GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM's Powertrain Performance Build Center To Produce Performance Engines

PONTIAC, Mich. - GM Powertrain plans to produce performance engines at a new manufacturing site located in Wixom, Mich., to be called the GM Powertrain Performance Build Center.

Ed Koerner, vice president of engineering operations, announced plans for the build center today. "I am very pleased to announce that GM will have a facility dedicated to building high-performance engines. A small but very passionate group of customers wants and demands vehicles with uncompromising levels of performance. The new Performance Build Center is dedicated to satisfying these customers."

GM is investing approximately $10 million in the facility. UAW Pontiac Local 653 will represent Wixom facility hourly employees, who will come from other GM locations. Site preparations began in spring 2003, with start of production planned for summer 2005.

GM Powertrain is a global producer of engines, transmissions, castings and components for GM vehicles and other automotive, marine and industrial OEMs. Headquartered in Pontiac, it has operating and coordinating responsibility for GM's powertrain manufacturing plants and engineering centers in North America, South America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.

·
Registered
396 Posts
okay, can someone please expalin something for me?

it was from my understanding that GM sourced other manufacturers to build their performance engines [502 ramjet, ZZ4, et cetera], so are they going to start building their own again? or are the engines they speak of in his release newer engines, like the LS1/2/6/7 or the Hi-Po ECOTECs?

·
Registered
790 Posts
ive heard of a 625hp corvette "blue devil" engine coming out of this factory. and the V12 from cadillac that we were promised.

all engines from this plant will be made by hand by one individual person. there is no assembly line.

·
Registered
790 Posts
well this is what i heard on it. maybe its a different factory though...

John McElroy, influential host of "Autoline Detroit" a weekly television program seen on Detroit's local PBS affiliate and also on the Speed Channel, reported on his "Automotive Insight" program on WWJ radio this morning that GM has a new, top-secret facility under construction in Wixom, a far western suburb of Detroit.

What will happen in this facility? John is reporting that GM will use the facility to create handbuilt engines for GM's future performance cars, much in the same way that AMG does for Mercedes-Benz - with one technician building an entire engine by hand.

Candidates for this program? Most likely the 625hp V-8 engine for the upcoming ultra-high-performance version of the next generation C6 Corvette, code-named "Blue Devil." Also, future engines for Cadillac's aggressive new V series program, which will include V-8s and reportedly even V-12s.

http://carspyshots.proboards2.com/i...&num=1070469504

i got this off of digitalcorvettes.com it was posted by punkboy as far as i know he first found this site for the information.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
All Cadillac V-Series engines will come from here (most likely) seeing that M and AMG have their own engine builders that are handmade, Caddy will do the same. So the XV12 and Blue Devil will be built there...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Excellent. Cadillac's V's will look good with their hand-built engines.

By "look good" - i mean that this will become something that Cadillac can use to advertise their V's - which hopefull will score a hit with consumers.

[evil witch] and then - my pretties - I'll cast the "Blue Devil" unto ye mopar! *cackle cackle* [/evil witch]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh dear God, I didn't relize that the "blue devil" made that much hp! I heard in was in the mid 500's but not 625hp. 625hp!?!, if that is true, damn the compition will **** it pants. Under 3200lbs and 625hp, thats a lethal combo the likes of which I would love to see :woot2:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
And so it begins.... the muscle car era is back in full force and full swing 100x more then the 60's ever could be. All I need now is news of a Camaro and 100% green light on that and I start saving my pennies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rumor has it. Gm will be making the H.O. 6Litre(345 hp) an option accros the board on there 1/2 ton full size trucks and utilities sometime in 2005. And offering something worthy to compete with the new Ford Lightning and Dodge SRT in the SS, probably a v10. They need to make those changes to up capacity for the 6.0 litre in the higher volume trucks as well as other high performace offerings in other vehicles. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
its good to hear that GM is going back to good old craftsmanship. then reading about "blue devil, i really cant wait to see what gm can roll out in the next few years. hopefully this plant will also build a more powerfull motor for the GTO also?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Do you think that they'd take the chance of making a 300 hp ecotec? Those things are supposed to stay together pretty much stock up to 1,000 hp. A 300 hp ecotec in a Cobalt would be a true SS!!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Jan 6 2004, 03:35 PM
Do you think that they'd take the chance of making a 300 hp ecotec? Those things are supposed to stay together pretty much stock up to 1,000 hp. A 300 hp ecotec in a Cobalt would be a true SS!!
There's an Ecotec V6 in the Opel Vectra that is turbocharged with 300 torque, if memory serves. Horsepower is less.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Given GM's track record, I'll believe the 625 horsepower Corvette when I see it with my own eyes.

But... great to see GM built a new plant in the great state of Michigan, in Pontiac no less.

Too bad you won't see any fast Pontiac's built in the Pontiac plant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts