·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors to shut British engine factory
David Gow
Saturday April 10, 2004
The Guardian

General Motors is to close its sole engine plant in Britain at Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, and transfer production to North America in a fresh blow to Britain's manufacturing base, it emerged yesterday.

The plant, part of a joint Powertrain venture with Fiat, has been making engines for Vauxhall and Opel, the British and German GM brands, but output has been slashed to 60,000 a year recently.

A GM Europe spokesman confirmed that the plant would cease making engines for the Vectra and Sigma models in July but said the 175 employees would be transfered to the assembly line at the nearby car factory.

Officials at Amicus, the engineering union, said: "We are dismayed that these are highly skilled manufacturing jobs that are yet again leaving the UK."

The GMB union calculates that Britain is losing 300 manufacturing jobs a day.

Both Amicus and the TGWU welcomed Vauxhall's decision to take on the remaining staff at the car plant, which is gearing up for the May 1 launch of the re-engineered Astra.

GM has secured 60,000 advance orders for the new Astra - the "make or break" car for the loss-making division - which, because of the euro's strength, is unlikely to reach its target of $100m (£54m) profits this year.

The TGWU pointed out that Ford, BMW and Toyota had invested heavily in British engine plants while GM, which closed its Luton car plant three years ago, was disinvesting and focusing on a new joint venture with Honda.

But GM officials said orders for the V6 engine had run out. It used to make engines for Cadillac and Saturn but the number of shifts has been cut from three at the peak of output to one.

Full Article Here

GM Insidenews Engine Guide

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sorry Britain. I am glad to hear North America will get more work.

I just hope it is the USA...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
They were good engines, just underpowered. But if the 3.2L from the CTS was in the L-Series then I would consider buying one. A 182HP V6 - forget about it!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
yeah cut the brits and make them in china (ok, maybe it's not the case here, but equinox's engines are made there...)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Exchange rates seem to have equalized a bit around Europe which is good for GM, since they're so Euro-zone heavy (vs. Ford who are mostly in the UK and Sweeden outside the Euro). Anyone importing cars from Europe to the US tho' will really be hurting (although all such cars have huge profit margins to start)...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I do not think anyone reads about the World Trade Organization. Are we a nation unto ourselves.

****, companies are going to China because the WTO has a NTM (Non Tariff agreement) because they are non industrialised and have 5 years of NTM until they are AND the USA (Mr Bush) extended that for our countrie when it should be 3 years left.

So, I have no plans for a Equinox.....

Oh Hell. WGF.

:(

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There must be a monetary benefit to building the outdated 3.4L engine in China - the Mexican made redesigned 3.5L version that will be used or is already used in every other new GM product must be more expensive.

If not, there is some seriously twisted logic at work.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Now what's going to move all those Vectras?

·
Registered
579 Posts
GM have had huge success in China. I wouldn't be surprised to soon see the Chinese opperations subsidizing the money-losing ones in Europe and North America...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts