GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
If I stayed within the speed limit most of the time and fully stop at stop signs then I'd be fine with being monitored if it keeps my rates down. I don't do anything of interest as far as places I go, if big brother wants to monitor my trips to the grocery store and shoot a few coupons my way I'm fine with it.
Welcome to 1984.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If I stayed within the speed limit most of the time and fully stop at stop signs then I'd be fine with being monitored if it keeps my rates down. I don't do anything of interest as far as places I go, if big brother wants to monitor my trips to the grocery store and shoot a few coupons my way I'm fine with it.
Life's too short to strictly adhere to every edict. I drive mostly sticks and "roll through" many stops clutch in. In rural America speed limits are merely suggestions for the meek who aren't familiar with our seriously windy roads. Big Brother can kiss it!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I removed the OnStar radio transceiver board from my 2019 Camaro 2SS. My XM and Bluetooth still work perfectly. Now my car is a car, not a rolling data center the car companies want.

Do yourself a favor. Remove your OnStar transceiver board.

OnStar shouldn’t just be “optional” to activate, all the hardware and radio itself should be optional. A car should not be a mobile data port.

·
Premium Member
34,677 Posts
I removed the OnStar radio transceiver board from my 2019 Camaro 2SS. My XM and Bluetooth still work perfectly. Now my car is a car, not a rolling data center the car companies want.

OnStar shouldn’t just be “optional” to activate, all the hardware and radio itself should be optional. A car should not be a mobile data port.
This discussion has me thinking, perhaps I should also leave my phone home

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
This discussion has me thinking, perhaps I should also leave my phone home
Buy a cheap burner phone. Take real phone with you, after eating a container of Pepperidge Farm cookies use the container as a Faraday Cage for real phone. If you REALLY need it, it's there.

·
Premium Member
34,677 Posts
Buy a cheap burner phone. Take real phone with you, after eating a container of Pepperidge Farm cookies use the container as a Faraday Cage for real phone. If you REALLY need it, it's there.
...And borrow someone's in the event of an emergency? ;)
I will see if my provider still carries those. Though they can always triangulate you from the tawa your signal is coming from, perhaps I need one of those old school Nokia’s that had real cellular technology in them.

Forget digital, it doesn’t work very well anyways

·
Registered
527 Posts

Unlike some here I do not have any driving habits to hide. On Star can check in whenever they want. Zero concerns here.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I would not be happy if a revenue-seeking police department, municipality or other entity will present me with multiple traffic tickets for doing 1-2 mph over the speed limit with my car providing the evidence

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I would not be happy if a revenue-seeking police department, municipality or other entity will present me with multiple traffic tickets for doing 1-2 mph over the speed limit with my car providing the evidence
I have gotten many a speeding ticket over many a year. However, exactly zero (0) of my speeding tickets were issued based on evidence supplied by my car.

The facts are that the police don't need my car to snitch on me. They have radar in their prowlers. They have roadside radar. They have roadside photographic speed traps. The thing about existing police speed detection technology is that it is kept in the custody of the police. It is maintained under the aegis of the police. It is calibrated by the police.

One of the many things that people who fear their cars ratting them out do not understand is that a speeding ticket is a charge that the driver violated the law. This charge must stand up in a court of law. You don't hear a lot about the cases, but some people defend themselves against traffic tickets. If the charging officer cannot attest to the accuracy of his charges, then the hearing official has no option but to dismiss the charges.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
I have gotten many a speeding ticket over many a year. However, exactly zero (0) of my speeding tickets were issued based on evidence supplied by my car.

The facts are that the police don't need my car to snitch on me. They have radar in their prowlers. They have roadside radar. They have roadside photographic speed traps. The thing about existing police speed detection technology is that it is kept in the custody of the police. It is maintained under the aegis of the police. It is calibrated by the police.

One of the many things that people who fear their cars ratting them out do not understand is that a speeding ticket is a charge that the driver violated the law. This charge must stand up in a court of law. You don't hear a lot about the cases, but some people defend themselves against traffic tickets. If the charging officer cannot attest to the accuracy of his charges, then the hearing official has no option but to dismiss the charges.
in Manitoba Canada PHOTO ENFORCEMENT AKA camera tickets do NOT have licence demerits attached and are legally like a parking ticket then an "actual speeding ticket" - BECAUSE they can NOT identify the operator the committed the offence

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
I'm wondering if collecting on the makers' "insurance" will be akin to trying to get warranty work done. In some cases.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
in Manitoba Canada PHOTO ENFORCEMENT AKA camera tickets do NOT have licence demerits attached and are legally like a parking ticket then an "actual speeding ticket" - BECAUSE they can NOT identify the operator the committed the offence
OK, I will raise you one. My recent experience with speeding tickets in the USA is that they do not result in license demerits even when based on radar. They give you the option to pay the fine online before the court date. If you miss the court date, then you may still pay the fine plus a late fee online. I don't know if they have an arrangements with the insurance companies because this arrangement has large fines, but no reports to the offenders' insurance company.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts