GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Depends what state you are in, NY (or maybe just Westchester county) outlawed the little metal clip that lets you NOT have to hold onto the pump.
It's against the law in all of NY to leave the pump "unattended". Can't stuff anything in the handle such as the gas cap either.

·
Registered
20,429 Posts
Those two locations are where the companies are headquartered. That has nothing to do with the body of the press release. They are adding the chargers nationwide to high traffic locations.
Is this 2,700 "cords" or 2,700 "locations" there is a big difference, at the local gas-corner, 3 stations, there has to be close to 50 pumps/handles.

If you're going to wait 15-30 minutes for a 80% or higher charge why would you want to charge at a gas station with nothing to do? Might as well put it in locations where you can leave the car and eat or shop.

I wonder if they might NOT do that (not have shopping) to discourage people from leaving their car at a charger for four hours while they shop, making that charger unusable to everyone else (and we know people will do that).
You just know people are going to leave their cars past a reasonable time thereby tying up the available charging slots. Some type of mechanism will have to be devised to prevent this in order to limit the number of shopper-on-shopper altercations. Then again, this could be a source of here-to-now untapped entertainment for other shoppers. (Of course, I'm j/k.)
Those charging are permitted a few minute "grace" period after their vehicle is fully charged, afterwards a penalty "parking" fee is implemented per minute to encourage them to move along.
every EV charger I have seen you are charge for the time PLUGGED IN NOT time CHARGING / KWH taken so MOST people will try to make it back to there rides to remove / stop billing in a semi-timely manner
Sounds like a real problem in the making, don't these public stations already charge an abnormally high kWh rate?

Shopping at the grocery store and then a long-line at check-out, delay with your meal at a restaurant?.....................

Certainly some kinks to work-out.

Maybe just park in the prime parking spot and pretend you are getting a charge, but never actually pay?

·
Premium Member
35,648 Posts
Is this 2,700 "cords" or 2,700 "locations" there is a big difference, at the local gas-corner, 3 stations, there has to be close to 50 pumps/handles.

Maybe just park in the prime parking spot and pretend you are getting a charge, but never actually pay?
Jerks will be jerks. Jerks already park in the pickup area of the local Walrus World, go in, shop, return, drive away. I told the Walrus World guy that if they tow these cars for a week or so that problem will go away.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts

Sounds like a real problem in the making, don't these public stations already charge an abnormally high kWh rate?

Shopping at the grocery store and then a long-line at check-out, delay with your meal at a restaurant?.....................

Certainly some kinks to work-out.

And also the issue of wealth, if you have enough money it might be worth paying the fee for the convenience of a parking spot (I'm thinking Christmas or busy summer vacation destination where spots are hard to find).

And good point - just park and never give them your credit card, now you have a free spot! Though I assume there are (or will soon be) camera's on the electric pumps/light poles to record who is sitting in the spot. They might be able to send a picture to the police and have a ticket issued.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’m into my 3rd month with a Bolt. A lot of the comments are accurate from my perspective. My concerns about EVGO chargers are that there are too few, they are too slow and too expensive. The are essentially priced at the same cost as gas would be for the Bolt. I would pay more for a a more convenient and faster charge. GM should place fast chargers at their dealerships like Harley Davidson. At this point the Bolt is great for around town but not for a long trip.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I’m into my 3rd month with a Bolt. A lot of the comments are accurate from my perspective. My concerns about EVGO chargers are that there are too few, they are too slow and too expensive. The are essentially priced at the same cost as gas would be for the Bolt. I would pay more for a a more convenient and faster charge. GM should place fast chargers at their dealerships like Harley Davidson. At this point the Bolt is great for around town but not for a long trip.
Chargers at their dealerships is a no-brainer. It is mind boggling that GM doesn't do that or require dealerships to do it.
Not only would it be a place owners can charge their cars.....when traveling out of town you KNOW the Chevy dealership in the area you are traveling to will have one....but also what would people do when they are charging their cars up? Most would likely take a walk through the dealer lot and/or showroom and check out your new products.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Chargers at their dealerships is a no-brainer. It is mind boggling that GM doesn't do that or require dealerships to do it.
Not only would it be a place owners can charge their cars.....when traveling out of town you KNOW the Chevy dealership in the area you are traveling to will have one....but also what would people do when they are charging their cars up? Most would likely take a walk through the dealer lot and/or showroom and check out your new products.
VW / BMW / FORD all have level 2 chargers and some DCFC chargers at there lots but IMHO dealer lots are NOT a "nice" place for a forced break compared to a MALL / entertainment complex ETC
but better then a "electric gas station" / plugs @ the local shell station

·
Premium Member
35,648 Posts
It’s Millennials
Who helps them get the charger plugged in?

VW / BMW / FORD all have level 2 chargers and some DCFC chargers at there lots but IMHO dealer lots are NOT a "nice" place for a forced break compared to a MALL / entertainment complex ETC
but better then a "electric gas station" / plugs @ the local shell station
Our local KIA ("I want to see ya in a KIA!") dealer used to have cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and other stuff like green tea for the organics. Now with the Panicdemic making everyone paranoid, they ditched all that.

·
Premium Member
33,692 Posts
Who helps them get the charger plugged in?

Our local KIA ("I want to see ya in a KIA!") dealer used to have cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and other stuff like green tea for the organics. Now with the Panicdemic making everyone paranoid, they ditched all that.
Let me ask you , do they charge dodge chargers over there?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Charging is slow on your 55kw Bolt? What charge rate are you seeing?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts