Thank goodness the market for regular cars is still being fed by the imports. And they(GM) will still tell us that they are profitable of course. Time will tell and it is going to be an interesting show to watch.

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understood absolutely none of the horse %$&#@. What are they doing. Sounds like they are trying to sell me something of no real value that I don’t need. They actually pay people to think up this stuff.
Ha! I'm not exactly clear on what this does for me either. I do wonder if part of it is you'll be able to take your profile from car to car - things like radio favorites - they were talking about the cloud that makes me think that...

And I wonder if they'll give you options to buy upgrades to your car.

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
That's pretty-much what I was thinking, but I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic.

Ha! I'm not exactly clear on what this does for me either. I do wonder if part of it is you'll be able to take your profile from car to car - things like radio favorites - they were talking about the cloud that makes me think that...

And I wonder if they'll give you options to buy upgrades to your car.
Oh you can bet it'll include additional costs, maybe you can buy OTA pinstripes and under coating, since you won't be going to the dealer much anymore?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts
That's pretty-much what I was thinking, but I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic.

Oh you can bet it'll include additional costs, maybe you can buy OTA pinstripes and under coating, since you won't be going to the dealer much anymore?
Yeah they do pay people to come up with this BS. We have one where I work. Out there to fix all our ills but in reality just making things worse. Expanding the payroll. ////// .Will the pinstriping and undercoating just suddenly appear on the vehicle?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they do pay people to come up with this BS. We have one where I worth. Out there to fix all our ills but in reality just making things worse. Expanding the payroll. ////// .Will the pinstriping and undercoating just suddenly appear on the vehicle?:rolleyes:
I'm thinking of it another way. I think we are now entering a time where software plays a bigger role in how your vehicle operates, especially with BEV's. Say you buy your new BEV and get the midlevel. Historically, once you've made your choice you are stuck with those choices until you buy a new car or turn to the aftermarket to spend money on upgrades. I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking this Ultifi will let you buy upgrades to performance or that new interface in the car. I don't deny that it would be nice to get all of that for free, but we live in a capitalist society. However, I have no doubts that they'll charge for stuff that we will all think should be free.

I do think it will be cool to have the option to unlock more performance or "mpg's" from your car. Depending on the price and how much the improvement is I'd consider it.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,246 Posts
So a fancy app to find and pay for EV recharges away from home?

1) Radically Simplifying EV Purchase Experience
2) Frictionless EV Ecosystem
3) Transforming EV Ownership
4) Expanding Portfolio of OTA Software & Services
5) Game-Changing Mobile App
6) Personalized Cloud Profile
GM's marketing and PR dweebs just gave us an opportunity to win a game of "Corporate doublespeak mumbo jumbo" bingo.

BINGO! :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm thinking of it another way. I think we are now entering a time where software plays a bigger role in how your vehicle operates, especially with BEV's. Say you buy your new BEV and get the midlevel. Historically, once you've made your choice you are stuck with those choices until you buy a new car or turn to the aftermarket to spend money on upgrades. I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking this Ultifi will let you buy upgrades to performance or that new interface in the car. I don't deny that it would be nice to get all of that for free, but we live in a capitalist society. However, I have no doubts that they'll charge for stuff that we will all think should be free.

I do think it will be cool to have the option to unlock more performance or "mpg's" from your car. Depending on the price and how much the improvement is I'd consider it.
I'm not an expert on Tesla, but I think that's what they can do software updates after purchase. For example, it's $10,000 to update to the Full Self-Driving version of Autopilot:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30...g-price-increase-10000-dollars-autopilot-beta

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not an expert on Tesla, but I think that's what they can do software updates after purchase. For example, it's $10,000 to update to the Full Self-Driving version of Autopilot:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30...g-price-increase-10000-dollars-autopilot-beta
I'd not update for that price, but I do like the idea of being able to improve my car after the fact, especially with the instant gratification of just pressing a few buttons and waiting for the update. I received my first software update on my car two or so weeks ago. Happy to report that it worked seamlessly, unlike Apple's ios 14.2 updated that f'ed up several items in my iWatch and phone.

·
Premium Member
32,715 Posts
I'd not update for that price, but I do like the idea of being able to improve my car after the fact, especially with the instant gratification of just pressing a few buttons and waiting for the update. I received my first software update on my car two or so weeks ago. Happy to report that it worked seamlessly, unlike Apple's ios 14.2 updated that f'ed up several items in my iWatch and phone.
I have to tell you, big tech gets away with murder

1 - 20 of 23 Posts