1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Motors to announce more battery factories this week, president says
June 14m 2021
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — The president of General Motors says his company plans to announce more U.S. battery factories later this week.

Mark Reuss gave no details of where the factories would be located or exactly what they would manufacture. He spoke in a weekend interview with the Associated Press at an IndyCar race on an island park near downtown Detroit.

Company spokesman Jim Cain wouldn’t comment Monday on the announcements, but noted GM GM, -0.44% previously stated it would build more factories to add battery capacity as electric vehicles grow in sales. GM has set a goal to stop selling internal-combustion passenger vehicles by 2035.

“In the next week we’ll announce some more, and it will be here in the U.S.,” Reuss said of the new battery factories.

The factories would be in addition to two battery cell plants that the company announced in the past two years, both geared to ramp up production as GM rolls out 30 new electric vehicles globally by 2025, with more than two-thirds sold in North America.

More at link

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As frustrating as it is watching Ford eat GM's lunch, at least we do know GM has a lot of product coming with all of their battery plant building going on.

Going to be boring on GMI for a little while, and painful while we launch other companies putting out product, but once these plants are online we should have an interesting time!

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
As frustrating as it is watching Ford eat GM's lunch, at least we do know GM has a lot of product coming with all of their battery plant building going on.
Not only Ford but also Stellantis, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai-Kia eat GM's lunch.... I'm a bit sceptical about that battery plant and seeing the photo of Mark Reuss announcing it, he doesn't look cheerful about it....

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not only Ford but also Stellantis, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai-Kia eat GM's lunch.... I'm a bit sceptical about that battery plant and seeing the photo of Mark Reuss announcing it, he doesn't look cheerful about it....
He doesn't seem to be the "giddy" type. :D

·
Premium Member
36,200 Posts

Going to be boring on GMI for a little while, and painful while we launch other companies putting out product, but once these plants are online we should have an interesting time!
GM has a long and proud history of "Just youse guyses wait! Tomorrow, next year, five years, 10 year. But by golly, you'll be sorry you ever made fun of us!"

Just you wait!

I thought that was a photo of Charles Krauthammer at first, Krauthammer on a tirade that is. Mark either spent too much time under the tanning lamp or he's getting pretty woke about something. Hard to tell.

Reactions: Impala Dio

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I don't think Mark Reuss has any other choice, if "climate change no time to waste" Biden legislates EV's in.

No wonder Mark does not look happy has that Smokey Robinson "Tracks of my tears" sort of face , there is very little he can do about that to be honest. If the US Government legislation forces them in on the automakers, GM have no choice other than comply with the law an make EV's.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I thought that was a photo of Charles Krauthammer at first, Krauthammer on a tirade that is. Mark either spent too much time under the tanning lamp or he's getting pretty woke about something. Hard to tell.
I think Mark looks a bit more like the legendry Smokey Robinson of the Motown car industry.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
44,314 Posts

Yes. But once the product launches, it really should just be a cascade of products.
All assuming that the Ultium EV foundation is actually well engineered and doesn't have significant issues.

I still think GM has the right strategy for this.
Focus on high margin, high visibility, but lower volume products first. Nail down the quality before expanding down the line.

·
Premium Member
34,965 Posts

eat GM's press release lunch you mean?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts