GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM to Increase Vehicle Deliveries to Customers in U.S., Canada
GM expects its first-half results will be significantly better than prior guidance and the company is optimistic about the full year
General Motors

DETROIT – Today, General Motors outlined steps it is taking to increase deliveries to dealers and customers in the United States and Canada to meet strong consumer demand for Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles.

• Production of the Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD full-size pickups will increase by about 1,000 trucks per month beginning in mid-July as a result of production line efficiencies delivered by the team at Flint Assembly in Michigan.
  • Shipments of Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickups built at Wentzville Assembly in Missouri will increase by about 30,000 total units from mid-May through the week of July 5 as the team completes dynamic vehicle testing on units held at the plant due to semiconductor supply disruptions.
  • Smaller volumes of vehicles held at other plants also will complete dynamic vehicle testing and ship to dealers during June and July.
  • U.S. assembly plants that build GM’s most capacity-constrained products will not take any dedicated vacation downtime this summer.

As announced in May, GM will return full-size pickup production to Oshawa Assembly in Canada during the fourth quarter of 2021. The new accelerated timeline and incremental volume are expected to make an impact in 2022, as production ramps up.

As a result of GM’s ongoing efforts to prioritize semiconductor usage, its success engineering solutions that maximize the utilization of chips as well as the pull-ahead of some projected semiconductor deliveries into the second quarter, the company now expects its first-half financial results to be significantly better than the first-half guidance previously provided. GM is optimistic about the full year and expects to share additional information during its second-quarter earnings conference call on Aug. 4. GM Chair and CEO Mary Barra and Chief Financial Officer Paul Jacobson will also participate in a Virtual Fireside Chat with Credit Suisse today, beginning at 1 p.m. EDT.

“The global semiconductor shortage remains complex and very fluid, but the speed, agility and commitment of our team, including our dealers, has helped us find creative ways to satisfy customers,” said Phil Kienle, GM vice president, North America Manufacturing and Labor Relations. “Customer demand continues to be very strong, and GM’s engineering, supply chain and manufacturing teams have done a remarkable job maximizing production of high-demand and capacity-constrained vehicles.”

Production at certain manufacturing facilities in North America, Asia and South America will continue to be impacted by the global semiconductor shortage through June and July. As global semiconductor supply recovers, the company expects to implement similar actions in markets around the world to resume production and increase deliveries to dealers through the second half of the year. GM continues to work with its suppliers and policy leaders to develop long-term solutions to the semiconductor supply issues that have impacted all automakers.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
In other words, sell your pickup truck now at a big markup and figure something out for a couple of months as a flood of new trucks will hit the market and discounts will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Kind of figured that's what they were doing. Telltale sign was spinning up LGR to produce Camaros and not the CT4/5.

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
In other words, sell your pickup truck now at a big markup and figure something out for a couple of months as a flood of new trucks will hit the market and discounts will be here before you know it!
KBB says $44,500 - $49,000

- I paid $41,500 +++ $44,000 OTD. (MSRP was ~$55,500)

But when will they "catch-up"? Discounts may never get back to where they were and with suspected inflation?....

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
KBB says $44,500 - $49,000

- I paid $41,500 +++ $44,000 OTD. (MSRP was ~$55,500)

But when will they "catch-up"? Discounts may never get back to where they were and with suspected inflation?....
Definitely a gamble! Could be riding your bike for a long time :ROFLMAO:

Though, even if you have to pay a little more for a new truck, it is essentially giving you a free 25k miles (or whatever miles you have on your truck). Certainly doesn't make sense to do it if you only have a few thousand miles on your current truck.

Risks and gambles - a problem I suspect I don't have because I have a car, which no one wants.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Sounds like somebody paid an "expedite" fee to get their parts sooner.

Good for GM.

Now when are we going to see the new trucks with the refreshed interiors? I suspect that they have to build out the parts on the 21's first.

My dishwasher has been on the fritz recently. I was looking at a replacement, but every one that I was remotely interested is backordered for at least a month. They all have WiFi now and a bunch of other fancy features!

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My dishwasher has been on the fritz recently. I was looking at a replacement, but every one that I was remotely interested is backordered for at least a month. They all have WiFi now and a bunch of other fancy features!
Why would one want to interact with their dishwasher any more than necessary, especially via WiFi?

Reactions: CJH and Neanderthal

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
Definitely a gamble! Could be riding your bike for a long time :ROFLMAO:

Though, even if you have to pay a little more for a new truck, it is essentially giving you a free 25k miles (or whatever miles you have on your truck). Certainly doesn't make sense to do it if you only have a few thousand miles on your current truck.

Risks and gambles - a problem I suspect I don't have because I have a car, which no one wants.
I have even contemplated, getting a low mileage (low price) 2-year lease on an Encore GX (or something similar).

I'm not confident prices will normalize in ~6 to 9 months.

Why would one want to interact with their dishwasher any more than necessary, especially via WiFi?
Why-not! My dishwasher has it's own Facebook page, thousands of follower!

J/K - But I imagine they've figured out a way to justify an app.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
I have even contemplated, getting a low mileage (low price) 2-year lease on an Encore GX (or something similar).

I'm not confident prices will normalize in ~6 to 9 months.

Why-not! My dishwasher has it's own Facebook page, thousands of follower!

J/K - But I imagine they've figured out a way to justify an app.
Anyone's guess, though you are probably right that it will take longer until production is normalized on everything.

I just noticed my fertilizer spreader has a spot to scan on the handle to download an AP. Crazy how all these companies think everyone is so enthusiastic about their appliance-like product that they want to spend their life on their AP. Like a dishwasher, I just want it to work - I don't want to read up on it.

·
Premium Member
35,772 Posts
Anyone's guess, though you are probably right that it will take longer until production is normalized on everything.

I just noticed my fertilizer spreader has a spot to scan on the handle to download an AP. Crazy how all these companies think everyone is so enthusiastic about their appliance-like product that they want to spend their life on their AP. Like a dishwasher, I just want it to work - I don't want to read up on it.
That's definitely a WTF moment. I guess some people are hooked. What do you do with a s--- spreader app? Talk shop? Lord help us.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
That's definitely a WTF moment. I guess some people are hooked. What do you do with a s--- spreader app? Talk shop? Lord help us.
We could twist this to a different angle but the usual subjects would be all up in arms about it. Just, think a 💩 spreader of sorts by certain leanings and an AP for it as well so they can talk shop ;).

·
Registered
12,348 Posts

I guess it's done so customers can find solutions for their questions via their smart phone, who'da thunk?, instead of running to the place or their computer inside.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
I guess it's done so customers can find solutions for their questions via their smart phone, who'da thunk?, instead of running to the place or their computer inside.
There probably is a benefit to it. I'll add it to the pile of other stuff that wants my attention :D

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
There probably is a benefit to it. I'll add it to the pile of other stuff that wants my attention :D
You sound just like me. I get that way with emails among other things sometimes. I open them, take a quick look, if not that important go back in a few days when I've the time and end up having a "delete" party.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
You sound just like me. I get that way with emails among other things sometimes. I open them, take a quick look, if not that important go back in a few days when I've the time and end up having a "delete" party.
At least I'm paperless and don't have stack of mail I'll look at someday but feel I can't throw it out.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
It's not a feature that I want, but it's what they have.

The dishwasher has a leak pan and will alert you if it detects a leak, it will alert you when the load is done washing, it will alert you when it's low on detergent. I think you might even be able to order detergent from the app? I think it's mostly an excuse to get you to download another app.

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
Our home T-Stat is WiFi enabled, I used to mess around with it once in a while, turn heat off/on from my phone (sometimes while sitting on the couch) but I haven't used it in years now.

We have it programed to our normal schedule and it goes off/on as we need, when we need on the occasion that our routine is altered, we just turn it up or down and "hold" for part of the day, or "vacation" setting for time we are gone more than an afternoon.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Our home T-Stat is WiFi enabled, I used to mess around with it once in a while, turn heat off/on from my phone (sometimes while sitting on the couch) but I haven't used it in years now.

We have it programed to our normal schedule and it goes off/on as we need, when we need on the occasion that our routine is altered, we just turn it up or down and "hold" for part of the day, or "vacation" setting for time we are gone more than an afternoon.
We had ductless AC put in a few years ago, for $1,500 extra I could've had a wi-fi enabled version (otherwise the same units) so I could do exactly that - change the temp remotely. I needed zero time to say "are you nuts?" $1,500 for something that may not work in 10 years due to changing tech, and $1,500???? For $50 I'd think about it, still probably say no, but Fifteen Hundred Dollars!!!!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
$1500 for WiFi!!! That's nuts. Almost all thermostats have WiFi now. I love mine. I can adjust while on travel, lying in bed, coming home from a trip, etc. I use the app as much as the wall. I never have to walk upstairs to adjust the second unit.

·
Super Moderator
20,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Meanwhile I just had a brand new system installed that still requires me to get up and poke a button to adjust the temp. 😂

1 - 20 of 21 Posts