·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM’s BrightDrop to build delivery EVs, 500 Fedex trucks this year
Electrek
Seth Weintraub
Jan. 12th 2021

The GM announcements keep coming at CES 2021 this year. Today GM CEO Mary Barra announced a new division called BrightDrop that would be building electric delivery vehicles and the technology to go along with it.

Today General Motors announced BrightDrop, a new division and brand, which will offer an “ecosystem of electric first-to-last-mile products” for logistics companies. The first of these products will deliver this year in the form of 500 FedEx delivery vehicles, but we’re told GM has many other partners who have signed letters of intent, and those will be announced later and start rolling out in 2022.

BrightDrop EP1 – BrightDrop’s first product to market, the EP1, will be a propulsion-assisted, electric pallet developed to easily move goods over short distances – for example, from the delivery vehicle to the customer’s front door. Available in early 2021, the EP1 can help reduce package touch points, costs and physical strain on delivery drivers. EP1 features and benefits include:

• Built-in electric hub motor with adjustable speed up to 3 mph depending on operator’s walking pace.
  • Maneuverable in tight spaces.
  • Carries and secures approximately 23 total cubic feet of cargo.
  • Payload capacity of 200 pounds.
  • Adjustable shelving organizes contents.
  • Lockable cabinet doors allow for secure, remote access to contents.
*Full Article at Link

·
Premium Member
32,715 Posts
Never heard of BrightDrop. Sounds like a total take on Amazon last mile strategy. Mother is not playing games.
Should scare the sheit out of big carriers like FedEx.

Will they be branded GMC or Chevrolet?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Stock up over 8%, sounds like Wall Street likes it.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Another division?!?!

Sounds awesome but 500 trucks? Our local Fedex here has over 300 in it's fleet. A small drop but at least it's something.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,246 Posts
The "ecosystem" aspect to BrightDrop seems to be compelling. Looks like General Motors intends to serve the logistics and distribution sector with much more than just trucks and vans.

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
Never heard of BrightDrop. Sounds like a total take on Amazon last mile strategy. Mother is not playing games.

What the heck are you talking about!?

Here's a bright idea, drop the new logo design and rename this new division.

Amen.............

Stock up over 8%, sounds like Wall Street likes it.
Yeah, take a look at: $TSLA, $RIDE, $WKHS, $XPEV or $NIO over the past 2 1/2 months.....................

Interestingly enough, $F is up almost 4% today too.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
66 Posts

In my hometown, we are trying a new system for this last mile strategy. I was skeptical but it works very well. The results are even better than what the project managers expected.

Many deliveries to the city center are now made by bicycle, even in winter. I was among those who laughed at the project but now I'm glad I was wrong.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-zero-emission-deliveries-1.5282124

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts

It's a new creation done specifically for this endeavor or so I've seen.

·
Registered
16,607 Posts
In my hometown, we are trying a new system for this last mile strategy. I was skeptical but it works very well. The results are even better than what the project managers expected.

Many deliveries to the city center are now made by bicycle, even in winter. I was among those who laughed at the project but now I'm glad I was wrong.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-zero-emission-deliveries-1.5282124
Interesting! I can imagine this working well in big cities, like NYC where congestion and finding a place to park (or double park) can make that "last mile" via truck to be very impractical. Such a simple idea!

How do they lock the bike so someone doesn't take the bike and packages while unattended when a delivery is made? I could see criminals with simple bolt cutters ending a program like this quickly.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts
I have been calling for YEARS that delivery vehicles should be EV. This is outstanding!
The Post Office is doing it and it should be something the rest delve into, especially where they never leave their own community and such.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts
Amazing how they are transforming GM, GM of 2030 is going to look nothing like GM 2008.
In some ways that's grand especially the way the world is going but I'm still not too keen on having something electric just yet myself.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Amazing how they are transforming GM, GM of 2030 is going to look nothing like GM 2008.
GM certainly isn't hanging around to be swept along by the trends. Barra & Co. are making some big, long-term bets on what seem like all of the right places.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,246 Posts
Yup. I hope BrightDrop is a success. It's refreshing to hear news of GM expanding its business operations and entering new markets, especially since GM in the mid to late 2010s became well known for doing the opposite.

Reactions: BlackGTP
1 - 20 of 80 Posts