GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next-Generation GMC Canyon is Almost Ready — Are You?
GMC announces Aug. 11 reveal date for 2023 Canyon
General Motors

August 2, 2022

DETROIT — Today, GMC announced the 2023 Canyon midsize truck will be revealed on Aug. 11 at 11 a.m. ET. In anticipation of the upcoming reveal, GMC is offering a glimpse at the truck’s off-road capability and a preview of the AT4X with Edition 1 package.

The first image provides a behind-the-scenes look at the rigorous development process the Canyon AT4X underwent in Moab, Utah, to help ensure the AT4X’s position as the most advanced and off-road capable Canyon ever.

Visible in the second image is a front view of the Canyon AT4X with Edition 1 package from the passenger’s side, giving a sneak peek of the next-generation Canyon’s higher and wider stance, which is factory lifted for optimal ground clearance.

GMC previously confirmed the 2023 model will mark the introduction of the AT4X trim to the Canyon lineup, offering premium and advanced off-road capability. First introduced on the 2022 GMC Sierra, the AT4X trim is the off-road optimized evolution of GMC’s increasingly popular AT4 sub-brand.

The Canyon AT4X with Edition 1 package will be available for customer reservations at launch. Availability will be announced at a later date.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,764 Posts
Is the 2.7L engine the only available powerplant? No Diesel correct?
Correct. That should indeed be the case for the U.S. market, based on the powertrain lineup for 2023 Chevy Colorado.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
So that’s a light bar on the Canyon AND fog lamps under it or is that a sensor? If I had the time I’d mirror that teaser of the Canyon and put it next to the other side just to give me an earlier look but I can tell it’s so good. Just hope the base models look as good as I think this one does. So the Colorado doesn’t have any off roading lighting at all? Maybe I missed it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another daddy cab with a vestigial bed, just what the world needs.
For a great many people it is all the truck they need, or want.
I have grown tired of carrying smelly things inside with me (SUV's, CUV's) but have zero need for a full size pickup. So a 4 dr mid size pickup with a small bed makes sense.
For the few times I might need more bed space I will hitch up my trailer. Why daily drive more length than I need on already crowded roads? Smaller bed is more maneuverable and fits in parking spaces better.

I will say I prefer the higher mounted headlights of the Colorado. Low mounting just means they catch more dirt and grim thrown up by the vehicle in front of you.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Hard to tell with no Canyon side view, but it looks like Chevy and GMC traded sheetmetal styling themes (just like Sierra and Silverado did years ago). Now the Canyon gets the smoother, flowing, and better integrated sheetmetal, while Colorado flips to the severe clunky look. Win for Canyon!

·
Super Moderator
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to tell with no Canyon side view, but it looks like Chevy and GMC traded sheetmetal styling themes (just like Sierra and Silverado did years ago). Now the Canyon gets the smoother, flowing, and better integrated sheetmetal, while Colorado flips to the severe clunky look. Win for Canyon!
Well there's this:

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Wow. GM sure found a way to make their mid-size trucks looks beefy. I think they will sell well again!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I am always a Pontiac/GMC type of guy but what has been shown thus far of the front end is really ummmm let me say not attractive to me personally. The ‘split’ in the GMC signature lighting is really not my thing. Nor am I fond of the grille.

I love the new MCM Sierras in all trims, Yukons in all trims and Terrains as well. However, I am not feeling this one.

Maybe it will grow on me… But thus far I have to say I am not sold yet. Hopefully I am not the average 3rd generation Canyon buyer even though I had 2 of the 2nd generation.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Another daddy cab with a vestigial bed, just what the world needs.
I know and that is the kind I buy. They are practical for moving full-size adults and crap!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,008 Posts
For a great many people it is all the truck they need, or want.
I have grown tired of carrying smelly things inside with me (SUV's, CUV's) but have zero need for a full size pickup. So a 4 dr mid size pickup with a small bed makes sense.
For the few times I might need more bed space I will hitch up my trailer. Why daily drive more length than I need on already crowded roads? Smaller bed is more maneuverable and fits in parking spaces better.

I will say I prefer the higher mounted headlights of the Colorado. Low mounting just means they catch more dirt and grim thrown up by the vehicle in front of you.
True. My father is a prime example. Got rid of the massive RV trailer thingy has a camper conversion van now so he ditched the full size Super Duty F250 4X4 and a Nissan Xterra for a new 4 dr. Chevy Colorado ZR2. He still can put 4-5 people in it and has a bed for things although somewhat smaller and a shiny expanded metal look lockable toolbox for things in the bed. It does the job just fine.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
True. My father is a prime example. Got rid of the massive RV trailer thingy has a camper conversion van now so he ditched the full size Super Duty F250 4X4 and a Nissan Xterra for a new 4 dr. Chevy Colorado ZR2. He still can put 4-5 people in it and has a bed for things although somewhat smaller and a shiny expanded metal look lockable toolbox for things in the bed. It does the job just fine.
You just have to figure out the pros and cons for your situation. A short cab is a definite reduction in people carrying potential, but a short bed is not really so limiting, as you CAN expand your capacity (through piling high, hanging over, or pulling a trailer). Considering that the big cab/short bed has that definite edge in versatility, you can expect automakers to always lead with that combination.

But there will also be some need for the less versatile small cab/long bed for some. Will that need (or just desire) be big enough to convince automakers to build them? Dunno, that's up to their bean counters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts