GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox unveiled in September shed 400 pounds over the 2017 edition, and Chevrolet gave us a closer look at at how it used higher-strength steel to lightweight the body of the popular compact SUV.

Also, the hood is aluminum, spokeswoman Courtney Moats confirmed Friday.

As the Equinox is Chevrolet’s No. 2 seller (278,000 last year) after the Silverado truck, take a look at the diagrams here ahead of the formal vehicle and repair procedures release. The 2018 Equinox goes on sale in the first quarter of 2017.

Collision repairers will likely see quite a few examples of the Equinox — even if it does offer autonomous crash prevention technology as options — and the body-in-white’s design proves that knowing proper advanced- and ultra- high-strength steel (and aluminum) procedures will be crucial.

full article at link:

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...dvanced-high-strength-steel-to-31-uhss-to-11/

·
Registered
16,587 Posts
No, no, no! GM engineering had nothing to do with it being lighter, GM is to stupid to do anything like that. The Equinox is lighter only because it is smaller. It is made out of chewing gum and rocks.

Anyway, very interesting. Which is stronger, the advanced or ultra? I assume ultra...

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
No, no, no! GM engineering had nothing to do with it being lighter, GM is to stupid to do anything like that. The Equinox is lighter only because it is smaller. It is made out of chewing gum and rocks.

Anyway, very interesting. Which is stronger, the advanced or ultra? I assume ultra...
Half right. It is smaller but the weight savings exceed the size shrink

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

You also forgot that the only reason that people bought the Equinox was because it was larger than its competitors and represented a good value. Now that it is similar in size to its competitors and no longer represents a value buy, nobody will buy the Equinox. (Forget the fact that it will be competitive or class leading in fuel economy, tech, and safety.) The GMI geniuses taught me that the same thing will occur with the new Acadia. GM is so stooopid.

·
Registered
16,587 Posts
I do like GM getting away from selling on value, rather selling on the greatness of their vehicles. That's the way to bigger profits!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,411 Posts
It's a give and take, lighter by use of materials selection so they say but on the other hand the dimensions have decreased too. It will be interesting to see how the sales trend now that there isn't the size advantage with it. I'm withholding a final judgement of looks until seeing one in person because frankly I like the lines of the last one better.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I use to be that way, however I now hold the position that if it is a FWD vehicle then it will be an I-4 for me, if it is RWD then any engine layout is on the plate for me.
I wonder what the little diesel can pull ... that is a big surprise for me ... 40mpg HWY ... let's see it GM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts