GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of subura does GM own? And what is this i have heard about gm making a rebadged version of the WRX?

Fack i can't spell

·
Registered
396 Posts
where can i get a Subura WRK? maybe they ofter the STd option here :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE@Nov 24 2003, 06:46 AM
How much of subura does GM own? And what is this i have heard about gm making a rebadged version of the WRX?

Fack i can't spell
That's the Saab 9-2 ;)

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by gerardo_zg+Nov 25 2003, 02:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gerardo_zg @ Nov 25 2003, 02:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ReD-DaWg-OnE@Nov 24 2003, 06:46 AM
How much of subura does GM own?  And what is this i have heard about gm making a rebadged version of the WRX?

Fack i can't spell
That's the Saab 9-2 ;) [/b][/quote]
Not quite... it's teh Saab 9-2X. :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
wait one minute i may sound stupid but i think that gm owning part of subaru is illegal

why because of all the antitrust and anti-monopoly acts of hte early 1900s i remember form history class that one (sherman or clayton atitrust act?) of them outlawed a company owning stock in another company in the same industry

this may have been changed since then or may not be valid for foreign companies but i jus thought i'd mention it

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by hockey81289@Nov 26 2003, 07:12 PM
wait one minute i may sound stupid but i think that gm owning part of subaru is illegal

why because of all the antitrust and anti-monopoly acts of hte early 1900s i remember form history class that one (sherman or clayton atitrust act?) of them outlawed a company owning stock in another company in the same industry

this may have been changed since then or may not be valid for foreign companies but i jus thought i'd mention it
Surely the rules have been changed on that-- Companies do this all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
That has changed.

Ford owns Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo, Aston Martin and Land Rover

Apart from the obvious (pont, buick, chev, olds, etc...) and foreign brands (Opel, Holden) GM owns Daewoo, part of Isuzu and Subaru, and has trade deals with Suzuki

Daimler Chrysler owns part of Mitsubishi

BMW owns Mini and Rolls Royce

Volkwagen-Audi owns Bentley, and has trade deals with Porsche

Ferrari owns Fiat (or Vice Versa)

and many more...

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by hockey81289@Nov 26 2003, 08:12 PM

No... Not illegal. It's done all the time.

HOWEVER... if GM were to acquire Ford..... THAT would definitely raise some red flags in the US.. and definitely in the EU. Or even if Ford and GM were to merge, it would still raise red flags in teh US and EU.
But every acquisition must past anti-trust regulations before it can proceed.

Acquiring Subaru is not "illegal." GM acquiring or merging with Toyota might be illegal (or Toytoa acquiring GM).

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Nov 26 2003, 10:14 PM
That has changed.

Ford owns Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo, Aston Martin and Land Rover

Apart from the obvious (pont, buick, chev, olds, etc...) and foreign brands (Opel, Holden) GM owns Daewoo, part of Isuzu and Subaru, and has trade deals with Suzuki

and many more...
Here are the Top 5 Car Manufacturers and the brands that fall under their respective umbrellas. I might have missed a few of the "smaller" companies...

GM
In US: Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Cadillac, Saturn, Hummer, GMC, Chevy
In Europe: Saab, Opel, Fiat, Alfa Romeo
In Asia-Pacific: Holden, Daewoo, Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru, and a non-controlling interest in Honda.

FORD
In US: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury
In Europe: Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo
In Asia-Pacific: Mazda

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER
In US: Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge
In Europe: Mercedes-Benz, SMART
In Asia-Pacific: Mitsubishi

VW
In US: None
In Europe: VW, Bugatti, Audi, Skoda, Bentley
In Asia-Pacific: None

TOYOTA
In US: Lexus, Scion
In Europe: None
In Asia-Pacific: Toyota

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
They just own a huge chunk of the Subaru stock last time I checked. Subaru is still "independent" - as much as any company can be that has a massive alliance partner owning a fourth or so of its stock.

At least in Subaru's case, they seem to be doing well without their own version of the Trailblazer. :lol:

Now Suzuki is even more interesting. GM owns a chunk of Suzuki stock, and Suzuki and GM own chunks of GM Daewoo (Suzuki only 10%, and some creditors in Korea own some percent). Now that's some interesting use of alliance partners -- better than outright owning and controlling them in my opinion. That way they can avoid being too generic, and can ask for a vehicle or supply one to GM when one side or the other needs something. Like with the Saab 9-2.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Nov 27 2003, 04:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Nov 27 2003, 04:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Nov 26 2003, 10:14 PM
That has changed.

and many more...
Here are the Top 5 Car Manufacturers and the brands that fall under their respective umbrellas. I might have missed a few of the "smaller" companies...

GM
In Asia-Pacific: Holden, Daewoo, Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru, and a non-controlling interest in Honda.

FORD

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER

VW

TOYOTA
In Asia-Pacific: Toyota [/b][/quote]
You missed Vauxhall:p

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Nov 26 2003, 11:23 PM

GM

FORD

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER

VW

TOYOTA
In Asia-Pacific: Toyota
I've got a few problems with this list. Chief among them is that GM owns NONE of Honda. And I have a problem with calling 10% or 20% ownership "owning" the company, but that one is my problem, I guess.

Here's the world's Top 5 (in 2002) vehicle manufacturers, in order:

#1 GM - who owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Holden, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Opel, Saab, Vauxhall, and created Saturn. They own the name Hummer, while someone else (AM General) builds them. They have large shares in GM DAT (formerly Daewoo). And non-controlling shares in Fuji Heavy (Subaru), Fiat Auto (which includes Alfa Romeo, Fiat, and Lancia), Isuzu, and Suzuki.

#2 Ford Motor Company - who owns Aston Martin, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Volvo, and created Mercury. They have a controlling stake in Mazda of about 34%. They owned Th!nk, before selling it fairly recently.

#3 Toyota Motor Corporation - who owns Toyota (which includes, in various countries, Lexus and Scion brands). They have controllin stakes in Daihatsu and Hino.

#4 Volkswagen AG - who owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Skoda, and Volkswagen. They have smaller stakes in MAN and Scania.

#5 DaimlerChrysler AG - who owns Chrysler, Dodge, Freightliner, Jeep, MCC Smart, Mercedes-Benz, Setra, Sterling, Western Star. They have smaller stakes in Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Ssangyong.

If Renault and Nissan are treated as one company (which they typically are), they would be larger than DaimlerChrysler and include Dacia, Nissan (including the Infiniti brand), Renault, and Samsung.

There's no problem with one company buying another company in the same industry, as was pointed out before. The problem with anti-trust comes when one company monopolizes an industry. As was mentioned, if the number one (GM) and number two (Ford) companies were to combine, more than one organization would have a problem because they would become quite large. They still would not have more than 50% of the global market but they would control just over half of the US market.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
:eek:
I was under the impression that GM took a small percentage of Honda 2-5%. But GM has no say/control in Honda operations.
GM has 20-25% in Fuji Heavy, which, I believe, under Japanese law, gives GM significant control, but not full control of the company.
GM owns something like 37+% of Isuzu. Which, under Japanese law gives GM control of the board, if I am not mistaken. (You don't need to own >50% to control a company.)
GM owns 100% of Saab and 20% of Fiat... and eventually 100% of Fiat (Fiat, Alfa, Lancia) down the road.

Ford, I think has 50% of Mazda. Someone correct me. And 100% of Jag, Volvo, and Rover.

:blink: Samsung makes cars? I thought Apple Computers had a 15% stake in Samsung.

Anyways... about 2-3 years ago, there was an issue of R&T that mapped out the entire auto industry. it was one of those big fold-out sections. ANyone have a copy of it? I did at one point in time, but can't find it.

:D

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
What ius the relationship between Porsche and VW? Apparently they aren't owned by each other, yet they share many mechanicals, and designs and stuff.

Here in Canada, they are usually sold at the same dealerships as well.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Nov 28 2003, 06:14 AM
:eek:
I was under the impression that GM took a small percentage of Honda 2-5%. But GM has no say/control in Honda operations.
GM has 20-25% in Fuji Heavy, which, I believe, under Japanese law, gives GM significant control, but not full control of the company.
GM owns something like 37+% of Isuzu. Which, under Japanese law gives GM control of the board, if I am not mistaken. (You don't need to own >50% to control a company.)
GM owns 100% of Saab and 20% of Fiat... and eventually 100% of Fiat (Fiat, Alfa, Lancia) down the road.

Ford, I think has 50% of Mazda. Someone correct me. And 100% of Jag, Volvo, and Rover.

:blink: Samsung makes cars? I thought Apple Computers had a 15% stake in Samsung.

Anyways... about 2-3 years ago, there was an issue of R&T that mapped out the entire auto industry. it was one of those big fold-out sections. ANyone have a copy of it? I did at one point in time, but can't find it.

:D
Ford owns 32% of Mazda

·
Registered
396 Posts
GM has no ownership in honda, i believe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts